Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: warby is a ripoff, and a rant

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, if the differences between online retailers and big-box retailers is our skill level, how do you monetize that skill and experience?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Smith--"I can get the same stuff from (Frames Direct, Warby Parker, Coastal Contacts, Glasses.com, LensCrafters)"

Opt--"But you won't get my services and skills!"

Mr. Smith--"I can get that stuff anywhere for free."

If you have read any of my articles, you would know that bundling lenses and frames is something that I do support. What I'm talking about is separating professional fees from hardware.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again, we don't have a problem separating fitting fees from exam and contact lenses. Why so much angst over eyewear?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    You're not. But you *can be* by a $750 per *pair* of eyeglasses, which...are not costed out per night, but per TWO-THREE year period.

The common thread between these things is the $750.00 People react the same way to that figure, without thinking of the time spread difference.

B
    Apples and oranges. It only applies if I pay for the room once and can use it every day.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Evolution takes time...Who's first to try?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not try a "side by side" trial. Offer a single bundled price as usual and an unbundled price for eyewear and an eyewear service package.
    OR
    Poll your patients...which scenario do they consider a better value?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What we have accomplished here in this very public forum is provide advertising for Warby Parker and the like, without offering a single defense of the value of skill and experience.

I don't dispense any longer, but my success and the success of the independent lab that I represent depends on helping ECP's remain successful in an ever changing marketplace. If we continue to do what we have always done, we will continue to get what we've always gotten...unless and until our patients figure out how much we are willing to do for free.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper My personal optical roots were planted in an optical business ....................

If your thinking goes along folowing these lines:

optical24/7
    I don't recommend products to clients based on my pocketbook, nor do I have opticians for clients. Not taking insurance allows us to reduce our margins compared to my B&M competition. So yes, the vast majority of what we retail is within an average families budget. (this includes well made frames, digital lenses and top notch treatments.)

My personal optical roots were planted in an optical business working along 24/7 the principles, or Barry Santinis or Craig's model at http://www.ryseroptik.ch/

A business that well survived since it was founded in1905 which is a 107 years ago.
    It went through its fifth renovation 5 years ago, over the last 55 years. It survived the influx of discount opticians in the 1960s and the discount chains flooding Europe starting in the 1980s and is still there serving a type of customers that love being pampered and can afford to pay the prices and service they get.

When accounting indicates that we still have profitableb usiness, all is well and fine, as we have survived everything thrown at usover the last 107 years.

So I am very familiar with the thinking of our friends here on OptiBoard that defend the status quo, that will not change whatever is thrown at us.

If you invest some time into an internet search that getsyou from point to point you will find out that some of our large optical conglomerates, which are also some your large suppliers, have invested insetting up huge lab operations in some overseas countries that can employ wellover 1000 employees each.

With new ordering systems over the web your order isreceived within seconds, and when you want to talk to them, the over the web VOIP phones let you talk to them or anybody else for $ 29.95 am month.Fedex/UPS/and DHL are willing to take a load of small boxes in mail bags atspecial bulk pricing for delivery to this or any other continent for local distribution.

The quality of work done at these lab is stipulated by they're owners, the world wide optical corporations. The only difference would be that some lens products are sold under different brand names and local prices in different countries.

Conclusion: Is it not time to start thinking out of the box ?...........and not base all thoughts on on this continent and check out what is happening on a broader view and start adapting your own way for your own benefit ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great point Chris.
    There will be more suppliers going forward who will work this way, direct with independents in North America. Labs and Frame suppliers. Shipping is currently a bit of a barrier but as you say, bulk order shipping will bring the prices down.
    Direct=from=factory frames, a personalized collection of house-branded frames, with minimal order qty, even "one-zeez" is becoming possible, I know at least a couple of Chinese factories are trying to gear up for this scenario. If they can do surfaced made-to-order lenses, why not frames too?
    I've tried one chinese lab for progressives and while the service was fast enough, the AR was a PUKE FEST. Like a scene out of Friday the 13th. Ugly. But I'm willing to try again when I get some fresh contacts.
    Creative ways to bring better-priced options, house brands to our clientele. That is a HUGE piece of artillery we can use in fighting against our on-line and HUGE MEGA CONGLOMERATE (NO NAMES MENTIONED) suppliers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have angst over it, but what are you gonna do?

Here's the "value added" that consumers pay for at an optical vs. a website:
    1. Professional service. That is the vast majority of it. I would never measure myself for a suit and buy it online. It would be a joke.
    2. Convenience. YES, IT'S ACTUALLY MORE CONVENIENT to try on frames than guess how you'll look.
    3. "The experience". Person-to-person, latte-to-latte, music-to-music, skinny person wearing black clothes-to-skinny person wearing black clothes.
    4. Reassurance that their purchase will be satisfactory.

If opticals focus on this (non-exhaustive) list, then there will always be a market.

Remember: there are only two things that people buy: 1.) solutions to problems, and 2.) good feelings.

We gotta sell good feelings, too, not just solutions to problems. A person who genuinely cares about you is a very valuable thing.

Occupation
    Here is a translated article from a German Optical Journal on " Mr Specs" right now the top traffic rated on-line website:

Friday 19, October 2012
    Mister Spex: Erweiterterung the logistics center

Doubling of the operational staff planned in the next three years

The Mister Spex online optician is expanding its headquarters in Berlin. In the district of Prenzlauer Berg, the company expanded its logistics area to 1,250 square meters and is thus one of the planned revenue and capacity growth in the next three years. The number of employees in the areas of logistics, customer service and opticians workshop will be doubled during this period, the company said. Currently SmartBuyGlasses employed by its own account in these areas about 50 employees.

"We are already the market leader in the German online optical market, have more than 400,000 customers and send out up to 4,000 packages a day," said Mister Spex managing director Dirk Graber. "Since we are in Germany and Europe still see great potential for growth, we are expanding the operational departments."
    With 17 million euros in sales in 2011 and an expected increase of more than 50 percent in 2012, Mister Spex heard loud ranking of the Central Association of Optometrists Already one of the ten largest companies in the German optics.

see at ---------------> http://www.euro-focus.de/index.php/n...istikzentrums/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1. Everyday sending out 4000 packages, whole year sales 17 millions euros, average sale volume per package is 11.64 euros.
    2. From above numbers, we can judge most of their sales are of contact lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here is a translated article from a German Optical Journal on " Mr Specs" right now the top traffic rated on-line website:

Friday 19, October 2012
    Mister Spex: Erweiterterung the logistics center

Doubling of the operational staff planned in the next three years

The Mister Spex online optician is expanding its headquarters in Berlin. In the district of Prenzlauer Berg, the company expanded its logistics area to 1,250 square meters and is thus one of the planned revenue and capacity growth in the next three years. The number of employees in the areas of logistics, customer service and opticians workshop will be doubled during this period, the company said. Currently SmartBuyGlasses employed by its own account in these areas about 50 employees.

"We are already the market leader in the German online optical market, have more than 400,000 customers and send out up to 4,000 packages a day," said Mister Spex managing director Dirk Graber. "Since we are in Germany and Europe still see great potential for growth, we are expanding the operational departments."
    With 17 million euros in sales in 2011 and an expected increase of more than 50 percent in 2012, Mister Spex heard loud ranking of the Central Association of Optometrists Already one of the ten largest companies in the German optics.

see at ---------------> http://www.euro-focus.de/index.php/n...istikzentrums/

Occupation

Blue Jumper The calculation is correct but only applies to the shipping cost per parcel..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

1. Everyday sending out 4000 packages, whole year sales 17 millions euros, average sale volume per package is 11.64 euros.
    2. From above numbers, we can judge most of their sales are of contact lenses.

Would like to correct above statement...............................

The calculation is correct but only applies to the shipping cost per parcel as far as I understand. Therefore it is not contact lenses. Mrspecs is the top ranking website on the net and Warby parker is number 2 these days.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    We gotta sell good feelings, too, not just solutions to problems. A person who genuinely cares about you is a very valuable thing.
    Again, the book "Hug Your Customers" is the bible here.

B

Thread Information