Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSP signature / choice

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A few years ago, I predicted that this would happen. I have 4 accounts that dropped VSP entirely this year (3 of them are doing really well). We will see a division among OD's who take VSP and see 4 patients per hour as a result, and those that don't and see 2-3 per hour. VSP is following Eyemad, who is following Davis, who is... well, its a race to the bottom of the barrel. The problem with seeing more patients per hour is that the 70% of patients who don't have VSP will want a higher service level an go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I heard this week, that in Calif (and maybe a couple more states) that VSP will ONLY offering VSP CHOICE to potential clients starting in Jan 2013, and will start transferring current clients who already has VSP Sign to VSP choice in the next 2 -3 years.

THAT is why VSP will be buying more labs, that is why the current labs I now use for VSP sign are coming to my office wanting to show me how to do SLA (Special Lens Options) for things like Vallilux S and Sapphire AR so that all the VSP Choice jobs wont go to VSP labs.

More and more of my pts are VSP Choice and I have to use VSP lab in Sacramento (or I just started this week trying VSP lab 1 in San Diego for Choice jobs only , not Healthy Family) -- and I REALLY dislike VSP lab and their low quality, high breakage and slow delivery.

I am now doing 2 -3 times more VSP Choice here in Calif than I do VSP Signature ( a BIG change from even 1 year ago) and it sounds like soon I will only be doing VSP Choice, HF or RNP (State of Calif) VSP pts and only send my jobs to VSP labs.

Thoughts?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And if they do turn out like Lux, will we be hurt? No, because it's easy to beat Lenscrafters on quality and believe it or not, price in some cases. VSP has their own labs, own frames, own software, now they just need a retail front. And a new marketing theme that will tell us how much they are helping us!!

Everybody needs to be on board with their state IPA (vision care direct). I love ours a lot better than the others.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    unfortunately a common refrain. VSP not using the simple incentive of providing high speed and quality, instead, they are offering self branded products combined with force to get you to comply to their collective. Its up to you wether you will be absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    -- and I REALLY dislike VSP lab and their low quality, high breakage and slow delivery.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    The monopoly has begun, they all ready have given my lab the excuse Jubilee posted, as well as other lame ones. This is clearly a conflict of interest. If I, or any independant lab, agrees to the pricing policy that VSP has, what difference does it make, other than giving Opticians the "true" freedom of choice to find a lab in the system that provides fast service and quality work. It's crap for sure, I say we rally together as independants and do our best to provide cost effective goods and services to the "insurance rebellion" that is sure to come. Bring back free choice!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The other consideration is that as reimbursements drop, and VSP offers "spiffs" or incentives on their own products, providers become more entrenched and dependant on VSP as they try to make up some of that drop. Its a dangerous precedent because you are no longer choosing the best lens for the patient, you are choosing a lens soley to stay alive. Its one more step closer to thinking like a big chain.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    The official response we constantly receive is "we have several contract labs in your area, and you don't offer anything our members can't get elsewhere."
    Is what they are saying true? I know we have a number of options for VSP Contract labs and the reason we don't use any of them is the pricing is the same on VSP work and within a reasonable difference on non VSP aka private work and while they continually offer their own private label products they never seem to focus on my needs but rather their own. There really isn't much of a difference any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sjoseph51 View Post
    This is clearly a conflict of interest. If I, or any independant lab, agrees to the pricing policy that VSP has, what difference does it make, other than giving Opticians the "true" freedom of choice to find a lab in the system that provides fast service and quality work.
    I don't follow you on the conflict of interest? Just because your lab or others agree to the pricing policy doesn't mean they have to add you to the network. I don't need yet another lab rep calling on us. With what over 250+ labs nationwide, do we really need another one? I don't feel in any way I'm limited on choices.

It's crap for sure, I say we rally together as independants and do our best to provide cost effective goods and services to the "insurance rebellion" that is sure to come. Bring back free choice!!
    The way I see it is the insurance rebellion is more Obamacare than anything else. As an independent, I'm seeing a very strong likelihood that the gov't run exchanges will likely severally limit private insurance choices and run several out of business. What's left will be mainly medical and even those will be limited and I don't foresee any more panel providers being added to them nor any fee increases. Neither will happen. With Eyemed being underwritten by Fidelity, I have no doubt they are poised to be in for some huge growth and it's no wonder why they are expanding operations overseas in hopes of the wave of retail sales headed their way. Bottom line is the Gov't is going to drive people to the exchanges and those exchanges will drive people to retail more than any where else.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Its a dangerous precedent because you are no longer choosing the best lens for the patient, you are choosing a lens soley to stay alive. Its one more step closer to thinking like a big chain.
    perhaps but let's be real.....most of our peers as OD's choose products based on price and profits. let's no kid ourselves. with so many flocking to VisionSource, and other buying groups and choosing products and labs based on pricing, let's face the facts. most all brands offer products that will help our patients see better so in the end is there a huge range in quality from one to another? not if you're working with some of the better products to begin with. in the end, consolidation in the industry is inevitable so you're right as noted above, pick the boat you want to ride on now.

Thread Information