Thread: Polarized Lens Complaints

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polarized Lens Complaints

Hey folks, just had a question to toss out there. We do quite a lot of rx suns in our office, and with that, a lot of polarized lenses. We've had a few people come back complaining about seeing distortion out of them recently. Generally their complaint is the standard "I see checkerboards on the back windshields of cars." which I believe has something to do with the tempered glass, but the complains have been more than just that. I had a guy come in and buy a pair of non-rx versace polarized suns, jumped back into his new BMW, then run right back in to complain that he couldn't see any of his dashboard... I've had two in the last month alone that had to be changed from polarized to just a standard tint because they were noticing that pattern on their own windshields... Unfortunately it seems like a bit of a sign of the times that the more LCD screens we encounter in the course of our day, the more issues we're going to have with polarized lenses, but my concern is that my lab also might be using a sub-standard polarized filter when making our sunglasses. I know even really good lenses like Maui Jim even have this issue, but is it possible that a lower quality polarization filter could show those patterns even more? Thoughts?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems to be typical issues of polar lenses. LCD's , without going into the specifics (because I don't know them), are a layered display, which is counter productive of the polarizing sun lens. I also find displays, dashboard, gas pump, cell phone have this issue. I have just resolved to tilt my head to help clear up the display. Most times it works somewhat, or I change to my clear lens. The only difference in polarized as I understand is the level of tint. The darker the tint, the better they work. Lighter tints just don't absorb as much light. Kinda like looking through clear venetian blinds. Clear, no blocking of light, dark, better blocking of light. There might be lesser quality polar, but I haven't encountered any. Hope this helps.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sadly with the advent of so much computerized displays in cars, and that they still use low quality LCD screens, this will be an issue...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Best way to check polarizing axis of a lens is to use a finished plano @ 180 polar axis against Rx lenses. If the "film" was orientated properly during processing, Rx lens should remain unchanged in terms of darkness and "black out" if rotated 90 degrees. On thing I have noticed is that an LCD screen such as a computer monitor will "black out" if polarized lens is rotated 45 degrees but not if rotated to an axis of 135..odd I know but try it. I will call my polarized lens source for explanation regarding this issue.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized lenses reveal stress. Many vehicles (particularly Ford and Toyota) have rear (not windshield) that is lain hot on a curved mesh (for quicker cooling) during shapeing and tempering. This is visible when wearing polarized lenses. But the windshield is lanimated (have been since the '30's or before) and does not show stress patterns in this way. However some stress (which shouldn't be there) can sometimes be seen around edges where it may be stresse by the mounting hardware.
    Tell patients to look only at GM products which don't seem to have this problem.

Chip.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Shows stress.............................

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post

I know even really good lenses like Maui Jim even have this issue, but is it possible that a lower quality polarization filter could show those patterns even more? Thoughts?

Polarized is polarized, and it shows stress that is invisible without it. So lower quality as you say, would show less not more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Polarized is polarized, and it shows stress that is invisible without it. So lower quality as you say, would show less not more.
    That was the crux of my concern, Chris. I know the issues with polarized lenses and LCDs etc, but I wanted to be sure that it was just a sign of our times, and not my lab using inferior product. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    More and more, auto manufacturers are using LCD "glass cockpits" in cars these days. Ditto for HVAC and on-board entertainment control. Was looking at the new 2013 Ford Fusion, the only analog display is the speedometer, everything else is displayed via LCD displays.

Just another thing for us eyecare professionals to keep in mind.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've seen this as less of a problem with smartphones lately, but no improvement at gas pumps.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It bothers me, too. Looking for an answer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any and all polarized lenses will do this. With the way they are laminating windshields and pressing them together, they are seeing the pressure points on the windows. There's nothing that can be done about that. And with dashboards becoming more like computer monitors people will complain more and more.

I've jokingly told some who have complained about the same things to Invest in a GREAT pair of Polarized Sunglasses and get older cars. Some laugh, most look confused by the statement.

The only way this will get better is when they reverse the alignment of the screens, gas pump dials, etc in order for polarized glasses to not get the bad wrap they get now.

I for one have no problems with my 4 Pair of Polarized sunglasses or clip ons. Very few gas pumps look "odd" and I have no issues viewing my iPhone screen at any angle.

You best bet for solving this issues is informing every patient that buys Polarized lenses that they may see the checker board or spots in windshields, that gas pumps may look funny, and some cell phone screens may appear darker. How they can temporally solve the "Issue" is by tilting their head to reduce the effect of the horizontal light differential filter caused by the polarized film. The more educated they are about it, the less they will either complain or wish to switch out of polarized.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Two questions lead polarized lenses to seeing distortion:

1. Curve of the polarzied lense, polarized lense not more than 800base, usually 450C-600C is ok. no this problem.
    2. the center line of the polarzied lenses should be right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you tried switching from regular fixed tinted polarized lenses to Drivewear? I have found that it allows MUCH more forgiveness in a car and all LCD screens. Because it has the transition quality with top grade polarization film it is a great for all around use. If you don't have a pair yourself, get one and you too will be a convert!
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Have you tried switching from regular fixed tinted polarized lenses to Drivewear? I have found that it allows MUCH more forgiveness in a car and all LCD screens. Because it has the transition quality with top grade polarization film it is a great for all around use. If you don't have a pair yourself, get one and you too will be a convert!
    I can agree, Drivewear is a great second option to those who have that complaint. It is much more forgiving then other polarized lenses. And the Colors throught the lenses are AWESOME. If you haven't tried them, call your lab and see see if you can get a voucher
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Pilots, to the best of my knowledge, are not supposed to wear polarized lenses, due to the unwanted visual disturbances such as off the windscreen and instrument panel.
    Polarization causes as many problems as it supposedly solves, personally I think it is way over rated.
    The real-world benefit is MAINLY that it is a cool demonstrator item and creates extra margin for the lens companies and Maui Jim.
    Meh, I'm having a quiet day and I'm miserable.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old Post but I will add some issues with my cx:
    Had polarized ( i beleive with polycarbonate lenses). His issue is when he goes golfing and needs to putt he sees this halo around the ball. I thought it may have been a glitch in manufacture

I was looking for an alternative such as Trivex ( to reduce the distortion) but I'm trying to find if it comes in Drivewear lenses. It acts like the transitions but has the features of polarized lenses. Also with Drivewear there are some cautions ie like skiing or driving on slick roads ( he may not see the reflection of the black ice).

What would you guys suggest? I like the technology of Trivex & starting to use it a bit more to see how cxs react to it from polycarbonate or plastic. However, can't see the options of polarized Trivex. I think the initial problem may have happened with polycarbonate and the halos when he as putting the golf ball.

Last note: Drives a Viper (GT-S) so I'm sure he goes on the track this thing & I'm sure he would like a some good eye clarity & glare protection

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest adding backside AR. I had a lady who complained of seeing a second image of the sun when she looked at it. I took them outside and saw it too. Only thing I could figure was it was reflecting on the backside and creating that second image. Could relate to the halo effect.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc View Post
    Old Post but I will add some issues with my cx:
    Had polarized ( i beleive with polycarbonate lenses). His issue is when he goes golfing and needs to putt he sees this halo around the ball. I thought it may have been a glitch in manufacture

I was looking for an alternative such as Trivex ( to reduce the distortion) but I'm trying to find if it comes in Drivewear lenses. It acts like the transitions but has the features of polarized lenses. Also with Drivewear there are some cautions ie like skiing or driving on slick roads ( he may not see the reflection of the black ice).

What would you guys suggest? I like the technology of Trivex & starting to use it a bit more to see how cxs react to it from polycarbonate or plastic. However, can't see the options of polarized Trivex. I think the initial problem may have happened with polycarbonate and the halos when he as putting the golf ball.

Last note: Drives a Viper (GT-S) so I'm sure he goes on the track this thing & I'm sure he would like a some good eye clarity & glare protection
    Drivewear is available in only plastic and poly. However, Nupolar is available in trivex with two color options grey or brown. It sounds like your patient may be experiencing chromatic aberration, so I think you're on the right track with trivex because of its superior optics. If your patient can go with plastic he would love Drivewear for golf. Golfers want either a green or amber lens, Driverwear has both of these colors plus copper for driving. He'll be able use DW for an early morning tee time or after work when the sun starts to go down, two situations that you can't wear polarized lenses. He'll love them for driving because he'll see reds and greens much better and will get a better visual accuity because of the stimulation of cones with the copper and amber.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Do yourself.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Ocular Dexter View Post

He'll be able use DW for an early morning tee time or after work when the sun starts to go down, two situations that you can't wear polarized lenses. He'll love them for driving because he'll see reds and greens much better and will get a better visual accuity because of the stimulation of cones with the copper and amber.
    ...........also you can get tints to do the same yourself. You can actually tint them over to look from brown to green without loosing the effect..

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    it because of quality of that lenses....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm one of those folks that doesn't like to wear polarized lenses due to the distortion it reveals in glass and difficulty reading some electronic devices. As a practitioner, I notice that a lot of older patients who are developing cataracts also don't like them because it seems to degrade their acuity. I've had to switch a number of them to just a regular tint.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Hey folks, just had a question to toss out there. We do quite a lot of rx suns in our office, and with that, a lot of polarized lenses. We've had a few people come back complaining about seeing distortion out of them recently. Generally their complaint is the standard "I see checkerboards on the back windshields of cars." which I believe has something to do with the tempered glass, but the complains have been more than just that. I had a guy come in and buy a pair of non-rx versace polarized suns, jumped back into his new BMW, then run right back in to complain that he couldn't see any of his dashboard... I've had two in the last month alone that had to be changed from polarized to just a standard tint because they were noticing that pattern on their own windshields... Unfortunately it seems like a bit of a sign of the times that the more LCD screens we encounter in the course of our day, the more issues we're going to have with polarized lenses, but my concern is that my lab also might be using a sub-standard polarized filter when making our sunglasses. I know even really good lenses like Maui Jim even have this issue, but is it possible that a lower quality polarization filter could show those patterns even more? Thoughts?
    I thought that at one time, the "display industry" has "fixed" the polar angle problem with some kind of standard. I guess that the same problem just resurrect again.

Turn the polarized sunglasses lenses by 90 degrees and I bet you can identity the problem source of this BMW dashboard. Unfortunately, opticians have no way to solve the problem unless we switch them with the tinted lenses.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is NOT the lenses. It in the glass they are looking at. They should be complaining to glass manufacturers.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been experiencing problem with crimping around edges that creates rainbow effect around frame edges when viewed from the front - this seems to be a problem of edging not of the polarization itself ... but i always make it clear that there are certain limitations to polarized lenses but most patients find that the benefits outweigh the negatives...otherwise I go tinted backside AR

Thread Information