Thread: Spartan Edger Help

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Spartan Edger Help

My Edger has been a pain in the behind for awhile now. For some reason, even with light pressure selected, the chuck clamps too hard. The result is a starburst pattern that originates from the point of chuck contact and radiates outward in the lens. This happens in all materials and coatings (w/AR & w/out AR). It's more frequent with higher plus rx's. I work for LC so my access to tech support is limited to our internal department. I have received a new chuck motor, chuck pads, Edger main board, and anything else related to the chuck. This unfortunately hasn't resolved the problem. The replacement of the main board did stop the chuck from "punching" the lens but it still clamps too hard. It appears that the edger isn't receiving the needed feedback from the chuck to signal the clamping too stop. Any suggestions?

On another note and maybe related, frames with large A and small B measurements often come out too long and need to be hand-sized down. This may be related to excessive head pressure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its been a while since I used a Spartan. For the edger, have you checked to make sure the belt is all smooth. Also has the EPROM chip been replaced?

It used to be (granted its been YEARS) that you could request a loaner from the equipment center, and send yours in. You may want to consider that. Even with the $$$ shipping charges.

For the frame size issue, it has to do with the trace. What tracer are you using? Sometimes it is the pressure from the stylus creating a "stretch" effect. If you have the ability, I often go into my pattern menu and edit the shape. Increasing the B by 1mm, and decreasing the A by 1.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Its been a while since I used a Spartan. For the edger, have you checked to make sure the belt is all smooth. Also has the EPROM chip been replaced?
    I assume the EPROM chip is on the main board? If so, I received an entire new board.

It used to be (granted its been YEARS) that you could request a loaner from the equipment center, and send yours in. You may want to consider that. Even with the $$$ shipping charges.
    That program is no longer.

For the frame size issue, it has to do with the trace. What tracer are you using? Sometimes it is the pressure from the stylus creating a "stretch" effect. If you have the ability, I often go into my pattern menu and edit the shape. Increasing the B by 1mm, and decreasing the A by 1.
    I'm using an Envoy tracer. I'll look into that today when I get in to work.

Thanks for the tips

Thread Information