Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She will get much more rain than we will (we are in between Syracuse & Utica), but we will get more wind, and it's starting to crank up now. Our dogs are getting antsy. I am ready for another glass of wine (whine?) and it's only around 5:30 p.m. I just want this to be OVER.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, getting home was a chore. Yes the road was flooded, just more then I have seen there in years. I know there's a special way around, a street with gates that connect to another sub-division, couldn't find it, and the local police are of no assistance, just watching cars go through the water. If you stay on the crown of the road, it looked to be about 18", when I cut though to avoid it, I saw someone wading in from across the street, and it was up to their mid chest. Thanks to another local, I found the cut through, and stayed out of the water doing it. All the business's in that area on the east side are under water, 2-4' of water. It may me months before we can drive on beach road again, as so much of it looks ripped up. Heavy equipment sitting at a couple intersections, I presume for a break in the weather to start clearing.

Bonner bridge to Hatteras has been closed due to structural issues, not a good sign. That's the only way on and off, other then boat or ferry. The bridge has had issues for years, and was set to start new construction in 2013, but lawsuits stopped it again. Save a bird, kill an Island! I'm going to try to walk back to the sound, as the wind has definitely shifted from the west, and now the water comes back.

Tomorrow will be better!

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to hear about all the damage.

We have no power at my house in NH, and the wind took most of our barn down last night.

The office has power though, so I didn't get a day off work. I hope its back on soon, otherwise the patients are going to complain about my lack of bathing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My heart goes out to each and every one of you who has sustained any type of damage/loss. I pray that each of you remains safe and can recover soon.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My heart goes out to each of you as well.
    Question for those of you in NYC. My family is scheduled to be visiting NYC the weekend of Nov 9th for my daughters 16th birthday. Our plan was to stay close to times square and see some of the tourist attractions. We also hoped to do some shopping and see a play. Do you feel we are good to go or should we reschedule for a later time?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope everyone is safe and alive. My thoughts are with all of you on the East coast.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    got my power back at home. Office still out. My home and office buildings are ok, but there is utter devastation around me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ADO View Post
    My heart goes out to each of you as well.
    Question for those of you in NYC. My family is scheduled to be visiting NYC the weekend of Nov 9th for my daughters 16th birthday. Our plan was to stay close to times square and see some of the tourist attractions. We also hoped to do some shopping and see a play. Do you feel we are good to go or should we reschedule for a later time?
    Midtown Manhattan never really lost power. I can only tell you second hand that traveling into Manhattan by car or taxi is almost impossible right now. Most of the tunnels are still closed, and whatever is open is jammed. Once you get to Midtown, you should be ok. There should be a lot of improvement by the ninth.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    got my power back at home. Office still out. My home and office buildings are ok, but there is utter devastation around me.
    I can't imagine it! Normal will be a long way off...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Midtown Manhattan never really lost power. I can only tell you second hand that traveling into Manhattan by car or taxi is almost impossible right now. Most of the tunnels are still closed, and whatever is open is jammed. Once you get to Midtown, you should be ok. There should be a lot of improvement by the ninth.
    I just got an update...all cars entering Manhattan must have at least 3 passengers in them or they will be turned away.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad you are safe Doc, and like I said earlier here, I thought we had it bad. I made it to work this morning in about 8 minutes, road clear of water thanks to about 5 pumps running from NCDOT. I also made it to the beach today, and again, great progress in 3 days, but lots of damage and erosion. The sand is being moved, people are actively cleaning up their business's and homes, we will move past this again. Roads are getting cleaned up, and we still have a loooooong way to go, but like all of us, we will get through this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You can't believe the tidal surge over one mile inland...or maybe you can. In Staten Island (Population 500k minus about 15 deaths so far.). The water poured up the street from the shore like a raging river, topping out at at least four feet. Cars were moved. Houses were washed off their foundations. I consider my property damage minimal. We have very limited communication. No land lines, no cell service except very intermittent texting. Just this evening I am able to steal Wifi from my sons house across the street, No power except what I can produce with my generator. Gasoline is gold right now. Crazy people driving around in their cars as if they had somewhere to go. There are no traffic lights. I have one person working for me just to get gasoline. Tomorrow if I can get some phone service, I will put somebody on calling my insurance companies. I'm sure I don't have flood insurance, but I do have roof damage.

oh, enough for now...good luck to those affected.
    Last edited by fjpod; 11-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hang in there Doc!

I can not even imagine what folks are going through. It is heartbreaking!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel so bad for those affected. I hope you are all making do until things settle a little. I was lucky enough to be about 12 miles inland (think Mohegan Sun), so we got a lot of wind, but my husband said that the piers at the navy base were completely covered by water. It's SOP to get the subs out to sea, but I'm not sure they were able to do that this year in New London. I never asked. Our shoreline office was not flooded, but is still without power. But NONE of it was as bad as so many are facing. Sending good thoughts to you all!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 11-01-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: ......

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    obxeyeguy,

Be happy that you only have to deal with storm damage, and not a moron mayor like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...211937043.html

Read the comments...they' re priceless.

I feel bad for you fjpod. You guys got the triple whammy!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    obxeyeguy,

Be happy that you only have to deal with storm damage, and not a moron mayor like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...211937043.html

Read the comments...they' re priceless.

I feel bad for you fjpod. You guys got the triple whammy!
    Sad comments. I deleted as to not add fuel to a fire, but we all can see the fire is burning brightly. So glad I left NY to move here 12 years ago, a state that will never get it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Two sisters that work for me had their family home washed away. One of my opticians and his family was flooded out of their apartment. We tried to open the office today on generator power...but it wasn't stable enough to run the file server. We had to shut it down, so it was impossible to do record keeping and accounting.

But on a bright note, one of our first patients was a young woman that came in crying that she had been forced to wear her CLs round the clock for 3 days because her glasses were washed away in the storm and her eyes were killing her. We made her a pair of glasses on the spot for free. She also picked up her CL order she had purchased the prior week. She and her mother were basically living out of a car because they lost their home.

We had an emergency worker come in with broken glasses pleading for a speedy repair so he could get back to work. He was working with a police department boat rescue unit. Got him out quick.

One of my big problems is I have 35 employees and very little work. It will come back, but...Yikes.

We've always had an old joke among the partners...no matter how hard we try to kill this practice, it keeps coming back.

Thread Information