No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Sport Sunwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maui Jim..... Best lenses and very sturdy frames. Plus cheaper than Oakley and great for those of us who cannot wear contact lenses....

Comment

drk, what do you think of the Hilco/Leader Rx Sunwear line? I've been getting some pretty major sales off these.

Comment

I just tried to speak to an Oakley rep. They won't discuss any aspect of the line (minimums, restrictions, etc) without my store actually being open first. That was a huge turn off. I'm fleshing out a budget before my store opens. I guess I can't include them in it since they won't communicate with a potential new dealer.
        -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Comment

We said NO to Oakley a few years back because they wanted 36 piece minimum of the opthalmic stuff along with the Suns we wanted (approx 40 pieces)!
          Anyone else have those requirements?
          Either way, it's good product but we do way more Maui Jim than anything else. Plano MJ sales are usually 1 a day.

Hilco Leader Rx is a great line too around 1/2 the cost of MJ

Comment

I have to agree with a couple people who asked why not Costa, since you would be the only dealer in the area. Everybody does Oakley, and MJ. They are great products as well, but why not differentiate yourself????? Costa has established a pretty solid Rx program over the last year. Solid frames, and incredible lenses!!! I am the only Rx dealer in my area, by a few hundred miles, and have had people come from a couple hundred miles to order them. I Love doing something different than everybody else. Have you tried (held, worn, looked through, etc., etc.)and compared side by side any of the products you are consdering? Food for thought. Good luck in your decision.

Comment

Kaenon is worth a look as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Canty View Post
                Kaenon is worth a look as well.
                I've done a couple of them, the problem I've run into however, is the minimum lens blank size (although this probably won't be a problem for plastic lenses).

Comment

Well I will say that if you're going to bring in the hilco/leader stuff let's talk about the Liberty suns. Better quality and they have they have their own lab...Have you looked at them?

Christina

Comment

Originally posted by Java99 View Post
                    If I could only have one, Maui. Good rxes, fast turnaround, great Plano warranty and customer service on the Plano end directly to th customers too. I know I can stand behind it.
                    I dont understand why you consider direct to customer service from MJ a PLUS!?!?!?

Its a huge minus for me. If we sell it we will service it! Warranty or no warranty!

Comment

Originally posted by LENNY View Post
                      I dont understand why you consider direct to customer service from MJ a PLUS!?!?!?

Its a huge minus for me. If we sell it we will service it! Warranty or no warranty!
                      It builds good brand reputation before they even hit my front door, if they've owned a pair before or know someone who has.

Comment

Originally posted by fvc2020 View Post
                        Well I will say that if you're going to bring in the hilco/leader stuff let's talk about the Liberty suns. Better quality and they have they have their own lab...Have you looked at them?

Christina
                        Perhaps, but when Liberty started selling to Walmart so Walmart could sell frames to the public cheaper than I can buy them from Liberty direct AND with Liberty now competing with its customers through its own internal lab, you have to ask yourself WHY?

Comment

I carry Maui Jim, Costa and Zeal by Maui Jim.

Of the 3 Maui Jim and Zeal are the best in my eyes. Turn around and quality is top notch. The best part of all is when you order RX it looks identical to Plano.

Costa Del Mar is a BIG name here too, and everyone wants their RX in them. The only down side is power ranges and looks. The mirror is not exactly the same, and forget doing anything over a +/-2 it looks like crap. I've had more issues with Costa's RX program coming back and actually NOT being functional, bad fitting, or even not looking good. And price is another big issue for most, they are expensive, and it saves the patient nothing to use their own frame. I prefer Costa as Plano, it's the safest way to work with them.

I've had Nike, but got rid of them because half of their frames are non RX able and the frames that everyone wants to put their RX in is those. Plus the frames tend to get out of whack VERY easily once a beveled lens is in them.

Good luck, I hope you can get the frames you need to be successful.
                          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
                          ~ Mark Twain ~

Comment

I agree with Java on the MJ reputation. I have been selling them for years with the tag-line: they are just as famous for their customer service as they are their polarized lenses.

As far as Liberty goes, I don't think I'll be looking at them. I'd rather do Wiley X before I considered Liberty. The only thing I'd use Liberty for would be child rec specs.
                            -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyocook View Post
                              I agree with Java on the MJ reputation. I have been selling them for years with the tag-line: they are just as famous for their customer service as they are their polarized lenses.

As far as Liberty goes, I don't think I'll be looking at them. I'd rather do Wiley X before I considered Liberty. The only thing I'd use Liberty for would be child rec specs.
                              Pick your poison: Become a showroom for WM (Liberty and/or Wiley X) , or for Costco (MJ).

Since when did we become limited to only three vendors?

Here's a challenge to any sunglass vendors out there (excepting the three mentioned). Show us/tell us how you stack up agains the more popular sun companies, and what your booth number at VEW is, and we will bring you accounts. What an awesome opportunity to show the optical world that you are plugged into their needs/wants, as well as being able to pre-market your product before the show even opens.
                              Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

We have been doing very well with Nike here. The Show X2 is doing particularly well adjustable temples and bridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X