Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sandy

Getting the beginnings of this now, with the worst yet to come. All ferry service cut off today, as winds are picking up. I went near the beach a 1/2hour ago, really starting to pick up. You people north of me that are maybe not used to this, take this serious. For now, I have battened down everything, and going to have a toast to my buddy Fezz, who is driving right into this.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've done the same thing. It's gonna be interesting.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I left for work this morning, my wife had just sat down to pay bills (God bless her!)

I told he to put the checkbook away, and go back to bed...if the big storm is as bad as the forecasters say, we'll all be dead by Tuesday, so why bother?

I love that we have 2-3 "storms of the century" each year. (Is the weather sponsored by Duracell?)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm scheduled to fly into Baltimore Tuesday before heading to DC for the ABO-NCLE conference. Looks like that flight may not make it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    When I left for work this morning, my wife had just sat down to pay bills (God bless her!)

I told he to put the checkbook away, and go back to bed...if the big storm is as bad as the forecasters say, we'll all be dead by Tuesday, so why bother?

I love that we have 2-3 "storms of the century" each year. (Is the weather sponsored by Duracell?)
    Funny! That's what we usually think when the weather bunny channel sends Jim Cantore here to sensationalize these storms, and hype up the rest of the US. This one has me feeling a tad different, remember that I can see it from a birds eye view, not an afraid for my life storm, just nasty with lots of damage. People here are still recovering from Irene, which wrecked havoc right down the street from me, so I might be getting a little more cautious in my old age. I drove down the beach earlier and all the TV weather trucks are at the hotels, as I went to a hurricane party at a local business. Hey, it's what we do.

Stay safe people.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I'm scheduled to fly into Baltimore Tuesday before heading to DC for the ABO-NCLE conference. Looks like that flight may not make it.
    I'll be driving in, so I shouldn't have that problem. (I might drive one of the beater vans though, as opposed to my more comfortable ride. That way, if I run into problems, I can always ditch it!)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Funny! That's what we usually think when the weather bunny channel sends Jim Cantore here to sensationalize these storms, and hype up the rest of the US. This one has me feeling a tad different, remember that I can see it from a birds eye view, not an afraid for my life storm, just nasty with lots of damage. People here are still recovering from Irene, which wrecked havoc right down the street from me, so I might be getting a little more cautious in my old age. I drove down the beach earlier and all the TV weather trucks are at the hotels, as I went to a hurricane party at a local business. Hey, it's what we do.

Stay safe people.

You're a tough beach bum! You'll be fine, but I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Give me a call if you need some help in the aftermath.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    On second thought...my supply of wood is good, and my fireplace is looking downright cozy. I'm thinking I might just hunker down for the week. If it were a buying trip to Vegas, I might risk it, but the ABO-NCLE?

Speaking of which...if both political campaigns have suspended their operations for next week in Va., what are the chances that the ABO-NCLE event will even take place? There are a lot of flights that are going to be delayed.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "It is only moving north-east at 13mph, meaning it could hover for 36 hours over as many as 12 states, bringing up to 10in (25cm) of rain, 2ft of snow, extreme storm surges and power cuts.

States of emergency have been declared in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC and a coastal county in North Carolina."

Now that I think of it, how can they proceed with an event in an area that is in a state of emergency? Seems like an awful lot of liability. Of course, the storm is supposed to hit early in the week, and the event is not until later in the week, but still...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    For now, I have battened down everything, and going to have a toast to my buddy Fezz, who is driving right into this.
    I think the toast worked!

No worries here! I did not hit a drop of rain during my 14 hour trek! Lucky me!

I am worried about my dear bride that I left at home! It looks more and more like we are going to get thoroughly walloped!! I made sure that she and the doggies had water and provisions to see them thru. I actually may extend my stay because I fear getting back home may be a real nightmare!

Today I am going to hoist a few to you and hope you ride it out with no problems!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Winds steady at 30-35, gusts to 60. More to come tomorrow. Power flickered last night, but all our lines are underground. Getting pretty sporty!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have the generator ready, and the sumps - Fireplace is stoked, and we have a grill for cooking outside if necessary -- our biggest worry is the wind, since the most recent computer models project that the heavy rain will be further west in NY than we are. We have 3 monster maples in the back yard, and I don't want them to come down on top of us! Yikes! Five years ago one of them crashed a big branch on my car. I just hope everybody is safe and sound.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alls well here in the Outer Banks, high winds and rain. I just stopped at the office, and the window is leaking again, so a little clean up and off to the beach. I am going to attempt to get some pics, not sure with the wind how far I can get, but I will try. When I get home, here's one to brother Fezz! And don't let me forget brother Johns, for his standing offer of help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, lots of flooding in the usual areas, Mid-Town Tunnel is closed. Waiting for the real mess, which is supposed to be tomorrow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, but no pics here. I went to the beach, and it's ugly. Flooding and overwash, and winds too high, I don't need to be sandblasted. I will think about it latter on, but the rain has arrived here right now. Route 12 south of me is closed due to flooding, and it looks like most of Hatteras Island is under water. The water is getting a little bit worse than I expected, oh well, another toast to Fezz! It is what it is, and I can't control it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Praying for all of my friends up the coast and northeast. I won't be flying to DC until Wednesday. I think the weather should move out by then.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just got one of those "emergency notice" calls. The Lynnhaven River Basin (that's where we are) is expected to flood in areas that are lower than 6 ft. above sea level. So far, that's the sidewalk out front. We shall see.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Just got one of those "emergency notice" calls. The Lynnhaven River Basin (that's where we are) is expected to flood in areas that are lower than 6 ft. above sea level. So far, that's the sidewalk out front. We shall see.
    Same here Judy. My wife just showed me a pic on her facebook page from right down the street from us, all under water. It's not raining tons here, wind is very bad, but it is in fact a sand dune I live on out in the ocean. As to sea level, I am about 12 feet above, with living level about 22 feet, as yes I live on "stilts" :-)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quick update 1/2 hr later. Conditions worsening big time, wind up big time, rain up, getting very nasty. Wind gusts shaking the house enough to get our attention. To you people north of me, take this serious, as you are going to get it worse then me. Oh well, another toast to Fezz in the sun!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Scary news!!!!

Thanks for the update and phone call!

Stay safe and salute!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, the wind and rain have really picked up around here in the last few minutes. Rattling the windows, but I have a fresh bottle of The Black Grouse to keep me warm....well, that and Keith! =)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    All the folks here in the Midwest are thinking of you and praying.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For Irene, my daughter's house got two feet of water in the basement. We are better prepared this time with pumps (but I don't want to jinx it). Hope the power holds out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My prayers go out to all my pts who got clobbered on the ct coast last year who only just got their houses back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wind and rain are really fierce right now. I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon.

Thread Information