Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QSpex

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

QSpex

Any one stops by the booth of QSpex at the Vision Expo West? I talked with their staff, telling me their molds cover 86% of the RX. And the cost of one pair of lenses is (wholesale pricing removed) in average.

Discussion!
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-09-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Wholesale prices removed

Occupation
    About 12x what I pay for SV finished. I don't know about their progressives, are they a Natural like other in-house casting units?? Their Rx range will only cover about 20 - 25% of what I use. You're much better off getting a used surfacing set-up and doing it the right way, will end up saving time and money.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Any one stops by the booth of QSpex at the Vision Expo West? I talked with their staff, telling me their molds cover 86% of the RX. And the cost of one pair of lenses is (wholesale prices removed)

Discussion!
    I don't think we should post the wholesale blank cost, the average consumer won't understand all of the equipment, expertise, and time needed to produce a final result. Just my thoughts......
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-09-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Wholesale pricing removed

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was told the progressive designs the system uses are the Genesis and Piccolo.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep in in mind that our posting guidelines do not allow wholesale pricing discussions.

Optiboard is a public discussion forum. We are composed of eyecare professionals and the consuming public. In this regard, it is inappropriate to publish wholesale prices, or other propriatary information which might compromise the relationship between professionals and consumers. If you have questions of this nature, or information to provide, please use the Private Message system to ask the question or to diseminate the information. Posts containing pricing information deemed inappropriate, will be removed.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any one stops by the booth of QSpex at the Vision Expo West? I talked with their staff, telling me their molds cover 86% of the RX. And the cost of one pair of lenses is (wholesale pricing removed) in average.

Discussion!
    I stopped by briefly, but our conversation stopped when they told me the parameters (D) haven't increased, and they see no need to make changes.

I must say however, there were a lot of people milling around the booth, so I must have been in the minority.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I must say however, there were a lot of people milling around the booth, so I must have been in the minority.
    Milling around does not mean they are purchasing, especially at VEW.

BTW: I saw a similar unit on EBay last month for $4500 and no one bid.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    There are similar casting units for sale every few years, the idea keeps coming back, but the companies always change. QSpex has a nice booth, but I couldn't find any compelling reason they won't go the course of the predecessors.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Discussion!
    Thanks for the interest. VEW was an extremely successful show for us. The in office lens fabrication system has been inaccurately described on this forum. From our progressive designs, cost, parameters, similar systems, but the fact is no other system is like the QSpex system in what it offers and is capable of doing. To get the accurate facts please find more information at Qspex.com.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QSpex1 View Post
    From our progressive designs, cost, parameters, similar systems, but the fact is no other system is like the QSpex system in what it offers and is capable of doing. To get the accurate facts please find more information at Qspex.com.
    Then someone at the booth gave me bad information. I was told that the parameters haven't changed since I last talked with the company (back in March of 2012.)

Have they indeed changed/increased?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was just told by the rep that the cyl parameters are being expanded next year. We have been watching this product since SECO 2012 in Feb. and will probably add it in the office beginning of next year. The company does allow you to try it for 2 months, in your office, before deciding. The pricing on polarized is very nice, as well as the AR durability on samples - so far....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy02ic View Post
    I was just told by the rep that the cyl parameters are being expanded next year. We have been watching this product since SECO 2012 in Feb. and will probably add it in the office beginning of next year. The company does allow you to try it for 2 months, in your office, before deciding. The pricing on polarized is very nice, as well as the AR durability on samples - so far....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Our new QSpex system was installed a last week. I have to say, it IS nice not waiting a week for a progressive or polarized lens. Using the molds is pretty easy - the biggest thing is not getting bubbles in the mold when you are filling with polymer (I have done this a couple of times; I just call and they send me a new mold at no cost to replace the one I screwed up). We have been doing the polarized and clear 1.55 AQuity lenses with QuasAR (their AR). Time will tell on the coating durability; I will keep you updated. We stock SV lenses, so this will mostly be used for PAL (there is a short15-16mm and regular 19mm seg) and the polarized. Our rep, Ron, stated that the photo chromatic LTD will come out this next quarter, so we have not used this product yet. My father, who is my guinea pig for all progressives (as he is very concise about his progressive), has liked his lenses so far... I'll keep you updated. So far, the simple convenience of it is great.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our new QSpex system was installed a last week. I have to say, it IS nice not waiting a week for a progressive or polarized lens. Using the molds is pretty easy - the biggest thing is not getting bubbles in the mold when you are filling with polymer (I have done this a couple of times; I just call and they send me a new mold at no cost to replace the one I screwed up). We have been doing the polarized and clear 1.55 AQuity lenses with QuasAR (their AR). Time will tell on the coating durability; I will keep you updated. We stock SV lenses, so this will mostly be used for PAL (there is a short15-16mm and regular 19mm seg) and the polarized. Our rep, Ron, stated that the photo chromatic LTD will come out this next quarter, so we have not used this product yet. My father, who is my guinea pig for all progressives (as he is very concise about his progressive), has liked his lenses so far... I'll keep you updated. So far, the simple convenience of it is great.
    Sharpstick777 and I were talking to to the company rep at VEE last year. The rep indicated the PAL designs they use are the Shamir Genesis and Piccolo.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Our rep, Ron, stated that the PAL design is 2 generations newer than the Autograph II with Shamir.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Another quick update on our QSpex. Patients are liking the progressive design, and are VERY impressed that it can be done the same day - there have been NO non-adapts. The AR is holding up so far, just so everyone is clear - the AR is IN the mold, not sprayed or coated on. The polarized is great, although some of my very large frames have too big of lenses for the Acuity - due to the polarized design, we are not getting the 'stress' patterns in the lens. The polymer fills the molds best if you heat it up a little, then let it sit for a few minutes - this eliminated the bubble problem. The customer service has been fabulous - every time I have called! I would be happy to chat about it if anyone has questions. PM me.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Any issues with drop ball?
    RT

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No issues with drop ball unless you don't use the spacers correctly. The lenses maintain a 2mm center, but on some of the low hyperopic prescriptions the edges get thin. So, there is a spacer you can use to make the lens about 1/2mm thicker. The spacer also works well if you are grooving and just want a little more to the edges of the lens. Sorry it took so long to respond - we were out of town picking up a backup edger.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another quick update on our QSpex. Patients are liking the progressive design, and are VERY impressed that it can be done the same day - there have been NO non-adapts. The AR is holding up so far, just so everyone is clear - the AR is IN the mold, not sprayed or coated on. The polarized is great, although some of my very large frames have too big of lenses for the Acuity - due to the polarized design, we are not getting the 'stress' patterns in the lens. The polymer fills the molds best if you heat it up a little, then let it sit for a few minutes - this eliminated the bubble problem. The customer service has been fabulous - every time I have called! I would be happy to chat about it if anyone has questions. PM me.
    I am getting crazy problems with bubbles in my molds, tell me more about heating up the polymer.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We had this problem too, at first. To solve it:
    1) We put the polymer (still in the bag) in the top 'oven' for about 5 minutes. Do not forget it is in there. This makes it flow much better into the mold. The rep told us to put it on top and not in the oven, but our lab is air conditioned, so we put it inside and not on top.
    2) When you are filling the mold, make sure to go very slow at first so that the polymer coats well down the side.
    3) After you are done, just let it sit under the yellow hood in the filling station for 5-10 minutes. This lets any bubbles migrate to the top. The bubbles do move fast to the top if the polymer has been warmed (as stated above) first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can anyone provide an update on the current state of affairs is at QSpex? Seems like their technology hasn't improved much over the last 4 years, and I don't see/hear much buzz about them from my industry contacts.

I took a look at their webpage, and it appears they have a new business model...described as ' The Fastest Premium Eyewear on the Planet". They recently opened 2 vision centers in Puerto Rico, and their site indicates they are looking to expand on that business model. They will also be offering same day home delivery of finished eyewear via team members using Smart cars.

Perhaps they gave up on their idea of selling casting units directly to professionals...too many skeletons hanging around from prior failed attempts in creating a cost effective casting solution.

Comments?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think I've seen my QSpex rep in about a year, I wasn't happy with their re-designed/bigger mold filling machine (I still use the smaller machine that was first released). I think the major downside is the pricing. Especially when I can get an even better product from US Optical is (sometimes) less than 24 hours. At about the same price.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...here we go, found this on Vision Monday

http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n...ion-service-1/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
    ...here we go, found this on Vision Monday

http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n...ion-service-1/

What an interesting concept,
    "Craig said pricing will be based on a three-tiered plan that lets customers select the level of service and lens design they want. He said the highest level of service will include a “concierge” level that allows ECPs to have an optician personally deliver and fit a patient’s glasses"

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Any of my cousin's to the East have the Down Low on this new venture by Qspex?

Thread Information