Thread: Lab Efficiency tips

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lab Efficiency tips

Hi OptiBoard!
    I have a fairly small size lab using Essilor Gamma tracer and edger. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on speeding up the edging time!? I've thought of cutting the water off but not sure how or when is best to do so. Since i'm on my own it's getting difficult to handle ordering/checking/glazing/dotting up and then making sure jobs are out as quick as they can be! I've turned off auto-chamfer and I just do that myself on a hand-edger, which has helped a little. I'm having to glaze a lot more Trivex now too. Any help grateful...cheers guys!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome you to Optiboard!

I can't be of much help, but I wonder what type of roughing wheel that you are using? Maybe a more aggressive wheel would speed things up a bit?

I am sure one of members will step up and help!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not sure about Gamma, but Kappa does not do a good job on trivex with the original set of wheels.
    If you are in to trivex you need to search for a new set of wheels.
    Otherwise you cant speed up the edger unless you are cutting every job in 4-5 tryes....
    Then you need calibration

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Add another edger to the lab. Dedicate the edger to doing specific types of jobs, and/or lenses. Chances are, your efficiency is decreased because the edger's task load is too great for the size/type of edger that you have.

Start by timing the edger in it's various cycles.........................you may want to upgrade, or change brands.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doubt another edger will speed up and be efficient in the one man show!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Fezz. Get a wheel made for Trivex. It will go through other materials like butter!

http://www.superabrasive.us/products...ng-wheels.html

On roughing cycle turn your water off on poly and Trivex.

As far as one man, 2 edgers, an optician at my 2nd location runs a 7070 next to a Lex. CR and non-polish full frames through the 7070 everything else through the Lex. It cuts his lab time down a lot.

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are the lenses cribbed to the smallest diameter needed to cut out. Ive started attaching shapes to all my uncut/AR orders otherwise we grind inhouse and crib to smallest diameter needed. We also replaced any 75mm stock sv with 70mm when available, every little bit helps and we dont miss the 75's at all.
    Mike

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love 75 mm +4.00 lenses!!!!
    Curvy and thick!!!!
    Screaming for upgrade!!! :)

PS I did not know 75 still exists!
    Switched to 70-65-60 years ago!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cheers guys!! I try to remember what frames will need extra sizing down instead of trial and error but you're right you'll always get one that just doesn't seem to want to fit! I might create one or two shapes for future reference - thanks . I like the idea of trivex wheel for other lenses! im staring not to polish most jobs now too. Not sure about turning water off and how but I thought that might speed it up so I can get on with other stuff in lab. Ps my DO wouldn't allow 75mm +4D !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Welcome to Optiboard Chris. Sorry I don't have personal experience on the Gamma's. New wheel for trivex, adjust speeds and timings, or a add another edger and work between the two. I believe Salem makes a Trivex wheel that we use, it helps a lot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No polish will at least double your production on the older wheel!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    No polish will at least double your production on the older wheel!
    Would separate auto edge polisher be faster? Who makes one?
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nahhh!
    Too complicated!
    How many jobs you cut a day anyway?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Make sure you are using our time the most effective way possible. Edge the jobs in an order that lets you keep the machine running as much as possible(E.G. a few CR jobs after a trivex string mount that takes some dressing before you can mount it.) Refine your calibrations so that anything more than one cut is an exception, these machines are expensive and do indeed work that accurately.

How well is the machine maintained? (I think this will be the same as my Kappa) We had a thrust bearing going bad that slowed poly and trivex roughing times down to obscene levels. Just a though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only polish what really needs to be polished now and set a tribes job spinning when im sorting something out. I only manage to get through about 45pairs a day though. I've been told it should be more though. The machines are fairly new I checked the calibration and it seems all good. Just finding your 'flow' I guess

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    45 jobs a day is a stout number for one person and only one edger. More so if you are having to check power, frame trace and glazing everything as well. How many hours is your work day?
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    I think 45 jobs with one tech doing layout-checkout is pretty damn good! Is there anyone who can help you with checkout? Start them inspecting after ~20 jobs and let the rest flow thorough?

A second edger would help as you could reserve your slow running on it, leaving your primary edger more flexible to add rush jobs into the middle of workflow (if ya'll have that issue)

Do you use the bar-codes?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stop complaining!
    If you do 45 jobs a day and have some more left u need a second person and a second edger! Preferably a good one and a quick one.
    Something like MR Blue and your Kappa. Might be a chalange to get them to work together from one tracer and blocker....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are doing 45.....50 finish jobs a day by yourself from layout to final inspection cleaned and wraped up to go.

Then it time for a beer and put your feet up for a bit. That is a expected days work.

Now if you combine that with having to answer the phone, wait on patients adjust repair trouble shoot do inventory wait on sales reps deal with insurance issues. Then Dude..........your super awesome. Your showing us up. And there is no union that would have you because you would be making others look really really bad.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cheers guys! I suppose increasing the number of jobs would only mean silly errors creeping in. Just always conscious of how I can improve and whether any other guys do more - my lab is lonely!! but at least no one hears my occasional stab in the hand with the screwdriver and then my girly yelp!
    I'm getting the machine calibrated within the next week just to keep the lab standards as high as they can be! I'll keep monitoring the number of jobs that are out of the lab each week

Thread Information