Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Needed for Exam Lane? Cost?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Equipment Needed for Exam Lane? Cost?

Hello,

We are just starting to look into expanding to have our very own exam lane. I know for sure we are going to use an LCD eye chart due to the minimal room we have. My question is, since we don't have an OD just yet, what equipment is absolutely required to perform comprehensive eye exams and contact lens exams? Im really looking for an itemized list of equipment needed so I can start looking for them. Also what are good brands to look for long lasting and durability? What would a rough estimate of what you think I will spend on just the equipment all brand new.

I am not sure what the doctor usually brings to the table, though that may vary depending on the doctor I guess.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by eyepeople; 08-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    First, find a local used equipment dealer. They usually don't charge for set-up which is a big savings, and will be around to service your stuff. Give the dealer a tour of the room and the measurements.

Second, wait to order equipment until you find the OD. Many are really picky about the type of slit lamp/phoropter/tonometer/hand instruments. Your OD may already have the hand instruments, depth, and color tests.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post

Second, wait to order equipment until you find the OD. Many are really picky about the type of slit lamp/phoropter/tonometer/hand instruments. Your OD may already have the hand instruments, depth, and color tests.

Harry
    i
    I have 13 Ods that I contract through my offices. Yes, they can be "picky" but that can quickly be cured with 2 sentences: "This is our equipment. It is very functional, but if there is a piece of equipment that you would rather have, you are permitted to supply your own.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need:

Chair
    Stand
    Slit Lamp
    Phoroptor
    Keratometer
    BIO Indirect
    Trial lens set/frame
    Projector or digital VA system

My ODs all carry their own hand held instruments, as well as foreign body removal kits, even though I will sometimes supply them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    First, find a local used equipment dealer. They usually don't charge for set-up which is a big savings, and will be around to service your stuff. Give the dealer a tour of the room and the measurements.

Harry
    Used things will help to reduce the cost, a lot. and also Johns made a very clear list.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    i
    I have 13 Ods that I contract through my offices. Yes, they can be "picky" but that can quickly be cured with 2 sentences: "This is our equipment. It is very functional, but if there is a piece of equipment that you would rather have, you are permitted to supply your own.

I wouldn't take this approach. Crap in equals crap out. Its the equivalent of an od throwing "functional tools" to you in the optical.

An optician's idea of what works, may not be what an od needs, nor what is standard of care. And believe me...i have dealt with this with an optician owner...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A big omission...some sort of tonometer. A direct ophthalmascope for older ods...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Contact Matt or Axel at AIT in Chicago! 800-729-1959.

Johns list is very complete. AIT can provide a quality exam room for less than you think and it is all new. Give them a call and find out.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    I wouldn't take this approach. Crap in equals crap out. Its the equivalent of an od throwing "functional tools" to you in the optical.

An optician's idea of what works, may not be what an od needs.
    You said "crap" not me. It is this attitude that I can usually spot long before the unemployed OD even gets out of his BMW. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that type as I won't work with them.

Functional is a 2 year old lane, with a Reichert Chair/Stand, a Topcon Phoroptor, a good Haag Streit slit lamp, and other comparable equipment. You can usually pick these up for under $10k from ODs that have gone out of business.

When they start complaining about not having the very latest in automated, digital equipment, that's when I tell them they can buy their own.

And believe me...i have dealt with this with an optician owner...
    Yes, I had assumed that you had looked for work at an optician's practice before.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You said "crap" not me. It is this attitude that I can usually spot long before the unemployed OD even gets out of his BMW. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that type as I won't work with them.

Functional is a 2 year old lane, with a Reichert Chair/Stand, a Topcon Phoroptor, a good Haag Streit slit lamp, and other comparable equipment. You can usually pick these up for under $10k from ODs that have gone out of business.

When they start complaining about not having the very latest in automated, digital equipment, that's when I tell them they can buy their own.

Yes, I had assumed that you had looked for work at an optician's practice before.

Wasn't saying you offer crap...its good to know you don't. What i am talking about is the optician who provides the old slit lamp, where the magnification cannot be used, the system does not focus with required lenses on DFE, and thinks everything is fine because it is a "slit lamp" and meets your checklist requirements. Same thing applies to the 1970's AO tonometer, etc...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Wasn't saying you offer crap...its good to know you don't.
    I can't see how this could be interpreted any other way:

Originally Posted by OHPNTZ

I wouldn't take this approach. Crap in equals crap out.

I wish I could take you through my warehouse and show you all the equipment that has been (recently) taken out of ODs' offices that meet the description you gave. I recently sold two Greens phoroptors to an OD in Missouri that owns 2 offices and is opening a third. (truly "state of the aren't") His exact words were, "Best phoroptor ever made...should've never stopped making them!" Where did I get them, from an OD that retired from his private "practice" here in Ohio.

What i am talking about is the optician who provides the old slit lamp, where the magnification cannot be used, the system does not focus with required lenses on DFE, and thinks everything is fine because it is a "slit lamp" and meets your checklist requirements. Same thing applies to the 1970's AO tonometer, etc...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't see how this could be interpreted any other way:

I wish I could take you through my warehouse and show you all the equipment that has been (recently) taken out of ODs' offices that meet the description you gave. I recently sold two Greens phoroptors to an OD in Missouri that owns 2 offices and is opening a third. (truly "state of the aren't") His exact words were, "Best phoroptor ever made...should've never stopped making them!" Where did I get them, from an OD that retired from his private "practice" here in Ohio.

Again, it's not an attack on you...but you have the original poster who likely doesn't know much about the equipment necessary for an exam lane. The initial replies state to buy used...which is fine. Now if this person goes out with your check list (which is fairly accurate) purchases some questionable items (ie my slit lamp and NCT references) and then takes the attitude of this is our equipment deal with it or bring your own, then there is your "crap in equals crap out".

If you would have prefaced your comment with "I provide equipment that has been made since the year 2000..." and it is worthwhile to do so because of x, y, z then fine...

The greens are fine for those raised on them...that's why they like them. An old slit lamp or NCT though, are not up to standard of care.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Question:

What's the difference between

a trial frame:
    http://doclibrary.com/MSC167/PRM/Trial_Frame5354.jpg

and a phoroptor:
    http://www.hamptonroyeye.com/images/phoropter.jpg

Thanks

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A trial frame is a frame, the size of a pair of glasses and can be fitted with various combinations of lenses. It is the size of a standard eyeglass frame, and can be worn (in the exam office setting) to "trial" the prescription. It usually weighs about 9 oz.

A phoroptor is the instrument that has many lenses self contained within it, and it used during the exam to refract the patient. It is attached to the stand and weighs about 8 pounds.

This is my definition (an optician). Others here can give you a much more technical definition.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In terms of refraction do they not serve the same or similar purpose? Not denying the importance of a phoroptor but I'm asking this question with the perspective that the thread initiator asked "what equipment is absolutely required to perform comprehensive eye exams" so in the interest of minimizing his/her initial investment, could a trial frame be used? Or is it not a suitable replacement for a phoroptor?

Thanks

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepeople View Post
    Hello,

We are just starting to look into expanding to have our very own exam lane. I know for sure we are going to use an LCD eye chart due to the minimal room we have. My question is, since we don't have an OD just yet, what equipment is absolutely required to perform comprehensive eye exams and contact lens exams? Im really looking for an itemized list of equipment needed so I can start looking for them. Also what are good brands to look for long lasting and durability? What would a rough estimate of what you think I will spend on just the equipment all brand new.

I am not sure what the doctor usually brings to the table, though that may vary depending on the doctor I guess.

Thanks for any help!
    Well, as usual a simple question has turned into a battle of opinions and egos, so to answer your original question since I recently purchased all of this brand new...

*Chair
    *Stand
    *Phoropter
    *Slit Lamp
    *Keratometer
    *Projector and Chart
    *Tonometer
    *Autorefractor (if desired, is helpful and doubles as Keratometer)
    *Most OD's carry their own hand held equipment (ophthalmoscope, trial lenses etc.)

All of this can be purchased for under $15K U.S. and all is excellent quality. Or you can sign your life away and give your right arm on brand name equipment.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=

All of this can be purchased for under $15K U.S. and all is excellent quality. Or you can sign your life away and give your right arm on brand name equipment.[/QUOTE]

Got to disagree. Had a grey label phoropter have the -1.00 cylinder slip 15 degrees due to bad glue. Took a lot of remakes to figure that out. Had a grey label chair short circuit with a very loud pop/explosion. After repair it snapped when a 300 pound patient sat on it.

I suggest you go used. A Reliance chair/stand will last forever, an american optical/reichert phoropter will also endure.

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it. I came across a vintage chair and stand that is in good shape. I was wondering if anyone has has any experience using one that is older. It is a hydraulic unit so I'm just wondering if there is any disadvantages to using older units or if that is a pain for the OD's. I would still use updated equipment with it. I just love the old stuff... ya know?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got to disagree. Had a grey label phoropter have the -1.00 cylinder slip 15 degrees due to bad glue. Took a lot of remakes to figure that out. Had a grey label chair short circuit with a very loud pop/explosion. After repair it snapped when a 300 pound patient sat on it.

I suggest you go used. A Reliance chair/stand will last forever, an american optical/reichert phoropter will also endure.

Harry
    I couldn't agree more! There is a LOT of brand new JUNK out there! Don't be fooled by the words "brand new".

There are many practioners out there that buy good, new equipment, only to go out of business, merge with a group, or any number of scenarios that force them to sell after only a few years. Typically, if someone is selling equipment because they didn't have enough patients, chances are, the equipment was barely used.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Harry
    Ours is working perfectly, so it is possible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Ours is working perfectly, so it is possible.
    And they will all work perfectly...for a time.

I bought a Woodlyn lane back in 1999. Bought it new, and it was a nice unit. I couldn't figure out however, why it was $4k less than everything else on the market. In Sept. 2003, with 18 pts. on the book, the OD walks out of the exam room and says, "Check this out.". The exact thing that Harry described happened to us...there were three lenses "floating" around in the phoroptor. Total rebuild? No way. I bought a used Rechert, had it cleaned for $250, and we're still using it today.

I also bought a digital projector "brand new" at VEW in 2008. In 2009, the bulb burned out. Guess what? IMPOSSIBLE to replace the bulb. I went to the largest bulb dealer in the country...even sent them the bulb. No dice.

I LOVE deals, but I don't be cheap tires, and I buy quality equipment.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I bought a Woodlyn lane back in 1999. Bought it new, and it was a nice unit. I couldn't figure out however, why it was $4k less than everything else on the market. In Sept. 2003, with 18 pts. on the book, the OD walks out of the exam room and says, "Check this out.". The exact thing that Harry described happened to us...there were three lenses "floating" around in the phoroptor. Total rebuild? No way. I bought a used Rechert, had it cleaned for $250, and we're still using it today.

The problem phoropter I described earlier was a Woodlyn also. And the problems were also around 1999. I hear the quality is now better, but a used reichert phoropter is about $2800, the same as a new grey market.

Reichert and Reliance are like Boston Whalers and the classic VW beetle. They don't depreciate when you buy them used, I've sold both a used whaler and a beetle for more than I initially paid.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've sold both a used whaler and a beetle for more than I initially paid.

Harry
    LOL! My first car was a 1974 Beetle! I bought it for $50 in 1979, drove the wheels off of it for 3 years (high school), blew the engine, and sold it (w/blown engine) for $500.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

hey where did you buy your equipment for under 15k? I am in Canada as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Well, as usual a simple question has turned into a battle of opinions and egos, so to answer your original question since I recently purchased all of this brand new...

*Chair
    *Stand
    *Phoropter
    *Slit Lamp
    *Keratometer
    *Projector and Chart
    *Tonometer
    *Autorefractor (if desired, is helpful and doubles as Keratometer)
    *Most OD's carry their own hand held equipment (ophthalmoscope, trial lenses etc.)

All of this can be purchased for under $15K U.S. and all is excellent quality. Or you can sign your life away and give your right arm on brand name equipment.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Thread Information