OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cancelling prism?

I have a pt, current Rx reads
    +5.50-0.25x026 2.00B Down 1.50 B Out
    +5.00-2.00x096 1.50 B In
    Add 2.00

The prism was read at the optical center not at the fitting height. Checked by 2 different opticians.
    The Doctor found the 2 diopters of base down in the right but she was all over the place for base in or base out.

She is one of those crazy patients thats really nice but you kind of look at funny....

Was it possibly a lab error? I cant image Base in or out prism wrong. Up and down yes but I haven't seen too many in and out prisms wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sv?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More info on lens type and exact method of measuring prism would help. Also, call the provider, or prescribing Dr on this Rx to see if they are made as written.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gator: Your horizontal prisms, if this is a multifocal, should stand out like a screw driver skewered thumb.....even at the fitting height! Sounds like the lab inadvertently forgot to put it in, or someone forgot to order it.

If this is only an SV lens........measure at the IPD, not the OC.

Swarf happens!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    i have a pt, current rx reads
    +5.50-0.25x026 2.00b down 1.50 b out
    +5.00-2.00x096 1.50 b in
    add 2.00

the prism was read at the optical center not at the fitting height. Checked by 2 different opticians.
    The doctor found the 2 diopters of base down in the right but she was all over the place for base in or base out.

She is one of those crazy patients thats really nice but you kind of look at funny....
    i post pretty fuzzy, occasionally, depending on the meds, but i hope the above sentence isn't about your doc, is it?
    was it possibly a lab error? I cant image base in or out prism wrong. Up and down yes but i haven't seen too many in and out prisms wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    lol
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its a progressive lens. She has had the glasses for 9 years and the original ODs office is now closed. Method of reading is finding the makings on the lens. Read used a marco 101 at both the fitting height and the optical center (where the prism was found).

The question is would that lab do this to thin the lens with horizontal prism or could it have been an accident?

I am reading the additional canceling prism at 1.5 B Out on the right, and 1.5 B in on the left.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its a progressive lens. She has had the glasses for 9 years and the original ODs office is now closed. Method of reading is finding the makings on the lens. Read used a marco 101 at both the fitting height and the optical center (where the prism was found).

The question is would that lab do this to thin the lens with horizontal prism or could it have been an accident?

I am reading the additional canceling prism at 1.5 B Out on the right, and 1.5 B in on the left.
    Measure the distance Rx at the Distance Reference Point (above the Distance Visual Point or fitting height). Use the manufacturer's mask/template and an auxiliary prism as needed to center the mires. Measure the prism (prescribed, thinning, or unwanted) at the Prism Reference Point, usually midpoint between the reference marks.

If your intent is to duplicate the lenses, then you should duplicate as is. However, I would recommend/insist that the client see an eye doctor before proceeding.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

It could easily have been accidental. Some progressives rock in the blocking ring very badly; it's easy to get unwanted prism (in, out, or down; usually not up) if you're not very careful - even if you are very careful.

If I were going to make glasses - and I agree with Robert,with a 9-year-old Rx, an exam is certainly called for, so I don't know that I would - I would leave out the lateral prism.

It's certainly not thinning prism.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We did a new exam and found the base down prism to be legit. However when trying to find base in or out prism, she was all over the place. The new Rx was written with only base down prism but we don't want her to "list when walking"...:)

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We did a new exam and found the base down prism to be legit. However when trying to find base in or out prism, she was all over the place. The new Rx was written with only base down prism but we don't want her to "list when walking"...:)
    Tighten her left shoe if necessary.

Thread Information