Thread: First progressive?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Good first progressive for a low myope?

Any recommendations for a first non-digital progressive? Patient is a low myope with low cyl in the OS and a 1.25 add. Thanks!
    Last edited by PipeDrummer24; 10-09-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Signet Navigator and Navigator short is a good one introductory inexpensive PAL

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Shamir First Pal

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SightStar from Luzerne. Of course.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Shoreview or Amplitude are good as an inexpensive molded progressive. The Image is another good lens that hasn't been listed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sightstar- Good price, good service. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curious as to why not digital? Many options exist that are priced extremely competitively with traditionally ground lens designs, and several offer POW customization as well if cost is the only reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Curious as to why not digital? Many options exist that are priced extremely competitively with traditionally ground lens designs, and several offer POW customization as well if cost is the only reason.
    +1 Totally agree here. Why not digital. At least give the option.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    With the options given I was waiting for someone to say Zenni Optical.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    SERENO (IS) from Tokai Japan

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PipeDrummer24 View Post
    Any recommendations for a first non-digital progressive? Patient is a low myope with low cyl in the OS and a 1.25 add. Thanks!
    Most will just take them off if the spherical equivilant is close to the Add power. If it's closer to plano, then most will prefer SVRO. Otherwise, use PALs that have reduced levels of unwanted astigmatism, skew distortion, with slightly longer corridors. Some examples, in order of decreasing costs- MySyle or iD, Definity, Creation, Shoreview.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If not needing a short corridor then Instinctive (Zeiss) is a great value for you as well as the patient. If a short corridor then I recommend either a Compact Ultra or GT2 short

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A generic Free-form would still be less than most grinders. Still better than most of the older bargain lenses. For first progressives, most patients favor a distance emphasized design, and with a 1.25 add they will only use the corridor for close work or reading, depending on the top power.

you have a lot of good choices, but Free-form will be less jarring as it offers lower total potential distortion.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going to turn this upside down. First time progressive wearers should have two things: No real perception at distance that anything is going on, and since they are younger, usable reading way higher than an experienced wearer would tolerate.

The two seem incompatible, don't they?

Try the Shamir Intouch. It's a non-p.o.w. corrected hard distance design, with a soft add that comes on faster (and wider) than any lens I've seen so far. Your younger patients want that add power on their laptops and phones. Since the add power is low to begin with, it won't be usable until they've gotten all the way down (where they are NOT used to turning their eyes).

Yeah, it's pricier..did I mention these youngsters are earning 2-3 times what we do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snotbagel View Post
    I'm going to turn this upside down. First time progressive wearers should have two things: No real perception at distance that anything is going on, and since they are younger, usable reading way higher than an experienced wearer would tolerate.

The two seem incompatible, don't they?

Try the Shamir Intouch. It's a non-p.o.w. corrected hard distance design, with a soft add that comes on faster (and wider) than any lens I've seen so far. Your younger patients want that add power on their laptops and phones. Since the add power is low to begin with, it won't be usable until they've gotten all the way down (where they are NOT used to turning their eyes).

Yeah, it's pricier..did I mention these youngsters are earning 2-3 times what we do?

I like your style. I've fit the Intouch with success myself, people who are glued to their iphones love it.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am wearing my first progressive, a Shamir First PAL. I'm a moderate (-3.50 OD, -2.75 OS) myope with 0.50 cyl and a +1.00 add. I love it. Although not needed for intermediate it is a welcome addition, and wonderful at warding off end of the day fatigue. I can focus on screw heads without peering under my lenses now. This lens is also a great lens for looking into an IPhone for extended periods of time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would, and do, recommend Toledo Optical's Visionary Max digital progressive. It's only a little more than GT2 but better !

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recommendations on a 1.67 polarized PAL? Varilux S, Shamir Attitude, KBCO EOS Wrap??

My O.D. wants a new pair of polarized sunglasses. This will be his 2nd pair of progressive lenses, the 1st one was the 1.74 Advanced HD by US optical. He seems to have adapted to it well (He is not a complainer). He thought he would try to get away with a CR-39 Ovation, tinted...too much distortion in the peripheral. (I do not care for any Rx compensated lens, I have tried it myself, the lenses lack in acuity.) These lenses will be comp from Essilor....any recommendations??

High Myope/light astigmatism/1.75ADD

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    its a no brainer, all lenses will Work fine, whit that low add, there will be no problems what so ever, take the cheapest lens you can find. best regards peter

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're saying that , in a comparison, that all TV's work fine , find the cheapest you can find and compare the picture from an old standard tube to one of the new high definition models. If you can't see the difference, you can't see. I haven't heard on this board the "WOW" factor lately but see it daily in my office when people pick up their high definition Visionary Max Lenses by Toledo Optical. Be fore -warned though, you'll need to hire more opticians or pay a lot of overtime to handle the increased business.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    take picolo from shamir, whit an 1.25 add.

Thread Information