Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep in the heart of......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Java, I used to live in Dallas. In general, opticians there are as apathetic as they come. COAT, ROATx along with a few others have tried to get interest up in that area to no avail. We even had a state wide convention up there a few years ago....A whopping 45 opticians showed up, and most of those were from someplace other than the Dallas area. (COAT's Houston monthly CE meetings draw over 100 consistently for comparison..)

To start a chapter I would think you would need a minimum of 3 very committed opticians. ( Pres., VP and treasurer) but I speak out of turn, I don't represent COAT, I'm only a technical writer/adviser for them. Once again, if you can generate enough interest I'd be happy to connect you with their leadership.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Part of the problem might be the huge 1st Eye Care group here with its yearly conference, free CE for all staff, docs pay for hotel and everything. The last two years when I was part of that group, over 300 people are required to be there by their doc employers.

I'm going to start asking around to see if I can find any real interest. I could commit two people, and all future staff I hire.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would guess that if 50 committed, you would be lucky to have 10 people show up at any given meeting.

I wish there was a legitimate organization in Austin. I miss the COAT type meetings and interaction.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would enjoy the fellowship of other career opticians (in person) (OB is great too). Perhaps a monthly meeting would not be too difficult to pull off.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm ABOC and Texas registered, and proud to let my customers know that I am part of an elite group of opticians truly qualified to help with their eyewear. I did participate in ROATX, and am considering the OAT option, because they offered ce's at the entry and more importantly, advanced level when available. They also promoted "Raise the Bar" to promote a more learned professional. Even at my advanced age, I was in the first NAIT distance learning class. We all should take the time to advance our skills, even when not required, so we can deliver a higher level of expertise to our customers. Opticians as a group don't always have the resources to attend the various training sessions that are available. If we had mandatory licensing, we, as a group would be forced to gather together as a group to make our profession a more recognized professional. With a voluntary registration, so many "opticians" feel they don't need to spend the time or $ to get this recognition.
    Those of us that really love our profession need to keep hanging in there, paying the dues and letting our customers know WE are the vision experts who can analyze the rx and help fit the proper lenses for their needs.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi!
    Texas Optician ABOC, but not involved in any other organizations.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To update: I've spoken to three other owner/ operators. One didn't know there was a registry in TX, which is unsurprising as mine is the only one I've ever seen. One wasn't even ABO and I should have known better than to ask her, as two years ago she called the office where I was working to ask what trivex was. The third was also uninterested. Two of those owners want out of the business entirely.

I could commit four people, but I don't have the time yet. In six months I probably will.

Thread Information