Thread: A question for Wholesale Folks

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A question for Wholesale Folks

Have you ever had problems getting your "outsourced" jobs back?

A while ago I was having trouble with one of our usual "farm out" labs. I thought I had identified an alternative solution, and proceeded to send them some work.

All seemed well in the beginning, and it just so happened over a month/6 week period of time I had a huge influx of this type of lens we can't do in house. So since I was happy in the beginning.. I sent around a dozen orders to this new lab.

Fast forward.

Three remakes, and almost 3 months later.. I still have work from the beginning of August that has not arrived to the office.

I have called, sent emails, beg, pleaded.."It's shipping today!" "Oops! The tag came off in the mail and got sent back.. will send it again tonight!" and so it goes.

To make matters sting all the more, the orders I have sent the lab I was originally unhappy with, have come back in record time.. making me seem all the more the fool for bucking the system.

I have duplicate orders in place now for two of the orders still in limbo.

How would you proceed?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would think that the value of the frames/lenses and time "missing" could warrant filing a police report?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm.. I guess every other wholesale lab rat always has great luck in dealing with other labs :P I need someone to share their play book!

As far as this is going. I talked to the credit card company tonight about the redo's that we still don't have back. Since I paid for them via CC, I do have some protection there as far as getting money back. The worst part is the lost revenue I have in not only replacing product, but in lost work due to this major snafu.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Any good company in any type of business.....................

Any good company in any type of business, these days of instant communication does communicate. If they do not, drop them. Some rimes it is worth some more money to get what you need and want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They have been dropped. The issue is that they still have 7 of my jobs. I keep getting the run around about shipping, etc. for 2-3 weeks now. For a newer lab, this is a huge amount of money to have to now purchase replacement frames, and get the lenses from a new source. Particularly when you have already paid for two of those orders because they were redos.

Thread Information