Thread: Anti-fatigue lenses for computer use

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Anti-fatigue lenses for computer use

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about these products? I'll all for prescribing products that work, do these work?

Nikon SeeCoat Blue lens. The claim is that LED screens have a spike in emmittance of blue light and that their lens that reduces blue light will reduce fatigue. (I assume it's a light yellow tint)

KODAK Lenses with Anti-Fatigue Progressive Technology. The claim is that PAL lens designs induce some base out prism in the reading area and that this lens has base in prism added to compensate, (I think I remember about 1 1/2 prism diopters per lens).

Here are some links to their products; http://www.signetarmorlite.com/kodak-lens/anti-fatigue/ http://nikon-lenswear.com/products/t...s/seecoat-blue

Occupation
    Optometrist
    My issue is that the add has to be delivered in the proper area of the lens, which is not the bottom.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    My issue is that the add has to be delivered in the proper area of the lens, which is not the bottom.
    Yes, the Kodak is just their progressives with whatever "Anti-Fatigue" technology is. Don't all progressives have convergent near vision zones to accomodate near Pd already? As drk says, this doesn't change the fact that the near power is still below pupil level and still requires the typical backward head tilt to access computer vision.

Nikon's Seecoat Blue is an AR. Not sure how much effect blue light filtering *alone* will accomplish, but could be handy to combine with a computer lens solution as well. Can't hurt.

The most effective solution for anti-fatigue on computers is Zeiss/Gunnar's. They are basically +0.6 diopter lenses for computer use, with the yellow tint for blue light control. I think that's a perfect solution. I still accomodate perfectly (not for much longer though...) but make my own SV "lab glasses" at about +1.00 over my disctance Rx. Distance is of course blurry, but everything out to 6 feet (computer, edger, repair bench, ipad/iphone, even all my job trays) is easier to focus on. Makes sense, even for young eyes it doesn't hurt to supplement natural accomodation for long periods of near work.

I use Essilor's Anti-Fatigue lens for SV computer eyewear: calculate a nice intermediate SV Rx, and then when they need it they also have an additional +0.6 in the lower lens for nearer work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Initially, the "anti-fatigue" concept was marketed as a "bump" for near vision, not for computer use. Essilor brought out its computer lens at roughly the same time as the anti-fatigue design.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Does anyone remember the 'Comfort 41' tint back in the 1990's? I actually made a pair of plano sunglasses from it, and it basically made all colours seem more vivid. It was an orange-based brown tint and I found it incredibly easy on the eye, and on PC screens I found I needed far less concentration thus reducing stress and eyestrain. This was when I was at Cambridge Optical now part of Shamir.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know about this Nikon product, nor, to be honest, am I as well versed on a lot of the products we did not use. I can just tell you my own personal experience.

I've been wearing (as my 'day' pair, after I got to work, or now that I work from home, next to my computer and keep it on all day, no matter what I'm doing) either a Shamir Office Progressive or the HoyaTact (mid-range focus) for over four years. The first day I put it on, I noticed the 'blurred areas' but just told myself not to be 'one of those customers' and get over it. Ignore it. So I did. I just focused on the tasks at hand. By the end of the day, I was so comfortable that I walked out to my car with them on, and as I got behind the wheel, wondered why everything was blurry. I ended up selling lots of them, as I realized they weren't just great 'office/computer' progressives. They were great 'anything around the house' where we do primarily intermediate work glasses! I call them "Office, Computer, Crafting, Sewing, Cooking, Ironing Glasses." Yes, I still iron.

When we closed our office and retired, I was doing more intensive work at the computer without breaks, and I noticed that my vision was getting blurry at times. Often at the end of the day. Lol, it is true what they say about 'brain cells' when you retire, so it took me a bit to 'pay attention' to what I was experiencing. I had the 'anti-fatigue/computer' tint from BPI put in a few pair (light orangish/yellow) and I have not had that problem since. I was actually surprised at their effectiveness, but I gave a pair of plano's with the tint to my 30 year old son, as I knew he was also doing some computer intensive work at the moment, and he said he loved them too. One measly, slightly professional experience.
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been wearing my new Nikon digital progressives with the SeeCoat Blue and they are absolutely fabulous. The AR and it's blue blocking poperties are a huge plus while working in such bright conditions, the contrast of my computer screen while wearing is a big difference from my other AR. It is not a yellow tint but an AR. I highly recommend this product and have been offering it to all my patients and computer lens wearers. I like this better than the Gunnar lenses because the lenses are not yellow. The other nice thing about this product is its price point. Highly recommend! :)

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Right- not for desktop monitors or charts (music). Mostly a solution looking for a problem.

AO made a PAL with a +.50 add about 25 years ago (Prima?). I hoped I would experience some of the aberrations that my clients were seeing and feeling, and to get a head start on adaptation (a real life add was about two years away). Very single vision-like, and helped not one bit with adaptation when I needed a +1.25 Add (VIP Gold).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I call complete marketing BS on the blue light claim. It simply isn't difficult in any way to adjust the color temperature of any modern LCD monitor (indeed nor was it difficult on CRTs either.) It's a few button pushes, or mouse clicks. That's it. If you want your screen to take on a sickly yellow color cast, or if you need to boost or lower anything like brightness, contrast, or gamma, it's a very easy and quick task. You want less blue in the color space? Make it so. Absolutely zero need for 'magic tints'. This has all been covered here before, though perhaps a couple years is enough to forget about it. At least, that seems to be what the marketing departments are banking on. Go Gunnar!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like relax in these cases

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My new favorite anti-fatigue lenses are the Hoya Sync 5 & 8 lenses. I just received my Sync 5, which is a small bump of +0.53 add spread out the entire width of the lens at the bottom. I don't feel the restriction like that of the Shamir Relax with peripheral blur. I can keep my lenses on all day without eye strain, when previously I had to remove them when using a computer or reading. I absolutely love them! WOW!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I also love my sync 5 have yet to take them off and I'm on my pc all day

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i'm wearing the essilor anti-fatigue and i LOVE it. theres a tiny bit of peripheral swim, but i have a high cyl so i was expecting that i am in front of a computer ALL day, and my second job is bartending which also involves a lot of harsh light and computer work. my eyes were getting so dry at the end of the day that they HURT plus they were very tired, and after getting these (and getting used to them) they seem to be working really well. plus the glasses have metal studs on them making them extra fantastic.

our essilor rep was in talking about the blue blocking stuff that they're coming out with eventually ... another gimmick?? we'll see
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Novice Deshbhakt Yadav's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Dear penny,

Never tried Kodak but have you tried Zebriana Advanced Glasses? They are lab tested and meant for computer viewing purpose only.
    Check this one out - Computer Glasses Online
    Last edited by Deshbhakt Yadav; 09-10-2016 at 03:18 AM. Reason: URL change

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikon Relaxsee is a good anti-fatigue lens we sell a ton of. Has a small reading add bump of about 0.87

As for the blue light coating from Nikon, I only recommend when I'm selling a computer progressive like the Nikon Online wide or Home and office. It helps to show a sample of these lenses because they do have a slight hue to them and will be noticable on a pair of "everyday" glasses.

Thread Information