View Poll Results: How much are you influenced by optical industry spiff programs

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spiff programs are part of our daily sales programs.

7 16.28%
  • We occasionaly participate in spiff programs.

12 27.91%
  • We rarely participate in spiff programs

13 30.23%
  • I will not be involved with any manufacturer spiff incentives

11 25.58%

Thread: Manufacturer Spiffs Questionairre

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Manufacturer Spiffs Questionairre

TV's, Restaurant Gift Certificates, Gas Cards, etc. etc. are just a few of the spiffs from many of the optical industry manufacturers.

As an employee, it seems like a nice extra reward in addition to your paycheck. As an owner, it may involve extra time and labor expense as additional attention is given to a manufacturers spiff program. Economically, manufacturers offering spiffs often have higher cost involved with purchasing their products. Professionally, it may mean promoting a product which is not the most appropriate for a patients specific optical needs.

Personally I have found spiff programs to work best with in store promotions to develop a win-win situation.

Kevin
    Last edited by PAkev; 07-31-2002 at 01:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Kevin, the only "spiff" programs that I participate in are with Essilor on Crizal and Varilux; mainly, because Varilux has been our primary dispensed lens for about 20 years,
    Last edited by Texas Ranger; 08-01-2002 at 09:16 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All spiffs belong to our practice where we use them for entire office team events. I abandoned manufacturers spiffs directly to the dispenser. One brand was used heavily and the dispenser received $5.00 for every pair sold. Need less to say people were placed in progressives that really didn't suit their needs. With this change this brand lens sales declined heavily.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't really pay attention to manufacturers' SPIFF programs with one exception. One of the manufacturers has a McDonald's type game going on where you either collect game pieces to spell words listed on a game board for bonus prizes or save the pieces to be turned in for prizes in a catalogue. We don't sell certain products to get the game pieces, I couldn't even tell you what lenses you had to sell, but when the game pieces do come in we keep them.

We aren't a SPIFF oriented store; we don't even have in-house commissions. The Doc averaged out what most commission based area opticals paid folks in commissions and just added that average to what he felt was a fair salary. It's nice to having to be surprised by lower pay checks during slow periods.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Spiffs are senseless to me.

I can decide better than any manufacturer what is a worthwhile incentive to myself or my staff. Their spiff catalogs of limited goods and services are not worth half of what they say.

Manufacturers should just drop their prices to increase the value of thier products.

Staff should not feel as if they are under the gun to hammer patients with upgrades in order to earn a living. That's used car salesmanship.

Bad address email on file APV Optical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

ANTI SPIFF!

I do not participate in spiffs by any means. All I have seen from the spiffs is relationships between Doctor and staff go down hill. Spiffs means the Dispenser is getting rich(so to speak) on the doctors expense(product purchased) or Doctor upsetting dispenser when he/she finds out about the spiffs and keeps it. If they are to be used a team program is the only way to do it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am anti-spiff also. As I am in an MD/OD practice I want to add that spiffs are not limited to optical goods only. Pharmacutical and equipment manufacturers are also known for some of these perks. Again we use these for staff events. We often have breakfast, lunch and occasionally dinner or happy hour provided instead of the spiff.

All of our staff including LASIK coordinator receives a salary. We also receive bonuses based on overall practice performance.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anti Spiff

As a small independent owner, I will drop a mfg product if they or their rep offers a spiff or free products to my employees without my consent. I've had reps actually sell or give free products to employees through their home address behind my back. This promotes dishonesty. I pay all the business expenses & reps & mfg's should respect that before offering ANYTHING to an office employee!!!
    Sorry, this one touched a sore nerve.
    Jim:angry:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I know this thread is waaay old...

But - we were just having this discussion at work lately. I think that the spiff situation runs a bit too close to payola. Any spiffs or free anything goes directly to the front/back office staff as a reward for constantly referring patients to the optical and every other thankless thing they do that makes the practice successful.

I prefer to run the optical on a profitability basis and even had the Dr. change his commission policy. When I was hired, I explained that as he grew the practice and the optical grows as well he may have problems if his dispensary staff is more motivated by commissions and not pt. care. It's amazing how a team will work together if their income is not commission-based but instead a profit-based bonus system.

Everybody looks out for the bottom line instead of looking out for themselves!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    Manufacturers should just drop their prices to increase the value of thier products.
    AMEN!

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    AMEN!
    From a lab perspective this is a dicey situation. I would love to say there is no need for spiffs, but they seem to be rather commonplace across the industry. It is ironic to read this thread when I opened a bunch of boxes from Essilor today detailing a spiff program on Transitions Varilux product. Now if I were to follow the consensis of posters in this thread I should go in tomorrow and throw all those game pieces away. What would I then say when a customer calls me and asks where their 'game pieces' are? If I tell them we are not participating in the program I could basically kiss their Varilux Transitions (plus who knows what other) business away... That would not be a good idea.

As far as 'free' product goes. We are rather liberal on complimentary lenses for staff, so long as they are trying something new. I would much rather make a pair of Varilux Physio 360s for someone, as to another pair of Comforts.

Adam

Adam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we participate for lenses and options we are already use, but it does not increase our tendency to use any given product.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Adam -

In that situation you can only comply, it's not as though you are the one offering the spiff. BUT - if your lab "bought" it's business through gifts, equipment or cash rather than offering a fair price for lenses then it would be considered payola on your part.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was chatting with an optician friend of mine today. He works for an MD. I asked him which PAL he was dispensing and he says "which ever one is going to give me a rebate"!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I kind of miss it when every lab gave every account a fifth of thier favorite at Christmas.
    I can remember when Hydron had so many spiffs, Television, and the like.
    I am going to J&J for the next three days at thier expense for courses on I don't know what, the latest miracle in contact lenses, I guess.
    But if we are going to get spiffs why not things that we can use like instruments we can't afford, frame warmers, bench tools, tracers and other things that would actually benfit the practice?

Chip

Occupation
    Here-here Chip! :cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    This thread is 4 years old.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MELVIN View Post
    Yes, and companies are still giving spiffs!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many companies such as Essilor and Zeiss will allow you to accumulate points towards equipment purchases.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    we participate for lenses and options we are already use, but it does not increase our tendency to use any given product.
    Ditto

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MELVIN View Post
    I believe I mentioned that....;)

Thread Information