Thread: Collectors

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Collectors

I thought it would be interesting to see what other interests we have as a group. I collect old eyeglasses and recently have given a lot of that up to collect art glass vases. I love going to the antique malls.

Anybody else?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lately we've been collecting lots of dust as the air contitioners are blasting.

I personally collect firearms and old fishing memorabilia.

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

I like to collect $50 and $100 bills, it's a slow process, but they're easy to turn in a financial pinch....

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Collecting...

I collect antique cameras, antique furniture and knives. I also collect tools which I use for my other hobbies of rebuilding engines and keeping my dirt bike in shape. Occasionally I collect flies as well especially after being outside, under a car, in the heat :)

Take care,

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev,
    I collect old basket purses, teddy bears and matchbooks.

I must also say that the joy of my life lately has been scouring e-bay for the items I love. I don't have to leave the house. I do, when it isn't a million degrees and 10 million percent humidity, go to flea markets and antique fairs!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    About ten years ago I found a very odd looking paper clip...then another...then another....I now have about 100 different shapes, colors and sizes in a box on my desk. I also collect football cards, coins and stamps. ....oh yeah....and my closet is full of old dry cleaner hangers that I have never returned.
    :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper collection

:cheers: I have a huge collection of Mickey Mantle memorabelia, over 600 different cards and over 500 original ads for products he endorsed among other items. Please feel free to send me any mantle items you dont want, occaisionally i collect some flack at work. Used to collect antique firearms and accoutrements.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I collect Silver Dollars - Morgan and Trade dollars, as well as antique cameras. Also collect old stock certificates and some old comics.

Use to collect old 78 rpm records and antique radios. Don't do those anymore but still have quite a few.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I collect old textbooks (pre and early 1900), antique tea cups & saucers, angel figures, rooster & hen figurines & art, old eyeglasses, shirts with eyeglass or sunglass artwork, wooden boxes, baskets, and ceramic figure boxes...

My husband claims I am a voracious collector of shoes and clothes ("How many pairs of shoes do you HAVE?" he asks at least once a month.) He's probably right...for my birthday I have asked for a new closet.

I also have started collecting old photographs, and plated tin photos. So far, the pictures are mostly of people who appear to be related to me, but I am now looking for similar in markets and at yard sales. I met a gentleman who makes old-timey photos for the Civil War reinacters and he dated many of my pictures for me by the style of the poses, and the backgrounds. When I have more time (ha ha) I think I'd like to study this art form.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Started in College

I collect beer steins.

I also collect accounts receivables:D

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My collecting is limited to a small precious moments figurine collection. Bill, on the other hand is amassing a large collection of old video games. He keeps telling me I'm going to have to ban him from ebay one of these days .

Suzy W

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Anything computer related, if it works all the better.....
    Also seem to do very well in ear ache and pains in the butt...
    Would love to collect £50.00 notes but as i work in optics.... :finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

E-Bay

I agree with Cindy. Although I love antique markets and flea markets, E-Bay has my vote recently. I have bought 12 art glass vases in the last 2 weeks.

My husband has over 8,000 comic books.

Bev

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I love to collect motorcycles and red wine. Too bad! I can't own both at the same time.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i collect old specs as well and have about 200. when i open my practice i plan to display them chronologicaly (?) i also collect old display material for specs and have a good few posters and show cards from 50's and 60's.
    as a side issue i also collect kitchen and house ware form the 50's 60's and 70's.

i am not obsessed with past by the way.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I collect old railroad company stock certificates, as well as old train stuff in general (I'm looking across my desk at an 1844 ticket from Syracuse to Auburn as I type).

Like JRS, I am also a numismatist.

Finally, I collect tobacco pipes (my favorite hobby, since you can actually use your collection)!
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Old train stuff

Everytime I see or hear about the old trains, I get sick!!! Fifteen years ago my father emptied his attic to sell the house and you won't believe he buried about 10 boxes full of old trains in a ditch around the house. These trains were very old and had'nt been touched in the previous 20 years. It wasn't until a few years after he sold the house I asked him which one of my siblings had gotten the trains..& thats when I found out what he had done!!!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That would be sickening (about as bad as my mom throwing my brother's old baseball cards away years ago...). I still have all my old Lionel O gauge stuff. However, it shows the wear and tear that comes with actually being played with!

Each birthday and Christmas, I'd get another few pieces of Lionel accessories (the station with the engineer that would come out as the train passed, for example). Today, I take my son to the local hobby shop and see what they are charging for this stuff and just die! Still, I try to forget about the cost and let him enjoy playing with the trains as much as I did. Its almost too bad the items have become so collectible, because it takes them out of "toy" status and moves them into "look but don't touch" status.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    My oldest son once took my roll of Kennnedy Silver Half Dollars and spent them on video games! :o

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,
    And how was he when you killed him?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve:

Now if they had been Eisenhower Dollars, or Real Silver dollars it would have been tragic, but since it was Kennedy, who cares?

Chip

Occupation
    At a value of $10 for each 50 cent piece, I cared!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Now, I imagine that was a rather interesting father-son exchange. Some would call this a "teachable" moment... I would definitely be interested in knowing exactly how you came to discover the deed and what you did to handle the situation (you know, for when my own son does something equally as bone-headed).

The closest I probably got to doing something as inane and frustrating as this was when I decided to wash my dad's car (which he was in the process of trading in) for him while he took a nap one Sunday. He was really picky about the appearance of his car (which would explain why I am today). I was about 8 years old, and I figured I would REALLY get the car clean. So, I grabbed my mom's SOS pads and gave about half the car a good scrubbing. That's when my father emerged from the house and (amazingly, rather calmly) inquired as to just what I thought I was doing.

Having listened to my grand plan to clean the car, he chamoied off a spot I had completed and demonstrated the fine scratches I had imparted. For the next couple of hours, we buffed and waxed until the paint was shiny new again- then went out for a milkshake. It is actually one of my fondest memories, because dad really "shone" (pun intended) in his ability to stay cool when he must have wanted to wring my little neck!
    :D
    So, Steve, what did YOU do to the little video game playing miscreant?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,
    Your story gave me a chuckle and reminded me of something my nephew did to my sister when he was 3 years old. My sister wouldn't even go out for the morning paper if she wasn't in full war paint. She would spend hours on her makeup to run to the 7-Eleven! Even if she was only driving there! Since she was older than me I grew up dreading the phrase "Debbi will take you to the store/mall/school, etc"!

Steven decided that mommy had worked hard all night at work and she needed help getting ready. Debbi was dead to the world and couldn't be stirred. I thought he was taking a nap! I was babysitting!

He took an El-Producto marker (the large, black, permanent kind) and put on mommy's eye make up, rouge, powder and lipstick! She looked like something out of a rocky horror picture show! I heard the screams from the bathroom and when I went up there I could only laugh hysterically!

Steven stood next to me saying, "Why's my mommy screaming?" I told him it was because Mommy had been surprised by his surprise. I then had to throw myself between the boy and his mother to make sure he saw adulthood!

I laughed at Debbi every day for the 2-3 weeks it took the marker to wear off her face, eyelids, cheeks, and lips!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information