Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transitions Vantage?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had mine for about a year and love them. The indoor tint is about half the X-tractives tint. I take them fishing and they only lenses I like better are my Oakley's as far as the clarity. I've yet to see any change in the car, but once out side they are second only to actual sun lenses.
    I have them in trivex and what ever ar Transitions uses for samples (Crizal EZ I think).
    Over all I LOVE them!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have them, also in trivex, with an added AR coat. LOVE. THEM. i can even take them bowfishing without sacrificing anything.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My young sons wear them. We like to fish, camp, and hike. The Vantage allows me to have them wear only one pair that does pretty well in all light conditions. I would not wear them personally. They don't get completely clear, and they are not dark behind a windshield. If I went on a serious backpacking trip, I would rather take two pair of Vantage than one clear pair and one sun pair.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lenslover View Post
    Has there been any new opinions on this lens? Is the indoor tint very noticeable? Has there been improvement in the fade back speed? Is the indoor tint more or less noticeable than Xtractive lens?
    They're still the same technology as two years ago, so no changes. Supposedly the hi-index is coming out some time in 2015.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a great lens if you don't expect much. That way you won't be disappointed. I tell my accounts that when it darkens a little it's a little polarized. When it darkens more it's more polarized, but never as dark as a dedicated grey 3 polarized.
    Money carefully refunded

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We are dispensing a lot of them and people seem to love them, my co worker wears a pair coupled with Alize and poly, with a good amount of time in the sun they get pretty dark but as said in the upper post they are not quite polar grey 3

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ordered my first pair of these this weekend ... i have yet to sell them to a patient mostly because i'm not confident in the product. i hated my last pair of regular transitions lets see if i can hate these more ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

vantage

Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    I ordered my first pair of these this weekend ... i have yet to sell them to a patient mostly because i'm not confident in the product. i hated my last pair of regular transitions lets see if i can hate these more ;)
    We are looking forward to your impressions of this product.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SO. they stay a little dark all the time, its KIND of noticeable, but not too bad. they change slowly, but they definitely feel more like a sunglass than my regular transitions ever did. I did them with prevencia, as of right now they aren't the worst thing i've ever put on my face I think for someone out doorsey (i like to hike and play outside with the kids and stuff) its a great fit. Probably not so much for the old school 20 year transition wearers, but I could definitely see some younger people going for this and not hating it. I notice the tint, but my coworkers can vouch for the fact that i am "that" patient who's overly picky. I felt like once they were changed the colors were nice and crisp and i didn't run over the construction guy because of glare. Overall, i'm not completely dissatisfied which is more than i can say for any other transitions product i've worn in the past 10+ years of wearing glasses.

It was hard to notice them transitioning, things stayed just as crisp as they did using them clear so it was a little nuts when i looked in the mirror. this technology makes my brain explode a little bit its pretty cool.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am back in the business after 2 years out and I've been dealing with a lab that doesn't cut them correctly - along the 180 polar line. Does anyone else have this issue. They are working on their third pr of spheres that still aren't right!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Bolster View Post
    I am back in the business after 2 years out and I've been dealing with a lab that doesn't cut them correctly - along the 180 polar line. Does anyone else have this issue. They are working on their third pr of spheres that still aren't right!
    Wow. That's just not acceptable.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Is partial polarization worth the slow fade back penalty?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, even in a dark room i don't notice the slow fade back as much as i do with my other transitions. I unfortunately got them in a frame that i LOVE, but they are working out fantastically as a second pair. I have been wearing them when i go to play dates with my friends nad their kids, baseball games, and that sort of thing where i don't want to haul around two pair and the difference is SO worth it from my other transitions. However, the fact that i would still need a 2nd pair from the car would probably turn me off to purchasing them if i hadn't been given the opportunity to try them out by my lab guy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    On of the the doctors that I work for tried Vantage this year ( I looked as the post started in 2012). She did not seem too impressed with them. She is moderate myope too. Wait 2 more years and see where Transitions Vantage is at again, maybe?
    The one patient who tried Xtractive seems to like them in 2013.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had the vantage in one of my pairs for about a year now and I am overall pleased, but it is NOT a solution for the very light sensitive patient if it is their only source of sunglasses. Works well for short term, not so much for the beach or pool and driving is only good with the top down for short distances. Overall the slight tint is not readily noticeable to any of my patients and every one I have told that they are a transitions lens is surprised by their clarity. This of course is helped by the very good crizal sapphire AR on them. I have no problem with the switchback to clear, 10 minutes or so, but remember, although not totally lightened in 60 seconds, they have lightened CONSIDERABLY by then. it is just the last 20% that seems to be stubborn and are ok indoors when the lights are on even before 60 seconds. I haven't sold many due to the cost, but patients are ever so much more flexible when they hear regular transitions signature are only 149.00 compared, and seriously consider a real sunglass instead as well. Overall, they have their place in my practice. Just as an aside, they are considerably lighter than the extra active in transitions vi, a little lighter than extra active signature.
    Last edited by rrgirl; 06-27-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: left out tint conparison

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No Transitions of any kind are a substitute for a dedicated pair of sunglasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can not believe these three words have not shown up in this thread: MAJOR CREEP FACTOR.

I tried a set and I would say they work ok, but at least in our desert sun, it takes 10-20 minutes for them to become clear again upon walking inside. In the interim, they have noticeable streaks of differing color densities.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I am unable to really demonstrate that the lenses are polarized. I put them in the freezer so they would be cold. Then outside fully activated in bright sunlight. Then I rotated them in front of a pair of polarized lenses. There was very little blackout. It was minimal if at all. Is this what is to be expected? Is the polarization very weak? I do not notice any dots on car windshields that are normally seen with polarized lenses. Could they be defective, or is this the nature of the beast.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lenslover View Post
    I am unable to really demonstrate that the lenses are polarized. I put them in the freezer so they would be cold. Then outside fully activated in bright sunlight. Then I rotated them in front of a pair of polarized lenses. There was very little blackout. It was minimal if at all. Is this what is to be expected? Is the polarization very weak? I do not notice any dots on car windshields that are normally seen with polarized lenses. Could they be defective, or is this the nature of the beast.
    They are not temperature sensitive like glass for the freezer test and the polarization increases with the darkness, so indoors there will not be any worthwhile polarization effect. If you're trying the blackout indoors, you won't be happy. And of course they do not get dark in the car, so therefore will not polarize inside the car....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Compare them also by rotating in front of a computer screen along with a good polarized pair of sunglasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I cooled them in freezer so that the lenses would activate fully. The temperature does affect the achievable darkness of these lenses. In front of the computer screen at about 45degree angle the good polarized lenses blacked out the screen. The Vantage got a little dark.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you read the pop, it says polarizing, but NOT polarized. They only polarized about 30-40 percent as far as i can tell. better than plain transitions, but NOT a substitute for real dedicated sunglass. that is why i said short term solution for some people. true polarizing will give close to 95% or better.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rrgirl View Post
    if you read the pop, it says polarizing, but NOT polarized. They only polarized about 30-40 percent as far as i can tell. better than plain transitions, but NOT a substitute for real dedicated sunglass. that is why i said short term solution for some people. true polarizing will give close to 95% or better.
    No photochromic product is a substitute for dedicated sunglasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no kidding. really? thats what i have to keep telling my patients....
    but they are better than none at all.

this says I am an apprentice Optiboarder... been an optician about 50 years

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rrgirl View Post
    no kidding. really? thats what i have to keep telling my patients....
    but they are better than none at all.

this says I am an apprentice Optiboarder... been an optician about 50 years
    Maybe after all that time your more like a Dr then you thought you were..............still "practicing". Be careful, someday you may be one.

Thread Information