Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutes has a piece

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    My wish had been for the opinion of the private practitioner.

The ECP chosen MUST be articulate...unlike the principals L put out to respond.
    Choose 'em wisely.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They could have had one who loves their Lux frames, and one who chooses not to carry them because they consider them competition. I think that we all would have loved an hour long segment, when in reality most people will just find it another interesting topic amongst many on 60 minutes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    running tonight on why eyeglasses are so expensive.
    You can watch the segment here ... http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...roller;housing

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm less interested in villifying Lux and more interested in villifying the idiot who wrote this. She implies that you must be stupid to buy your glasses anywhere but a big box store or online.
    Last edited by xrayspex; 10-08-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayspex View Post
    I'm less interested in villifying Lux and more interested in villifiying the idiot who wrote this. She implies that you must be stupid to buy your glasses anywhere but a big box store or online.
    +1

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

12 cans of tomato soup with your lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by xrayspex View Post
    I'm less interested in villifying Lux and more interested in villifying the idiot who wrote this. She implies that you must be stupid to buy your glasses anywhere but a big box store or online.
    I agree! And just to make her point look completely idiotic, one of my patients got a quote for her new glasses from Sams Club and my lenses were $30 cheaper than theirs. Thanks to a very supportive INDEPENDENT lab from whom I receive fantastic prices and great service. And lets not forget the doc who just moved her practice into my store. She was downsized from the big L because they wanted to own their own patient book. But the doctors they put in don't take any insurances so the patients are all flocking to us to follow their favorite(and very talented) doc. We'll just call that a blessing from God and maybe a hot poker in the eye of Lux from you-know-where. They are very good at shooting themselves in the foot. I can compete, I can manage my margins and I don't need to get in bed with Lux to do it!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I'd say that it was actually the beginning of the end of the entire optical industry...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    True, however times have changed and the same thing will not happen to Lux - if it were, already would have. Perhaps vertical integration through diversity while having a head office far away in Italy with main retail roots in the U.S.A. is part of a brilliant plan?

I'd say so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think any of could possibly be happy with an interview like this, since we have an inside POV. That being said, I had a customer come in today who owns a successful retail specialty business who saw 60 Minutes and thought the whole thing just showed that Lux was good at business, and bought a Ray Ban.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry...I'm not seeing the monopoly.

Here's dictionary.com's definition:

mo·nop·o·ly

   [muh-nop-uh-lee] Show IPA
    noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies. 1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.

2. an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.

3. the exclusive possession or control of something.

4. something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.

5. a company or group that has such control.

1. They do not have exclusive control of the frame industry. I own numerous shops and do very well not carrying a single piece of their product. Do they affect the industry? Sure, by their sheer size, but just because they're the biggest, doesn't mean they are the only. "Affect" and "control" are worlds apart.

2. No exclusive privilege to do business.

3. What do they have exclusive control of, besides their own holdings? They don't control my business, and the last I checked, Marchon, Clear Vision, LBI, Charmant, and a host of others are doing just fine.

4. See #3.

5. They have possession of many brands, retail, and wholesale outlets, but there are many alternative options for consumers.

Ironically, I think that many ECPs, ODs in particular, assume that they are the only game in town, and flock to them like a heroin addict to a dealer. Some of them simply can't live without Lux, but hate them in the next breath.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I flock. I admit.

The piece was total trash, per usual at "C the BS" News.

Johns is right here, too: they may dominate to a ridiculous degree, but they aren't a monopoly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Let's not forget what managed care does to optical expenses and prices. You receive less from the insurance companies, so you raise your prices to survive. In the end, your non-insurance patients are really paying your bills and subsidizing the managed care plans.

Its managed care that is causing price bloat. The real reason the chains are less is they simply take less insurance.

Occupation
    Wow, what a great segment. Luxottica's CEO was impressive and not only articulate and strong. The company has made smart moves since it's inception and continues to make great decisions and moves today. They dominate their competition with their strength as well they should. They also set pricing that everyone benefits from, so that's a plus as well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I flock. I admit.

The piece was total trash, per usual at "C the BS" News.

Johns is right here, too: they may dominate to a ridiculous degree, but they aren't a monopoly.
    Another (Italian) company acquiring brands at the "right price" to increase market domination.

Founded in 1949, McIntosh Laboratory is known for offering distinguished quality audio products, superior customer service and the ultimate experience in music and film. All McIntosh products are handcrafted at the Binghamton, NY factory with a passion for music and the McIntosh heritage. McIntosh continues to define the ultimate home entertainment experience for discriminating consumers around the world, with the iconic "McIntosh Blue" Watt Meters globally recognized as a symbol of quality audio. Since its inception, McIntosh has been powering some of the most important moments in music history and pop culture. From President Lyndon Johnson's inauguration speech, to Woodstock, to the infamous Grateful Dead "Wall of Sound," McIntosh has not only witnessed history, it has shaped it. With McIntosh, customers have the ability to create their own premium audio experience – and truly live their music. For more information please visit the website at www.McIntoshLabs.com.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The purpose of most companies is to grow profits through growing sales. So have they done this ? Would each of you not have wanted to do the same? They had a good plan and worked that plan with good service, good brands and good decisions. They invested and took intelligent risk.

What was the purpose in CBS bashing them? What is your point in bashing them?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    The purpose of most companies is to grow profits through growing sales. So have they done this ? Would each of you not have wanted to do the same? They had a good plan and worked that plan with good service, good brands and good decisions. They invested and took intelligent risk.

What was the purpose in CBS bashing them? What is your point in bashing them?
    I wouldn't say CBS attempted to bash them at all - they simply asked a few questions on Oakley and the high pricing to consumers.

Their business plan wasn't just good - it was brilliant. The only people complaining and bashing are the ones competing against them and losing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Another (Italian) company acquiring brands at the "right price" to increase market domination.

Founded in 1949, McIntosh Laboratory is known for offering distinguished quality audio products, superior customer service and the ultimate experience in music and film. All McIntosh products are handcrafted at the Binghamton, NY factory with a passion for music and the McIntosh heritage. McIntosh continues to define the ultimate home entertainment experience for discriminating consumers around the world, with the iconic "McIntosh Blue" Watt Meters globally recognized as a symbol of quality audio. Since its inception, McIntosh has been powering some of the most important moments in music history and pop culture. From President Lyndon Johnson's inauguration speech, to Woodstock, to the infamous Grateful Dead "Wall of Sound," McIntosh has not only witnessed history, it has shaped it. With McIntosh, customers have the ability to create their own premium audio experience – and truly live their music. For more information please visit the website at www.McIntoshLabs.com.
    Good Point, Robert. Got me thinking how the Lux acquistions are any different than say GM's or Audi/VW or LV accessories.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didnt hear anything in that story addressing the expense of the new equiptment that keeps coming out to process eyewear. We all know that expense gets passed on to the consumer at some time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Intreasting letter just came in to the office from Luxottica.

Starting mid October and going forward they are shifting their product 12 digit UPC numbers to 13 digits.

That tells me that the Luxottica animal is HUGE! Shoot even big box stores still use only 12 digits. Not in just their optical but on every product in the store.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Proud to be ABLE (anything but Essilor Luxottica)
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Intreasting letter just came in to the office from Luxottica.

Starting mid October and going forward they are shifting their product 12 digit UPC numbers to 13 digits.

That tells me that the Luxottica animal is HUGE! Shoot even big box stores still use only 12 digits. Not in just their optical but on every product in the store.
    The 13 digit EAN/UCC-13 UPC number has been in general use for years. You can look up any UPC here:

http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I finally had a chance to watch the video.
    They made it sound like Luxottica was the only piece to the puzzle when it is only 33% of the puzzle, if you choose a Luxottica frame.
    Rx(not made by Lux)
    Frame (maybe made by Lux)
    Lenses (not made by Lux)

The way CBS made it sound was that Luxottica did it all, even (correct me if I am wrong) said they manufactured lenses (a little deceptive).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm listening to a patient's take on the 60 minute piece, and it's very much skewed to a non-optical industry persons POV, but the bottom line that came from the piece was this:

"IT ONLY COSTS $30 TO MANUFACTURE THE GLASSES, AND THEY ARE CHARGING $300 FOR THEM".

Thank you 60 minutes. I'm wondering how many years it's gonna take to change the public's mind about that. And before anyone even thinks about shouting 'but we need to educate our patients!', I call BS, because when we start talking about why glasses cost X amount, they look at us like we are car sales men.
    Not everyone, but many roll their eyes and get that smirk that say's, "I'm going to Walmart to get my $38 pair that the commercial says I can get."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm listening to a patient's take on the 60 minute piece, and it's very much skewed to a non-optical industry persons POV, but the bottom line that came from the piece was this:

"IT ONLY COSTS $30 TO MANUFACTURE THE GLASSES, AND THEY ARE CHARGING $300 FOR THEM".

Thank you 60 minutes. I'm wondering how many years it's gonna take to change the public's mind about that. And before anyone even thinks about shouting 'but we need to educate our patients!', I call BS, because when we start talking about why glasses cost X amount, they look at us like we are car sales men.
    Not everyone, but many roll their eyes and get that smirk that say's, "I'm going to Walmart to get my $38 pair that the commercial says I can get."
    The only good thing about that is that Luxottica is still the bad guy we buy them from so they know we don't get a price break either.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're going to lose many of them anyway. How we treat them if or when issues arise has been discussed here many times. I'd be sure to mention words to the effect that you are getting what you pay for and our office values the professional services more than cheap costs.

Try this oldie but goodie- Like so many things you can have quality service and price--- choose 2!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You're going to lose many of them anyway. How we treat them if or when issues arise has been discussed here many times. I'd be sure to mention words to the effect that you are getting what you pay for and our office values the professional services more than cheap costs.

Try this oldie but goodie- Like so many things you can have quality service and price--- choose 2!
    Oh I know. My only point is that there are a lot of people who because of the internet, have become "experts" on many things due to the ease of investigating topics of their choice from the comfort of their own home. I have many patients who claim they want to buy glasses from me because it's easier for them to do one stop shopping, but then argue with me about every little aspect of their eyeglass purchase.

I too am a armchair researcher, but I would never go to a culinary institute and walk up to the head professor and say, "I've watched every episode of 'Good Eats', and now I can say without question that I know more than you."

Thread Information