Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep in the heart of......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Deep in the heart of......

If you are an optician in TEXAS say "Hi!"
    Are you a member of ANY TX optician organizations?
    Are you ABO certified?
    Are you "Registered"?
    Do you work for private prctice (OD or OMD) chain,Lab or MFG. ?

I'll start: I'm not currently a member of any organizations (was a member of COAT long ago),
    I'm ABOC, NOT Registered
    and I work for an OD

Maybe we Texans should get to know each other...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi ya, Not a member of any organization, not really aware of any either. ABOC, not registered. Private upscale practice, OD. I have my associates from the east coast, Ex Navy optician and very bored today at work ;).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why aren't you a member of COAT any longer?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not from Texas, but am confused about this ABOC "not registered" thing. You are certified or not. If you do not keep up the CE credits, you are no longer certified. Is that not correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In texas you can take an exam and be registered (voluntarily of course) and yet still not have to sit for the ABO.(really). It is my understanding that when registration was introduced to Texas many "opticians" were just "grandfathered" in by just paying the registration fee. I think that there is a CE requirement to maintained though and a fee.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just as a note: Many Texas opticians that I know, who are ABOC or higher, choose not to be registered since it is not required. Perhaps some other Texas opticians can add more info about the situation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    tx, to be registered in the state of Texas you must have at least basic ABOC. You also need more CE's than the ABO requires (10 per 2 yr. period). In fact proof of registration is good enough to keep your ABO certificate current. (the ABO recognizes Tx. registration).

When the state passed voluntary registration in the 90's, we had over 2k opticians register thinking it would lead to mandatory licensure. (which has never happened despite heroic efforts..) Now the number of opticians registered has dropped below 50. Texas has a lot of ABO certified opticians, it's a shame the vast majority don't register.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm originally a Texas optician. I now reside in Louisiana where there are no laws governing opticians as far as I know. There isn't even an option to register. I am ABO certified. I was about to register in Texas before I moved to Louisiana. I called the louisiana optometry board when I got here just to see what the rules were here concerning opticians. They said that there were none. Lovely.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    tx, to be registered in the state of Texas you must have at least basic ABOC. You also need more CE's than the ABO requires (10 per 2 yr. period). In fact proof of registration is good enough to keep your ABO certificate current. (the ABO recognizes Tx. registration).

When the state passed voluntary registration in the 90's, we had over 2k opticians register thinking it would lead to mandatory licensure. (which has never happened despite heroic efforts..) Now the number of opticians registered has dropped below 50. Texas has a lot of ABO certified opticians, it's a shame the vast majority don't register.
    Thanks, all. I had forgotten about this voluntary registration process. It is a shame more do not take advantage of that opportunity to set themselves apart from the rest. But like any field that requires almost nothing to enter (and in some cases it IS nothing) there will be few who see the need. That is why I constantly comment on needing to raise the bar a bit. Until we, as a profession across all borders, require something beyond a pulse, we are dead in the water.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks. I did not know that. You statement made me curious so I called the registry...it seems that the application requirement has included the ABO since 2005. This is a good thing! That original 2k might have been a lot of "grandfathered" opticians. (although I might be misinformed about that too). .Some ABOCs ( at least ME) probably don't see the need to pay for both if they are not required or offer greater financial reward. Same thing for COAT. I do think that a Fellowship of TX opticians would be cool though( maybe divide TX into 6 different areas and form local groups. ???maybe What do you think?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Thanks, all. I had forgotten about this voluntary registration process. It is a shame more do not take advantage of that opportunity to set themselves apart from the rest. But like any field that requires almost nothing to enter (and in some cases it IS nothing) there will be few who see the need. That is why I constantly comment on needing to raise the bar a bit. Until we, as a profession across all borders, require something beyond a pulse, we are dead in the water.
    I think a mandatory registration would be great! I would get and keep it if it meant that only those who achieved it could dispense and advise on eyewear. We would then see more optician job adds asking for applicants with the most important qualification being skill and knowledge (registration) instead of SALES But I'm ranting ....please excuse me. I do encourage everyone on here and those that I meet in our field to get and keep the ABOC. It is a starting point for a minimum requirement. I admire those who have taken it and failed but keep after it and finally pass.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some rewards can be personal satisfaction along with being able to better serve your clients/patients. COAT is well worth the cost. 6-8 CE's a year along with a meal at a nice restaurant during every CE (all included in the yearly dues). They also put on a local convention with vendors and extra CE's and classes (like a guarantee ABO pass class by John Soper.) They also put out monthly/bi-monthly newsletters.

Lastly, they are the only 501(c) (3) optician's organization in Texas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some rewards can be personal satisfaction along with being able to better serve your clients/patients. COAT is well worth the cost. 6-8 CE's a year along with a meal at a nice restaurant during every CE (all included in the yearly dues). They also put on a local convention with vendors and extra CE's and classes (like a guarantee ABO pass class by John Soper.) They also put out monthly/bi-monthly newsletters.

Lastly, they are the only 501(c) (3) optician's organization in Texas.
    TX11 ...LIKE. I will certainly look into it. Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any other Texans ABOC or not, registered or not ? Come say" HI!"

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Texas Optician here, A.B.O. Certified. I was Registered with the State back in the 90's but the then Governor( who later moved to Washington DC) rejected/vetoed the bill to list Opticians as providers of Medical Goods and Services...I figured why give my money to the state? and receive nothing in return. I don't belong to any Optical organizations. I work in a private OD practice. Also, I just wanted to say Hi!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in Texas and am ABO certified but not registered. I work for two ODs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a registered optician and contact lens from the Department of Texas State Health. I am ABO/NCLE I was a memeber of ROATx and some of you know what happened to Roatx and I think its new name is OAT( opticians Asso Texas). 24/7 I hope you are doing good.
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in TX, ABOC and registered. My "license" is the only one I've ever seen, and I've worked in this state since 2000. Sad. Also belong to OAA and NAO. I run an optical shop, no OD.

I would join COAT if the CE meetings weren't five hours away from me. It's more time efficient for me to go to an Expo and get CE than to drive and lose two days several times a year for the one hour credit. We really, really need more localized groups offering what COAT does, especially because the Texas registration requires in person CE, no online courses.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TX Registered, ABO-AC, NCLEC, former member of a state society before I woke up. I'm with Java99, COAT is too far to drive. I have never had a problem submitting online CEs for renewal.

I work for a private OD and enjoy being able to tell my patients that I am one of a very select group of opticians in Texas.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lets see.. we should have local groups in Housto,DFW,Austin,Lubbock, Wichita Falls and Corpus Christi. TEXAS IS SO BIG!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the least I think Houston, Austin, DFW and West.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would join such a group.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    I would join such a group.
    Me, too. I would gladly pay dues for a COAT or like chapter here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If any of you are serious about starting a chapter outside of Houston I'll be glad to put you in touch with COAT leadership. The reason why there are no chapters elsewhere is simply Optician apathy and reluctance of Opticians in general to volunteer to help their own profession. The same as the reluctance to advance oneself unless more money is involved..

With the resistance that opticianry puts up as a whole toward advancement, I'm surprised folks Like Warren and Roy and others continue to try to help. I've all but given up myself, and it's a shame that I've gotten myself into this attitude. Sorry for the mini rant, but after years of beating myself up and running into walls I'm tired of it...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If any of you are serious about starting a chapter outside of Houston I'll be glad to put you in touch with COAT leadership. The reason why there are no chapters elsewhere is simply Optician apathy and reluctance of Opticians in general to volunteer to help their own profession. The same as the reluctance to advance oneself unless more money is involved..

With the resistance that opticianry puts up as a whole toward advancement, I'm surprised folks Like Warren and Roy and others continue to try to help. I've all but given up myself, and it's a shame that I've gotten myself into this attitude. Sorry for the mini rant, but after years of beating myself up and running into walls I'm tired of it...
    I wonder how many opticians we would need to get to commit before it would be possible/worth it?

Thread Information