Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Though provoking fiction before the election...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    It's been my experience here that when people start asking endless leading questions, they're not looking for answers, they're looking for attacking points.
    That pretty much sums it up. Too many mean-spirited, ill-informed people. God forbid you express an opinion or fact that does not adhere to their no so hidden agenda.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I apologize. I had no idea that asking for actual facts was an attack. In our family, you're free to express any opinion you care to hold, you just need to be prepared to back it up. "Because I said so" never held much weight around here. I will walk away from this over-heated discourse now.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Sorry, just got back from visiting with my Mom in the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) down the street and I find this. It virtually impossible to be admitted to such a facility without ID. Period. Just became involved in the process on Friday. Fact. I am working on the process to get her an absentee ballot, since she has not missed voting in any election, local, state and national since she has been eligible. She's 85. Fact. She is very well versed in the current political gamesmanship and will cast her vote according to her beliefs. Fact.

Once upon a time, we were required to take Civics in school. It disappeared and the general public became fair game for any pundit willing to sit in a chair and pontificate. We have met the enemy and he is us.

The terms "dimocrat" and "Repugnant" are NOT helpful.
    Judy -- a couple of questions:

1) what about the seniors who were admitted to the facility BEFORE the ID rules went into effect?
    2) when their current ID (usually a drivers license) expires, does the facility require them to get a replacement ID?

Those two questions go to the heart of the issue. There are MANY seniors who are in these facilities who never had a picture ID, and those that do, many times, since they are now in long-term care, are no longer driving and allow their drivers license to expire (if they had on in the first place).

You bring up a good point, but just because ID's are required for entry now, does not necessarily mean that all seniors in these facilities have them after admittance.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I apologize. I had no idea that asking for actual facts was an attack. In our family, you're free to express any opinion you care to hold, you just need to be prepared to back it up. "Because I said so" never held much weight around here. I will walk away from this over-heated discourse now.
    You could've done the research yourself if you only wanted answers.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You could've done the research yourself if you only wanted answers.
    You know, Wes, you've gone after Robert, myself, and now Judy for questioning you, and wanting to know what you think and how you came to your position...and each time its always been in some sort of attack mode. You've accused us of many things when all we want to know is where you are coming from. If you can't answer the question, move on and find another thread to vent your spleen on. You aren't debating, you are attacking, and IMO because we believe differently than you do.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It's one thing to have a debate and spirited discussion, it's quite another to have a bully in the mix.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't it true that while as a percentage of income, a Billionaire may pay less than a doctor, as a total it tends to be a few orders of magnitude larger?
    Maybe
    The chart below from the Tax Policy Center shows the distribution of federal income taxes paid by income level in 2011.
    It contains a number of interesting factoids, including the following:

• 7,000 people made more than $1 million but paid no income tax.
    • 22,000 people made between $500,000 and $1 million but paid no income tax.
    • 81,000 people made between $200,000 and $500,000 but paid no income tax.
    • 381,000 people made between $100,000 and $200,000 but paid no income tax.

...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    You know, Wes, you've gone after Robert, myself, and now Judy for questioning you, and wanting to know what you think and how you came to your position...and each time its always been in some sort of attack mode. You've accused us of many things when all we want to know is where you are coming from. If you can't answer the question, move on and find another thread to vent your spleen on. You aren't debating, you are attacking, and IMO because we believe differently than you do.
    That's funny, because it seemed to me that's what all of you were doing to me. Only someone with their head up their fourth point of contact looks at a three on one gang up and calls the one a bully.

It's one thing to have a debate and spirited discussion, it's quite another to have a bully in the mix.
    I'm not the one who got banned for a year for acting like a disruptive bully, posting disinformation, and stating my opinions as facts.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    So, now we have our heads up our asses? That's bully talk, my friend, and most likely has caused this thread to be locked down.

But, what the heck. If you can't properly answer a question without obfuscation or acting like a bully, do the next best thing and shut it down.

Good Job!!

Occupation
    Mike you're the one calling the names here, and unless you have multiple personalities, I don't know where you're getting the "we" from.

Occupation
    So, now we have our heads up our asses? That's bully talk, my friend, and most likely has caused this thread to be locked down.

But, what the heck. If you can't properly answer a question without obfuscation or acting like a bully, do the next best thing and shut it down.

Good Job!!
    Oh you act so wounded in public while sending me profanity laced pms in private. You're the definition of disingenuous. I think you're right. It's time to close the thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    seems like this thread is becoming an unproductive discussion. shut down?
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Drop out of this, Wes. Be the bigger man and just end it. It's like debating with a mean spirited, vengeful brick wall. Just stop.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Let's start with Head Start. It doesn't provide lasting benefits. From that bastion of conservatism, Time magazine. Democrats are supposed to be the party of choice. Let's give parents school choice. That'll never happen with the Dems being the party of teachers unions.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...081778,00.html

How about Obamacare. Premiums were going to go down, remember?

http://www.nationalreview.com/campai...re-unthinkable

And ten year costs were supposed to be less than a trillion dollars, right?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...de_648413.html

If you like your current insurance, you can keep it. Who could have predicted this?

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/07/05/...r-health-plan/

Julia enrolled in Head Start at age 3. When she retires at 67 in 43 years, we are apparently still under Obama's plan for Social Security. He appointed the Simpson Bowles commission to come up with a plan to shore up SS and Medicare and promptly ignored 100% of their recommendations. Do you really believe Social Security as we know it will exist in 2055?
    Gary, thanks for responding, at least in part, to my request.

Before deciding that Head Start should be abandoned, you may want to read a little more - just Google "Head Start efficacy". I do favor periodic re-evaluations of any and all government programs. An article by Joe Klein doesn't really constitute re-evaluation, as you can see from numerous scholarly examinations of the topic.

I don't have time to discuss Obamacare right now. It is rightly subject to a raft of criticisms. If you're going to read articles from the Weekly Standard and the Heritage Foundation (strangely, the latter is the true "grandfather" of the program), you may want to see what the other side has to say, too (Kaiser Family Foundation is a good non-partisan resource, and there are no shortage of partisan ones - try anything in The Nation). I would have preferred it if you had considered each of the features in the "Julia" slides, and expressed an opinion on those, since you brought it up.

My question was about the dependency you associated with Julia - its efficacy aside, do you think that attending kindergarten produces dependecy? Being able to stay on one's parents until age 26 - dependency? Required coverage of conditions related to women's health - dependency? I believe those were some of the things actually presented in the slides.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, now we have our heads...
    The "we" are the usual suspects.

When having a cordial discussion, it is always helpful to know the person with whom you are talking. In the case of forums, you have many people sitting on the sidelines, reading, waiting for an opportunity to pounce. Of course, they are of the same ilk, and find safety in numbers.

The smartest folks on this board do not participate in discussions of this nature, as the "usual suspects" will always show up to ambush. A co-worker pointed this out to me a few years ago, and she was right.

(obviously, I'm not one of the "smart ones", as I still show up from time to time!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe our country is better off with a smaller disparity between rich and poor, with a larger, wealtier middle class. The fact is that the poor are still just as poor as they were in the 1980, and average middle class buying power is lower than it was in 1980.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As I suspected, it is impossible to have a civilized and respectful political discussion these days. Sign of the times. Nonetheless I did give you guys a chance. Thread closed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information