Thread: What is going on with Japanese Lens Manufacturers?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

What is going on with Japanese Lens Manufacturers?

I caught wind of Hoya (Mississauga) laying off numerous staff a few weeks back and heard as of today Nikon(Toronto) did the same yesterday. Are they still making lenses on site? Or is it all being outsourced to Asia? Anybody know what is going on?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As volume rises for internet dispensers would layoffs be a surprise? It has to eventually filter down to affect the higher price point labs. Some of the largest labs already own internet dispensers and have vertically integrated .

The cheese is being moved , you wont' even see the next wave of innovation take away the commercial end of your business .

There is not enough volume left in the old B & M business model . The old loyal customers are in nursing homes now . The baby boomers kids buy on the net.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper they purchase only a semi finished product from on-line sellers......................

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

As volume rises for internet dispensers would layoffs be a surprise? It has to eventually filter down to affect the higher price point labs. Some of the largest labs already own internet dispensers and have vertically integrated .

The cheese is being moved , you wont' even see the next wave of innovation take away the commercial end of your business .

There is not enough volume left in the old B & M business model . The old loyal customers are in nursing homes now . The baby boomers kids buy on the net.

idispense ...................... what a straight forward post.

There are not too many on OptiBoard that have realized what is happening. B&M stores will have to change fast and offer services at a charge in order to survive. Even on line customers will need your services and realize that they purchase only a semi finished product from on-line sellers.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

WalMart is Laying off.....................

Could not find any news on Honda or Nikon layoffs in Canada

Walmart Optical Lab Laying off Employees in Fayetteville, Other States

By: Greg Yarbrough

Updated: April 26, 2012

Walmart is laying off employees at its Optical Lab on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in Fayetteville.

In all, 28 positions will be eliminated in Northwest Arkansas.

Optical Labs in Texas and Indiana will also be affected.

According to Walmart reps, the layoffs will allow the Optical Lab to make its operations more efficient, eliminate duplication and reduce costs.

Walmart reps also say the affected employees will be able to apply for jobs elsewhere in the company.

The Walmart Optical Lab in Fayetteville employs 725 people.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 10-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 10-02-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are plenty of consumers who are happy with cheap crap.....they will be satisfied easily at any sears or lenscrafters, or pearl vision 2 for 1. I am happy to own a business in Alberta where many people have vision care. This consumer wants high quality and value, this goes without saying. The B&M dispensaries are fuelled by demand for the best products available. This level of quality is NOT found online, at least nothing I sell is available online. My clientelle wants personal service because that is what I have provided for the past 30 years. My shop does primarily 40 year olds and up. I have edged inhouse for 20 years. There will always be room to retail custom made glasses and provide personal services for the client who prefers the best vision available. For those consumers who feel cheap and poor fitting eyewear is the way to go, fill your boots! I'll see you when you are tired of the junk. poorly fit plain and simple. I don't adjust internet eyewear, or measure PD's for those who ask at any price.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cockeyed View Post
    I caught wind of Hoya (Mississauga) laying off numerous staff a few weeks back and heard as of today Nikon(Toronto) did the same yesterday. Are they still making lenses on site? Or is it all being outsourced to Asia? Anybody know what is going on?
    I can confirm that both companies did recently lay off some employees. This has nothing to do with outsourcing to Asia, in fact Hoya recently announced a major investment into their Mississauga facility. Perhaps increased and technology and automation is the culprit? Perhaps sales are soft? Layoffs are sometimes temporary and non-permanent. Either way, one should never speculate as to the cause.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    As for speculation of lens source. I actually ordered some lenses from Nikon Toronto. The lady who answered my queries could not explain why lenses ordered on a Friday, one pair surfaced and coated in Montreal and one pair in Burnaby. The Burnaby lenses shipped out of Toronto on the Monday. Yet the Montreal lenses would not ship to Toronto until Tuesday and I would probably receive them Wednesday. This leads me to believe lenses are coming from Asia where they could be produced and shipped over the weekend. Where as Montreal probably doesn't start the job until Monday. I specifically asked if they came from Asia and was told Burnaby. Funny how I talked to a laid off employee after this phone call and was told Burnaby closed their surfacing and coating over a year ago. ????
    I understand all the big manufacturers are getting more and more Asian produced products to increase margins. But this is definitely not good for the local economy. I would like to know if what I order was produced locally or not. I don't think being lied to is good. If I want to support jobs locally I should be able to make that choice and avoid products if they don't.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cockeyed View Post
    As for speculation of lens source. I actually ordered some lenses from Nikon Toronto. The lady who answered my queries could not explain why lenses ordered on a Friday, one pair surfaced and coated in Montreal and one pair in Burnaby. The Burnaby lenses shipped out of Toronto on the Monday. Yet the Montreal lenses would not ship to Toronto until Tuesday and I would probably receive them Wednesday. This leads me to believe lenses are coming from Asia where they could be produced and shipped over the weekend. Where as Montreal probably doesn't start the job until Monday. I specifically asked if they came from Asia and was told Burnaby. Funny how I talked to a laid off employee after this phone call and was told Burnaby closed their surfacing and coating over a year ago. ????
    I understand all the big manufacturers are getting more and more Asian produced products to increase margins. But this is definitely not good for the local economy. I would like to know if what I order was produced locally or not. I don't think being lied to is good. If I want to support jobs locally I should be able to make that choice and avoid products if they don't.
    It's called global sourcing and is prevalent with almost every lens manufacturer today. They are simply trying to best utilize their resources and operate in a cost effective streamlined fashion. I don't believe companies really lie about it - rather it's on a need to know basis and not something they broadcast openly.

If you're sending your monthly cheque to a Canadian address, than you are supporting your local economy regardless of where they originate.

Any large company having a large brick and mortar presence in all strategic markets across Canada is an astronimical cost which would drastically inflate lens prices across the board, not to mention they need to remain both competitive and profitable. Would you prefer to pay triple for your lenses? I'm guessing not.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    idispense ...................... what a straight forward post.

There are not too many on OptiBoard that have realized what is happening. B&M stores will have to change fast and offer services at a charge in order to survive. Even on line customers will need your services and realize that they purchase only a semi finished product from on-line sellers.

When access to service becomes scarce then the consumer will come to appreciate it more and pay for it. As of now, the consumer has access to many choices to get service should they need it. There are many B&M stores clamoring for business so there will some tempted to give a way service in the hope of winning a customer.
    Again my thesis: oversupply of ECP in the marketplace. A contraction, in the choices the public have, is inevitable.
    Right now the internet empowers us all with instant access to opinions, advice, reviews and products ie knowledge. This novelty allows some of the public/us to think "we don't need the professional any more" or "I know as much as them, they shouldn't charge that much" or "We can do it ourselves". And to some degree they/we can.

Go rural retirement community and sell product that is not easily accessible online. Or better yet make the product!?

Gib

Thread Information