Thread: Safety Goggles

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Safety Goggles

We have been working with some industrial accounts, and one company has a request for splash goggles. Specifically they want to have a "good looking" goggle, that can be Rxable without the use of an insert. Seems they have had issues due to the inserts fogging up, even if the shield portion of the goggle does not.

Any suggestions?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    We have been working with some industrial accounts, and one company has a request for splash goggles. Specifically they want to have a "good looking" goggle, that can be Rxable without the use of an insert. Seems they have had issues due to the inserts fogging up, even if the shield portion of the goggle does not.

Any suggestions?
    Unfortunately, good looking, no insert and no fogging all tend to be mutually exclusive.

Do they specifically need Z87, or would they be able to accept a sport goggle/wrap instead? I do a lot of X-Ray lens work going into both Hilco and Liberty sports goggles for cardiologists who use them in the operating room.

One thing that I was told when splash issues became important, is that many medical facilities use a two tier approach, with a spectacle (or goggle) on the inside and an over-the-face hood or splash shield. I know there are a lot of disposable (one-use) splash shields available, and this might be something that your customers might also want to look at.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Unfortunately, good looking, no insert and no fogging all tend to be mutually exclusive.

One thing that I was told when splash issues became important, is that many medical facilities use a two tier approach, with a spectacle (or goggle) on the inside and an over-the-face hood or splash shield. I know there are a lot of disposable (one-use) splash shields available, and this might be something that your customers might also want to look at.
    Absolutely correct Mike.

Back in the day, I was the preferred provider for the Mass Biotech Council and sold thousands of pairs of Rx eyewear to medical and biotech accounts in New England. When handling hazardous materials, either liquid or gaseous, a splash guard was to be worn over the safety eyewear or the work was to be done in a fume hood.

Safety always trumps the cosmetic and other issue that the customer may want.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You may want to checkout Florida-based Aerogas (Aerogas.com). They can do just about anything and have procective safety eyewear for welding, splashes, etc. Jim Knapp is the optician to ask for when/if you call.

Thread Information