Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: had this conversation with some co-workers last night ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

had this conversation with some co-workers last night ...

so the big question. we were arguing about whether or not smartphones were a necessity, or a luxery. i think they're a perk. i don't own one, i won't own one until that is all they make, and i can't justify paying an extra $XX for it. i would rather be able to afford margaritas. Just curious as to what other people thought.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    *luxury ... oops!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    so the big question. we were arguing about whether or not smartphones were a necessity, or a luxery. i think they're a perk.
    For some they might be, but not for others. I just returned from 18 hour drive (R/T), and was able to make more than 50 phone calls, check/answer my e-mail, send/receive texts, schedule appointments, check stock prices, and then some... For me, it is a necessity, and allows me to be more efficient than I could be without it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think any mobile phone is a necessity. But I sure love my smart phone, I would never go back to a regular cell phone.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    For some they might be, but not for others. I just returned from 18 hour drive (R/T), and was able to make more than 50 phone calls, check/answer my e-mail, send/receive texts, schedule appointments, check stock prices, and then some... For me, it is a necessity, and allows me to be more efficient than I could be without it.
    That explains the 18 hour trip......most of the time was spent on the side of the road,......right? Psssst.....it's getting to be illegal to text/surf and drive in a lot of jurisdictions in N.A.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @becc971: It would seem that the trend is to eventually evolve the device into a "smart phone". But, is a device that can(besides making a phone call):

1) take a picture.
    2) take a video(hi-def) eventually 3-D
    3) surf the net
    4) act as a GPS unit
    5) record, and broadcast sound(behave as a reporter's vid camera)
    6) with introduced apps calculate edge thicknesses for Barry, and profit and loss statements for Johns.
    .................really be called a "Phone" anymore?
    Eyes wide open

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    That explains the 18 hour trip......most of the time was spent on the side of the road,......right? Psssst.....it's getting to be illegal to text/surf and drive in a lot of jurisdictions in N.A.
    Actually...no. I WAS texting, talking, and checking my e-mail while I was driving. Most times, I was also drinking water, taking notes, and dialing my other phone (I have 2). The only time I pulled over was when I actually had to type something; that is, when the voice recognition didn't know the word(s) I was trying to say, or when I knew my reply was going to be especially long winded, and I needed to proof it.

I did pull over occasionally, but the majority of the time, I just drove. Oh, yes, that may have been breaking a law or two, but I was going the speed limit (as I was loaded down w/a lot of weight), unlike the other motorists flying by me doing at least 20 mph over the limit. If I hadn't been doing so much work, I too would have been speeding my tail off, and probably could have made it in 16 hours, as I have in the past.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we all know none of us text/call/email and drive ... come on now

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @uncut ... that is the only reason i'd really consider one is to cut down on my electronic devices ... it is sort of a pain to plug in phone, gps, kindle, and mp3 player for a long trip!! i feel like 24/7 access to facebook could be detrimental to my career, and why see my friends when i can just stalk them on the interwebs??

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dick Tracy to Go Go Gomez--- Come in Go Go...

I don't have memorized my Tracphone number. I buy a year long 100 minute contract for a hundred dollars and with a little effort get it ramped up to 400 minutes a year. Got about 1600 minutes on it currently.

Friends get a kick out of the Motorola flip phone and can't believe I turn it on and off only when I use it.

I liked NBC's Brian Williams response to tweating when he called it "a giant time suck". I'm not on social sites as well for that reason and my wife has come to regret joining Facebook a year ago as she now really wants to unfriend some yackers who don't realize she doesn't care about kitty's latest too cute picture if you know what I mean.

We moved recently and are in the middle of a 2 year bundled Comcast contract. Next year will be interesting to see if a smartphone contract will allow us to cut the cord and get all our communication needs through it as well as TV. Actually I think we can already do that but I need it to be dumbed down for this self admitted Luddite. Or I could always adopt a teenager but I hear they can cost more than advertised and there's no guarantee on the return on investment. .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    we all know none of us text/call/email and drive ... come on now
    I don't. That is one of my real pet peeves, and if my old flip phone rings, I pull over. I don't ever text, if I need to say something to you, I can call. Not really sure why I need to see my email when I am driving....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not important enough for my smartphone to be a neccessity but my husband, who owns his own business is. He needs to be able to see proofs of ads, check his emails, and be accessible on the go.

Mine is completely a luxury which I enjoy thoughly. I like my Waze app that is one of the best navigation set-ups ever (it speaks to you like a garmin), I use several fitness apps to monitor my fitness and nutrition, I also like my postagram app which allows me to take pictures with my phone and send them as a postcard via snail mail (fun way to remember to write on a vacation). And there is always the bit of trivia that needs to be addressed via google so as not to disturb our marital harmony. ;)

It stays in my purse while I'm on the road. Charlotte is full of crazy drivers so I need to focus on my defensive driving skills and not be distracted by a text or phone call. I keep my phone on silent all the time so it doesn't ring obnoxiously. This drives my husband nuts because it typically means I'll miss his calls until I get around to checking my phone! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My smart phone and my Bluetooth earpiece are necessities, because y'all don't care what I'm doing when you call. You just want answers now. =)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Friends get a kick out of the Motorola flip phone and can't believe I turn it on and off only when I use it.
    My "other" phone is an LG flip. It's even got an antenna! I carry it when I am in the horseback riding, in the woods, or doing anything else where I know I won't need a portable computer. Plus, having a flip phone makes you the hit of any party!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns it sad to hear that you were doing all of that behind the weel of a automobile for 18 hours. It really sounds like you were bragging? Seems you were proud of your blatent disregard of others you were sharing the road with. I truely hope that it was not on the same road as one of our loved ones or yours for that matter. And god forbid you were near me while I was out on my motorcycle. My word sir have you no care for yourself or anyone else on the road. When you are driving it is not all about you and what you need to accomplish today. It is all about you and the ones you share the road with. EVERYTHING ELSE CAN WAIT. You can be assured that should someone ever run into me or one of my family or loved ones and causes great damage or injury the first thing my attorney and I will be sequestraing will be cell phone records. I do beleive accidents do happen, but when you are intentionally doing what you know you should NOT be doing and showing such great neglect for the others you share the road with, then you sir should have to pay the piper.

All of the above stated IMHO as some of you like to say.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Johns it sad to hear that you were doing all of that behind the weel of a automobile for 18 hours. It really sounds like you were bragging? Seems you were proud of your blatent disregard of others you were sharing the road with.
    No, not bragging...just not lying. How many people SAY that they NEVER text, talk on the phone, eat, apply make-up, drink coffee, pick their nose, or do ANYTHING except keep two hands on the wheel, and stare straight ahead? Not me.

You know what? I agree with you. If you are reading and typing texts, you should not be on the road. I see people on the way to work doing it everyday. I do neither. I use voice recognition (that often causes me embarrassment, as I never proof them), and read them only when pulled over.

When I travel, I carry a cooler full of water and iced tea. It is not unusual for me to drink 16oz of water every hour. Trust me, I pull over A LOT. I don't want to get DVTs, so I walk, I stretch, use the facilities, read/answer texts, and wash my windows and mirrors. (I'm weird like that). Since May 30th, I've driven more than 13,000 miles. The only near accident I've had was in Colorado, when a tarp blew off a trailer, and landed on my windshield. Ironically, I was on the phone at the time, and one of my office manager got to hear the whole experience.

Many people are hurt and killed each year by inattention by drivers. I think it should be mandatory that everyone re-take the driver's test annually, because many drivers have no business being on the road. I also think the driving age should be 18 years old, but that's another conversation.

So, now I would like you to tell me that you have NEVER talked on the phone, drank coffee, or eaten anything while you were driving.

Oh, BTW, did I mention that I keep my cooler on the roof of my car, and sometimes I climb out on the roof, while the car is moving, and jump back in right before the car is about to veer into the other lane? Don't worry, I slow down to 55mph when I do that.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I live about a mile from the Oregon Vortex and do not have cell reception at my house so a cell phone, smart or not, has little value to me as I am no longer encumbered by the work process. I do have one of the danged things but it resides in the car and is probably used once a week.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a smart phone yet, but I can do all that with my car and voice recognition. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, not bragging...just not lying.
    And not caring about the others on the road with you.

Enough said about this subject from me. Im off my stump. Statistics speak for me. If there was no issue then there would not be attention given to the subject.

Best of luck to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband and I moved up to smartphones yesterday. I am most excited about Words With Friends (my current addiction), but I'm sure I'll use the maps, kindle app, and the usual eBay and Amazon sites.
    Plus it will be nice just to look up stuff when I think of it, etc.
    Definately a luxury for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had a smart phone now for at least 3 years, because when my husband is out to sea, I want to be able to get his emails right away. Also, sometimes the only way we can talk is by chat on facebook.

That being said, I do use my phone for: camera, book, bank, email, black book notebook, and much much more. I conciderate it far better to buy one thing than forty others.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Enough said about this subject from me. Im off my stump. Statistics speak for me. If there was no issue then there would not be attention given to the subject.
    At the risk of beating this cold horse...I really was curious; Havae you ever talked on a cell phone while driving?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    (grin!) Wow! I'm a relative 'newbie' on this forum.....been an Optician for uh, well, in the industry 34 years, licensed for 29! I thought that we'd have...oh, I don't know, a greater level of 'maturity' on here than what I see on Facebook. Lol, turns out I guess we are just the optical 'micro-cosm' of the world!

I think it's very dangerous for anybody to jump to conclusions about another's behavior, based upon the little information that is often shared on social forums. We get a tiny 'click' of the words shared....often not the full picture. And then 'assume' we 'know' everything about how another operates. I know I don't want to be judged that way, so I try to make sure I don't do it to others.

Yes, I have a 'smart phone' (I've been an Apple devotee for close to ten years, ever since I realized I was smarter on computers that way!!! Lol!), I'm certain I don't use it to it's maximum, and often wonder if I'm wasting money every month. I honestly don't want to be THAT tied in to too many people, but figure all I have to do is not answer....lol, like NCspecs! And it does have some ways in which it offers a lot of savings, via apps, directions, information, pictures, video, etc. I love only having one item.

Lastly, yes Johns.....I HAVE spoken on my phone while driving. I will still do it now, but only in rare occasions, to let the person know I'll call them back when I can get off. I, like almost everybody I know, used to do it more often, before it became such a hazard. I think it is the mindless devotion to the device, as if the connections it offers us are our lifeline, that has caused too many a problem. Lol, I jokingly have told my kids (but somewhat serious) that I was going to put a basket in the foyer, so when they come to visit, they can drop those phones in there and pick them up on the way out! Otherwise, why did they come????
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to OB Cool! I don't have a smart phone. That being said, my husband, who I do ALL THINGS electronic for, thinks that if he gets a smart phone, he will start using his own e-mail, bank transfers, etc!!!!!LOL LOL I will still have to do it for him. Now I am not that electronicly inclinded, just a little more than he, so I say so go till our existing phones break. As it is, we have a plan with 700 shared minutes and maybe at the most use 200 of them. I just can't justify it for our use. I see other people use them for everything, bt that's just not us.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CoolOptician, this whole discussion with my friend was brought up within a political argument i was having with my friend too, but i left that part out because then we'd get really heated :) and nothing is solved with internet violence!

Thread Information