Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help taking a.b.o in nov!! Freaking out

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Please help taking a.b.o in nov!! Freaking out

Any info will help im taking my abo in nov, and looking for practice tests and any sort of questions i can answer to see where my knowledge actually is, whats scaring me more is that ive been in this field for not that long but ive been reading and studying everything i come across. so if someone can link me to a site where i can take practice test or if someone can email me some questions thank you

Dimulater1@aol.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dimitry6- Don't freak out! I am taking the ABO this November, too. Try to look around your area, many Opticians form study groups together. Also, I HIGHLY recommend you purchase a good study kit. This will cost you about $250.00, but it goes over EVERYTHING that may be covered on the Exam. I bought mine from OTI/Optical Training Institute- they send you a nice kit with CD's and study guides to review. =) hope this helps!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here is a link that I used when I took the test 2 years ago http://www.laramyk.com/resources/ope...o-study-guide/ good luck on your test you can do it I passed and I only had 11 mo when I took it . The people on here are very helpful to .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you unsure of?

What questions do you have?

We are here to help!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First thing to work on, if you don't know it already, is the lens cross. Learn that immediately. Sorry if this is too basic, beneath your level, but you said you were new to optics.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    First thing to work on, if you don't know it already, is the lens cross. Learn that immediately. Sorry if this is too basic, beneath your level, but you said you were new to optics.
    Finding the cylinder power in an oblique meridian was the worst of the test for me. The Laramy K resources are very good.

Occupation
    Thank you guys for all helpful answers , now trying to find which study kit would be best i searched for them online and A LOT are out there anyone have exp with one that was really helpful?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i used the laramy k study guide, and they also have practice tests on their website!! I also had two cert opticians to use as resources at work so they told me what i needed to research more ... i'm currently tackling the abo advanced tutorial right now *dies* i feel your pain!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    i cant seem to figure that website out they keep taking me to 3rd party websites that look fishy and asking me to fill out some forms

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    make sure you know the height of the drop ball tester.just sayin'

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And ANSI standards are on there too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes is a rockstar at helping people pursue education in our field. Since you posted your email address (kinda sketchy, just an FYI), I will go ahead and forward the study material he sent me to you.

Just focus on your studying, try to memorize your formulas, and stay calm. Ask questions here if you need to and don't let the crackpots and trolls deter you- every internet forum has a couple lurking around.

Good luck!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used Mike DeSanto's Review when I took the exam. Covered everything and I passed with flying colors! Also cost under $60.00 if I remember right.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I remember there were a lot of questions on dispensing (tilts, adjustments, and troubleshooting), front and backside curve calculations, prism calculations, lens index, questions related to eye diseases, and optical formulas. That's all i remember now :)

I passed on my first exam and didn't even study. So, there is nothing to worry unless you really don't know much. By the time I took the exam I was already in the business for over 10 years though so that helped for sure.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The study guide from Laramy-k is pretty good. Check out Michael DeSanto's TOPS book I've heard it's a great resource and many I know that passed the ABO used just his materials. Then the absolute must have, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, you can use the second but the third is in color and much nicer. The first part of the book will have you more than prepared for the test, the second part of the book will have you prepared for the Advanced test.

I just recently was contacted by a student I helped a few weeks back from the UK on her tests and she pleasently informed me that she passed her math section with a bit of my help, then she went on to say that she passed on the info to a friend and they enjoyed the content as much as well. It was great to hear a fresh mind learning and many here enjoy helping the budding come along.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-20-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Then the absolute must have, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, you can use the second but the third is in color and much nicer. The first part of the book will have you more than prepared for the test, the second part of the book will have you prepared for the Advanced test.
    I agree 100%

This book is a must have. Each chapter has test questions. If you do not have a copy, please PM me, I'll send you a copy!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Name the extraocular muscles and layers of the cornea.

Do not ignore the cylinder (if present) when compensating for vertex distance.

When the diameter of the lens is increased, the_________will also increase.
    a. center thickness
    b. weight

A polarized lens fitted properly:
    a. allows horizontal light to pass through
    b. allows vertical light to pass through
    c. does not allow vertical light to pass through
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Basic Opticians Tutorial from the National Academy of Opticianry was written using the job analysis for the NOCE Exam.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    The study guide from Laramy-k is pretty good. Check out Michael DeSanto's TOPS book I've heard it's a great resource and many I know that passed the ABO used just his materials. Then the absolute must have, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, you can use the second but the third is in color and much nicer. The first part of the book will have you more than prepared for the test, the second part of the book will have you prepared for the Advanced test.

I just recently was contacted by a student I helped a few weeks back from the UK on her tests and she pleasently informed me that she passed her math section with a bit of my help, then she went on to say that she passed on the info to a friend and they enjoyed the content as much as well. It was great to hear a fresh mind learning and many here enjoy helping the budding come along.
    I totally agree about System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. I keep my copy at work as it's a great resource.

the best advice I can give is more for the test day. Go through the test and only answer the questions you're positive you know. Keep track of the number (hash marks) on the scrap paper they give you. Now, take another pass, this time answering the questions that you're fairly certain you know. Hash mark those. Once you get to 70 hash marks, breathe. The rest is icing on the cake. (I didn't breathe until 80, I wanted a buffer zone. lol) Now, when you go back a third time and attack those hard questions, you won't be freaking out and you can take some time to think
    Do not postpone joy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you still freaking out?

Is there anything that we can help with now?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm taking the exam in November as well and had a question about prism notation. I've been accustomed to writing it as 1^ BU ( or whatever the base direction is) but on a practice test I just took, it asked for another way to describe it in this form: 1 @ 000. Can someone please explain when this type of notation is used (i.e. is @180 used for BI, BO and @90 used for BU, BD)? I hadn't seen it written this way before and got a bit confused. Thanks!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NUECoptical View Post
    I'm taking the exam in November as well and had a question about prism notation. I've been accustomed to writing it as 1^ BU ( or whatever the base direction is) but on a practice test I just took, it asked for another way to describe it in this form: 1 @ 000. Can someone please explain when this type of notation is used (i.e. is @180 used for BI, BO and @90 used for BU, BD)? I hadn't seen it written this way before and got a bit confused. Thanks!
    It's 180, or 360 notation.

http://www.optometry.co.uk/uploads/a...sh20011102.pdf
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Thanks!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know Opti-Stock is offering a new DVD to prep for the ABO, $80.00. You can contact them at 313-388-8685

Thread Information