Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cut my first lens today!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    A very rare and expensive commodity. Not available on line.
    I'm sure some online retailer is working on getting a supply to discount online.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Question: Did you tell us first, or did you call someone on the phone? (I'm trying to see just how special we are to you!)
    Well, I told my wife first because I call her every night on the way home from work (I can't wait to get home to talk to her about my day) But you folks were second!

We are actually (all kidding aside) very proud of you, opticianbart! Now.....don't forget your six month anniversary coming up!
    I know!!!!! I'm trying to decide if/what I should do something special. I was thinking of doing a fancy meal, but I cook all the time and I'm pretty handy in the kitchen if I do say so myself. I could get her flowers (and probably will, even though I don't get the whole flowers thing "These flowers are a symbol of my unending love, they'll be dead in a week.") I dunno, I'll think of something. :)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Well, I told my wife first because I call her every night on the way home from work (I can't wait to get home to talk to her about my day) But you folks were second!

I know!!!!! I'm trying to decide if/what I should do something special. I was thinking of doing a fancy meal, but I cook all the time and I'm pretty handy in the kitchen if I do say so myself. I could get her flowers (and probably will, even though I don't get the whole flowers thing "These flowers are a symbol of my unending love, they'll be dead in a week.") I dunno, I'll think of something. :)
    When you are agonizing over what to do, remember that the decision you make may be a very long term one. I started a habit of a single rose on the 1st anniversary, 2 for the second, etc....................................The florist's face lights up, when they see me coming in. This also co-incides with Valentine's Day!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you are agonizing over what to do, remember that the decision you make may be a very long term one. I started a habit of a single rose on the 1st anniversary, 2 for the second, etc....................................The florist's face lights up, when they see me coming in. This also co-incides with Valentine's Day!
    I understand! My wife and I became engaged on Valentine's Day, so for the last 21 years and the rest of my life, I have 2 anniversaries to make the special arrangements for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee I think I need somebody to talk to my husband! I get those 'useful, around the house' gifts. One year it was a Kitchen Aid Mixer, another year a VitaMix. Shoot, we were even just shopping together and I walked up on him in the card store saying, "Are you buying that for me?" He said, "Yes, now go ahead and read it and I can save $4.49!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolOptician View Post
    "Yes, now go ahead and read it and I can save $4.49!"
    Wheres the "Like" button?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee I think I need somebody to talk to my husband! I get those 'useful, around the house' gifts. One year it was a Kitchen Aid Mixer, another year a VitaMix. Shoot, we were even just shopping together and I walked up on him in the card store saying, "Are you buying that for me?" He said, "Yes, now go ahead and read it and I can save $4.49!"
    Excellent idea. However my wife considers items that plug in "not a gift - it's an appliance"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My parents insist that we NEVER buy them gifts (I have MANY siblings), so to respect their wishes, I go to the library, and check out a book I think they might like. I wrap it up, and then tell them they've got 7 days to read it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deblockimus!!! haha ...love it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband and I don't even buy gifts for each other any more.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not buying gifts because it's a holiday is fine. Not buying gifts "just because I love you and you should have this" is kind of sad.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eh, we're to the place in our marriage that, if we want something, we save up our own money and buy it. He does surprise me with my favorite vodka or sour patch kids when he goes to the store. I guess that counts.

Who says romance isn't dead? Besides, he does the laundry and makes sure the kids have showered before I get home from work. Gift enough for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have CONvinced my dear Bride that being married to ME is gift enough!

She is such a lucky lady!

Back on topic:

Have you gotten back in the lab again Bart?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hahahaha!!!! That is just spectacular!
    Jonathan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    My parents insist that we NEVER buy them gifts (I have MANY siblings), so to respect their wishes, I go to the library, and check out a book I think they might like. I wrap it up, and then tell them they've got 7 days to read it.
    What an excelkent idea!! May have to share this! :-))
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have CONvinced my dear Bride that being married to ME is gift enough!

She is such a lucky lady!

Back on topic:

Have you gotten back in the lab again Bart?
    Not really, I don't really have time to spend in the lab as we are understaffed at the moment. In fact the only reason they had me in the lab at all was because our lab guy just had a kew baby and needed some time off. The lab work is interesting, but to be honest I prefer dealing with people - I like people, and I enjoy explaining why this lens or that would give them the best vision. Honestly my preference in lab work is to learn enough to recognise good (and bad) work when I see it and to have a rough idea what was done wrong when it is bad work.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Thread Information