Thread: Albany Practical Exam

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Albany Practical Exam

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask about few things about the practical exam. I just took my Contact Lens and Ophthalmic Dispensing exams in Albany NY. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the results. I am going crazy just thinking what i should have, would have, could have done. Like for example based on the patient profile I chose daily disposable contact lens and I thought i dont need to explain solution system for it since the patient does not want to bother with solutions. Or during dispensing exam, sometimes i didnt treat the examinator as a patient, but i was just explaining what i would recommend or choose for him. For both exams i finished like 5 mins before time. Could have used that time to double check my neutralization. What are the point for each portion ? I just wonder how is it graded. What is the main thing that they look at or what are the critical errors. Thank you for you responses, its been 3rd day and I cant get over with it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Anyone ?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am moving this thread to the General Discussion Forum for you, since you are more likely to get responses due to the broader range of members who frequent that forum.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by piekarnew1 View Post
    Im not sure if this is the right place to ask about few things about the practical exam. I just took my Contact Lens and Ophthalmic Dispensing exams in Albany NY. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the results. I am going crazy just thinking what i should have, would have, could have done. Like for example based on the patient profile I chose daily disposable contact lens and I thought i dont need to explain solution system for it since the patient does not want to bother with solutions. Or during dispensing exam, sometimes i didnt treat the examinator as a patient, but i was just explaining what i would recommend or choose for him. For both exams i finished like 5 mins before time. Could have used that time to double check my neutralization. What are the point for each portion ? I just wonder how is it graded. What is the main thing that they look at or what are the critical errors. Thank you for you responses, its been 3rd day and I cant get over with it.
    The exams are graded by ScanTron machine, and the passing scores and psychometric data are established by a psychometrician (testing expert) who is contracted by Capitol Hill Testing Services. The actual scoring etc. is usually done within 10 days. However, any candidates who are within 5 points of passing are given the opportunity to "challenge" their scores. CHTS arranges a date for those candidates to come to Albany to personally view their exam results, and write a challenge to the scoring which (in their opinion) justifies a change in grade. After the "challenge day", the results are turned over to the NYS Board for Ophthalmic Dispensing. Board members go over the challenges, and ratify the final scores. Yes - sometimes scores are changed to the candidate's benefit. This meeting takes place the first Monday in December. That is why results take longer to be distributed.

Listening to the questions very carefully (you had a copy of the questions in front of you so that you could follow along) and answering each aspect of the question is important. Documenting your answers on the provided order forms is a written record of what you recommended to the patient

Finishing early is not an indicator of failure; in fact it often indicates quite the opposite. Times allowed for each task on the exams have been designed to accommodate the slowest of candidates.

Explaining your procedures and recommendations is exactly what you should be doing with a patient, and most tasks required explanation and product knowledge.

I cannot give you the point values for each task, however lens neutralization is a major task, as is using the instruments in the CL portion.

I am employed by CHTS, and was at the exam site when you took your exam. We go to great lengths to insure that the exam runs well for both the candidates, and the examiners. They have been selected for their knowledge, and the calm way that they interact with (usually quite nervous) candidates.

I hope that your exam results are good ones!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thank you for the response.

Thread Information