Thread: Why are opticians one track minded ?????????????????????????????

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Why are opticians one track minded ?????????????????????????????

How hard are you fighting against the new evil empires new technologies and can you win the war ?

Eyelation’s roots began more than 15 years ago with a need to provide companies with professional eye care services specifically for eye safety glasses. Accuracy in prescription and fit of safety glasses was found to be critical in an employee’s performance.

VIRTUAL TRY-ON Using web-enabled software that is built into its onsite kiosks, Eyelation takes accurate measurements and allows individuals to virtually "try on" frames.

After logging into the system, an employee is asked to put on Eyelation's exclusive "fitting pad," a one-time use, clear adhesive strip that is placed on the forehead. A built-in camera then takes a picture of the employee. The Eyelation software uses the markings on the fitting pad to create exact measurements of the employee's face and displays the image on the screen.

The employee can then browse through frame options that can be placed on their image – allowing the individual to see how each frame will look on their actual face – virtually trying it on. The employee can then scan in their prescription and purchase the frames. Eyelation fulfills the order and the employee receive the eyeglasses at work in about two weeks.

Once an employee's photo is taken with the fitting pad, it is stored in the system and can be used for all future orders. Since Eyelation's software is web-based, it can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection and future orders can be made from the convenience of an employee's own home.

This revolutionary technology ensures exact measurements and the best fit possible for the frames.

See more -------------------> http://www.eyelation.com/index.html

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, after reading this and other posts, it would seem that you are fighting FOR the onliners.

You sing their praises and lend credibility where none is deserved.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Chris, after reading this and other posts, it would seem that you are fighting FOR the onliners.

He is an onliner, right?

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Johns, wrong again this time around ...................

I want to see that retailers understand what is coming and might already be here. You made somea similar posts when I insisted there was a recession going to hit, a few years before it did, you called me just about crazy, but it did happen and I was right all the way.

OptiBoard is not only for the fun of it as many believe, I believe it can also be a means of serious communication of actual happenings, be they good or the other way around.

Furthermore I have no ties to any on-line opticals but I would like to see a profession I learned to it fullest, and I loved all my life to face the facts.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait .... for clarity ... you do mean "clients" instead of "employees", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    How hard are you fighting against the new evil empires new technologies and can you win the war ?

Eyelation’s roots began more than 15 years ago with a need to provide companies with professional eye care services specifically for eye safety glasses. Accuracy in prescription and fit of safety glasses was found to be critical in an employee’s performance.

VIRTUAL TRY-ON Using web-enabled software that is built into its onsite kiosks, Eyelation takes accurate measurements and allows individuals to virtually "try on" frames.

After logging into the system, an employee is asked to put on Eyelation's exclusive "fitting pad," a one-time use, clear adhesive strip that is placed on the forehead. A built-in camera then takes a picture of the employee. The Eyelation software uses the markings on the fitting pad to create exact measurements of the employee's face and displays the image on the screen.

The employee can then browse through frame options that can be placed on their image – allowing the individual to see how each frame will look on their actual face – virtually trying it on. The employee can then scan in their prescription and purchase the frames. Eyelation fulfills the order and the employee receive the eyeglasses at work in about two weeks.

Once an employee's photo is taken with the fitting pad, it is stored in the system and can be used for all future orders. Since Eyelation's software is web-based, it can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection and future orders can be made from the convenience of an employee's own home.

This revolutionary technology ensures exact measurements and the best fit possible for the frames.

See more -------------------> http://www.eyelation.com/index.html

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

This isn't on-line technology - it goes way beyond that. Like it or not, it is the future. Now if independent practice owners could get their heads around to embracing technology, perhaps they could be a part of it rather than trying to fight it. Like it or lump it, inevibility has arrived folks.

Same goes for digital dispensing technology and its related systems, I'm using it and is great - improved automation equals improved accuracy, not the cutting of staff.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are no studies that show clearly that digital dispensing is superior.

Yet, it is being widely adopted and promoted.

But there is clear evidence that Rx wearers overwhelming prefer the superior vision and clarity of properly made FFSV. Yet, most practices approach this lens category like it is an unnecessary luxury.

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    There are no studies that show clearly that digital dispensing is superior.

Yet, it is being widely adopted and promoted.

But there is clear evidence that Rx wearers overwhelming prefer the superior vision and clarity of properly made FFSV. Yet, most practices approach this lens category like it is an unnecessary luxury.

B
    More accurate yes - superior who knows, time will tell. I'd say 90% of ECP's out there are still dispensing old PAL conventionals with binocular PD's watching reruns of the Flintstones.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd have to simply disagree on the idea that DCS are more accurate. More precise, yes. More accurate, errr...no.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dr Shaw has done studies on all the popular digital dispensing systems and found them to be far inferior to a simple pupilometer and good a Optician.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I'd have to simply disagree on the idea that DCS are more accurate. More precise, yes. More accurate, errr...no.

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Furthermore I have no ties to any on-line opticals but I would like to...
    , well from the horses mouth.

Occupation

Just had to correct your post to show the facts..........................

Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post

Furthermore I have no ties to any on-line opticals but I would like to................... see a profession I learned to it fullest, and I loved all my life to face the facts.

, well from the horses mouth.

PhiTrace.......................Just had to correct your post to show the facts with the original full sentence and not a distorted version as you love to do.................
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Dr Shaw has done studies on all the popular digital dispensing systems and found them to be far inferior to a simple pupilometer and good a Optician.

would you happen to have a link to these findings?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by morinput View Post
    would you happen to have a link to these findings?
    You won't find a link. These findings are based on one's research and self-suiting marketed interpretation. If his lenses were that good and proven for aniseikonia, they would be available through mutiple lens companies/labs - but this is not the case.

A great way to be sponsored by one large company and keep your price as high as possible.

An OD just doesn't have the same capabilities as a Japanese ophthalmic engineer does - if it were that good, it would have already been developed prior to FF technology.
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 10-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Thread Information