Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PD's and medical professionals

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think that's a good development, Chris.

If they're going to be "do it themselves opticians" they'd better learn the tricks of the trade.

So now we have, again, my rejoinder of choice when people ask me for their p.d.: "Oh, you're going to 'do-it-yourself' on the internet? Well, that's against our state laws and we can't participate. Sorry."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    No Mike, no! I did not mean "you"! Again, I meant an offender, not you. Please don't take that the wrong way, bro.
    No worries...perhaps say the "other you" next time?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had a pt. come in and ordered glasses with me.
    We were talking about on-line ordering. I told her that especially for progressives, I just don't see a winning result, but I did give her her binocular PD, wished her luck, but asked if she did go through with it, please do not come back for me to check the rx, measurements, fit ,etc. She thought that was fair enough.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about making up a small Rx pad/Post-It note type thing, with the Prentice equation printed on it, and a small line for the Bi-PD on the bottom. Then you can ask the patient to figure out their own decentration, and of course to measure and quantify their amount of induced prism on their own when their net glasses come in.

Simple.

But, of course, there will be a cost to your office to have such a pad printed - to give out the information needed to assure a patient's glasses are perfect can be viewed as a courtesy. But those printing costs must be recovered. That will be $25 bucks please. Thanks for stopping in today!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    How about making up a small Rx pad/Post-It note type thing, with the Prentice equation printed on it, and a small line for the Bi-PD on the bottom. Then you can ask the patient to figure out their own decentration, and of course to measure and quantify their amount of induced prism on their own when their net glasses come in.

Simple.

But, of course, there will be a cost to your office to have such a pad printed - to give out the information needed to assure a patient's glasses are perfect can be viewed as a courtesy. But those printing costs must be recovered. That will be $25 bucks please. Thanks for stopping in today!
    Pleasure to see that so many people are so enthusiastic about enhancing the already poor reputation of opticians. I think I'll just start telling patients who come for nosepad replacements to go fornicate themselves. Cuts down on the pretense.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Pleasure to see that so many people are so enthusiastic about enhancing the already poor reputation of opticians. I think I'll just start telling patients who come for nosepad replacements to go fornicate themselves. Cuts down on the pretense.

Well, if it will make you feel better, you can give away your services for free so that you wont appear greedy....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I care that it reflects poorly on the profession of opticianry as a whole-- a profession that already has a reputation for rudeness, brusqueness, arrogance, and, perhaps most (and worst) of all, avarice.

Too bad you have such a low opinion of your colleagues....Sounds like you treat your job like a hobby....I prefer to be paid for my services rendered....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Here we go...............................this thread has started to go into its last leg................the insults are starting to fly

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I usually include PD information on RX, for they've paid that service. I think it's ok, once they bought craps online, they will firmly keep the mind of buying from us. Comparation makes us better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent idea! But make sure you include a post it note with a diagram of how to safely do it. Liability and all!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    During a recent CE presentation, someone pointed out that approxiately 75% of all human irises lie between 11 and 12mm in diameter. It was also discussed that the full, diametric range seen lied between 10.5mm and 13mm. Taking 11.5mm as as a reasonable average size, then why wouldn't an uploaded photo, even without a reference scale such as a ruler, credit card or the like, be useful in obtaining at least a useful approximation of PD using the iris as a scale reference?

With a maximum binocular deviation of 1.5mm, who here wouldn't use such accuracy for fabricating SV eyewear?

Further discussion.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ME!

A flat 2 dimension image does not give a true topographic apex of cornea result, nor a monocular measurement based on the midpoint of the frame fit on the cranium/nasal bone and cartilage,

A slight error also is compounded by subsequent errors, and tolerances.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uncut:
    I fully agree with the layered compounding effects. But to single out and perhaps over-emphasize PD accuracy/precision as the high - profile contributing component is misplaced, real-world weighting of its actual effect on the whole of eyewear satisfaction...especially in the realm of online delivered eyewear.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is truly only one component for building satisfactory, or even utilitarian eyewear.

I would assume as professionals that we would encourage all ECP to do better, to improve, to innovate, not revert, or encourage the general public to settle for the "Sears catalogue" method.
    The method of measure, and the accuracy of..............I initially made light of, when I joined OB.... See "101 Uses for a PD Ruler..".

Fighting mediocrity all the way...............

uncut
    Eyes wide open

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    During a recent CE presentation, someone pointed out that approxiately 75% of all human irises lie between 11 and 12mm in diameter. It was also discussed that the full, diametric range seen lied between 10.5mm and 13mm. Taking 11.5mm as as a reasonable average size, then why wouldn't an uploaded photo, even without a reference scale such as a ruler, credit card or the like, be useful in obtaining at least a useful approximation of PD using the iris as a scale reference?

With a maximum binocular deviation of 1.5mm, who here wouldn't use such accuracy for fabricating SV eyewear?

Further discussion.

B
    Additionally, without a scale reference (even using your pupil diameter as a "scale"), there is no way of knowing if the photo had been 'shopped, adjusted, or increased/decreased in size.

Maybe a picture with a mm ruler propped on the nose "might" work, but there's no way on God's Green Earth that I'd accept it.

Occupation

Further discussion.

B
    Consider pixel depth, if the 11.5 mm iris is equated to pixels to scale the PD then you are going to lose a little accuracy there as well. I am curious which CE you heard this in. I sat in a CE last year where the presenter took the image of a nirvana cover of a baby swimming after a dollar bill and used the known dimensions of the dollar to figure the PD. It was interesting, and we talked about the effects of not having th ereference on the measureing plane and the effects. The reality is that PD's don't make anyone a medical professional and the fact that people with hold them shows that opticians are not medical professionals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good points, PhiTrace. Perhaps my estimation of 1.5mm total deviation is too optimistic. Certainly a 2.5-3mm deviation is well within the range of possible, and puts "most" Rxs within ANSI tolerance for Horizontal prism.

B

Occupation
    Good points, PhiTrace. Perhaps my estimation of 1.5mm total deviation is too optimistic. Certainly a 2.5-3mm deviation is well within the range of possible, and puts "most" Rxs within ANSI tolerance for Horizontal prism.

B
    I might run the numbers to see what is within the realm of reality. With the proliferation of camera phones and the ability to access that hardware with custom apps I would definately agree that the majority of simple scripts can be fabricated adequately. I have been using the photoshop ruler tool.for years. Photoshop even allows you to set a pixel to mm ratio which means you can take PDs direct from images with no mathmatical manipulations required. In off I use a hemingway frame with riveted temples, since I know the distance between the rivets I always have a scale. The problem is getting the image square on to avoid skew which will make the PD greater that real life. I want to get my hands on one of those visi office clips that goes on the frame, thats were the real magic is in their overpriced computer.

Thread Information