Thread: Who is the biggest competition?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Who is the biggest competition?

The answer may surpriseyou!

1,000,000GLASSES SOLD SINCE 1996!”......(ONE MILLION stabs in the back-anyonenoticed?)
    THAT AVERAGES OUT TO BE 63,500 PAIRS OFGLASSES A YEAR DIRECT TO THE CONSUMER
    BY ESSILOR!
    "We offerfair, money-saving prices. Savings through us are as much as $150 or more onprescription eyewear and many designer sunglass lines. Our prescription lenses cost about half the priceyou would pay at most retail optical chains.”.....(SNAP- They forgot to mention how much they are saving CONSUMERS over privatepractice! If they only mention “Chain Stores” it’s not bad, because privateOptical office think the Chain stores are bad. Remember also, Essilor is the mainsupplier to CHAIN STORES. We all need help getting the knife out of ourback! The ONE MILLION Consumer question is: Would you support any lab or labsystem, if they were in direct competition with your office?)

Occupation

Isn’t it GREAT to know YOUR LAB isundercutting FRAMES & LENS sales? They have it all covered including ContactLens sales. Why do they seem to get apass on this?
    “We have many more progressive lens brands available by phone. Pleasegive us a call if you don't see what you're looking for….. (Want to bet that all the brands available areESSILOR’s? They had “more progressivelens” listed on the web site a month ago with LOW pricing, but now you have tocall. Seems the word is getting out.)
    “,you can download our handy, easy-to-use, and extremely accurate "Do It Yourself PDMeasuring Tool." Just follow the directions and you'll have your PD measurementlickety-split!”.... (I wonder why Essiloris putting out their “high tech” measuring devices into offices, if all we needis a “do it yourself” instructions and that those are “extremelyaccurate”. See the instructions of howto measure your own PD on Framesdirect.com , while looking in a mirror with apaper ruler “lickety-split. Essilorhas marginalized measurements to the public, while positioning their “hightech” devices in optical office as a solution on how to compete. Does anyonesmell the Marketing machine wheels turning? Which way is it? At least with a paper ruler you know what that isdoing. Next up is “do it yourselfrefractions” and the same story applies!)

Occupation
    “Whenthe seg height measurement is taken, it usually requires the patient oreyeglass customer to be present wearing the frame. The special mathematicalformula devised by Dr. Hodgson does no longer requires the patient to bepresent.”….(Let us try a “WAG” at it…4 mmabove center for progressives, 3mm above center for Trifocal, and 4mm belowcenter for Bifocals. Old rule of thumbif you did not have a measurement but still a “WAG”-Wild A_ _ Guess! That is a“special formula”! Again, Essilor marginalizes our profession!Maybe I could invest in that fancy box of theirs; it may have the “specialmathematical formula” in it. I am surethat is worth the $$$$$ I’d spend. AHHH…the magic of Marketing.)

Occupation
    “MyOnlineOptical has been created inpartnership with FramesDirect.com, theonly successful onlineoptical offering eyeglasses, sunglasses and contactlenses through a model that is consistent withour industry’s high standard of care. Essilor acquired a majority stake in FramesDirect.comto allow ECPs the opportunity to participate in the online space with their ownfull-service e-commerce site, leveraging the experience, technology andexpertise FramesDirect.com has successfully developed since 1996.” (RIGHT- ESSILOR DID THIS FOR MY PRIVATEOFFICE AND TO HELP MY OFFICE. Really? Perhaps it was “1,000,000GLASSES SOLD SINCE 1996! direct to consumers onFramesdirect.com is the reason for that deal. )

Occupation
    Who is your BIGGEST COMPETITOR? Why would you support those who competewith you? Who is the Lab System that isplaying all sides, from Consumer to Retail Chains, to Private Practice? NO DEAL THEY GIVE YOU IS WORTH IT, WHEN YOUHELP OUT YOUR BIGGEST COMPETITOR. Essilor is the one getting the DEAL. Essilor is the Elephant in the room that is missed. Essiloris your BIGGEST COMPETITOR who has been welcomed into your practice and they BRAG about “1,000,000GLASSES SOLD SINCE 1996!directly to consumers. We can cut through the fog of the marketingthat is produced and see clearly what is going on. Maybe for starters, check it out, and STOPDRINKING THE KOOL-AID.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, My lab is an Essilor Lab.

But you need to remember, of the 63,500 pairs sold each year, how many they "Remake" or of the people who purchase them and are not happy with the glasses made because the PD's Seg, and OC's are not made correctly and then they turn to their local Optical retailer in order to get their glasses made correctly.

I will have at least 3 or more a month that come in with glasses they ordered online or at an one hour shop and their glasses are made incorrectly, and then half of those will wind up getting their money back and order their glasses with me.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    Well, My lab is an Essilor Lab.
    We have weaned ourselves off our Essilor lab and now use a true independent in Chicago area...

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    I will have at least 3 or more a month that come in with glasses they ordered online or at an one hour shop and their glasses are made incorrectly, and then half of those will wind up getting their money back and order their glasses with me.
    Sometimes our biggest competition is ourselves....we must all do our best to insure that they will never go anywhere else.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That will be very hard. People move to other place, and they won't come back to us again. Seems online stores have nothing to worry about this. You could buy only if you have computer. What would you say?

Occupation
    Having a computer is not much of an issue these days. I point is Essilor has actively gone around Optical businesses directly to the consumer. Why is they getting a pat on the back when anyone esle would get the boot in the rear?

Occupation
    For sure, many offices have not earned everyones business. How do you feel about The biggest lens supplier competing with your office and in many cases undercut on pricing?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Danoroo,

The ELOA network is your competition, as a wholesale lab they compete against you for the most part. I have found over the years independent labs are very difficult to deal with. The ELOA labs have generous terms and warranties which translate to me better competing online. The prices on FD are also easy to match when necessary and is just seen as another low cost alternative like the many discount outfitters out there.

Bring on the bashing, I know don't feed the beast and other such non sense, but the reality is that I ma simple to gain business from give me the same or better and I would switch, if I liked you.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You *might* get more people interested if you stuck to one font, one style, and learned how to use a spell checker, not to mention grammar.

I grant that you are upset, but instead of ranting and railing against the Big E, why not devise a solution to compete or offset them? You are using a "screen name" instead of your real name, that's a strike for veracity. What is it that you (or your company) bring to the table? What products do you sell that are not part of the Big E?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I grant that you are upset, but instead of ranting and railing against the Big E, why not devise a solution to compete or offset them? You are using a "screen name" instead of your real name, that's a strike for veracity. What is it that you (or your company) bring to the table? What products do you sell that are not part of the Big E?
    That is good advice, I don't care about your opinion of your competition, I don't want you telling me which vendors you approve of for me, with limited resources to make an impression on me your potential customer don't waste it flinging doo doo. Showcase yourself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well to begin with, this dr hodsgan or whatever his name might be, is full of it, as i devised that formula years ago, and have posted it here on optiboard a number of times. It just so happens i call it saakes rule of 35, whereby 99 percent of the time all line bifocals will be set 3 to 5 mm below the center line, and all progressives will be set 3 to 5mm above the center line, Hmmmm average just happens to be 4

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I deal with a mom and pop lab. Great service I can get any progressive or lens made. I have tried several times using Essilor labs and the turnaround time just not there or quality in workmanship. Small independent fast turn around time and they take great care of my practice.
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information