Thread: Friends Friends Friends

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Friends Friends Friends

This is the only forum I'm on. Do any of you contribute to any other forums? Which? Topics?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

There are 11 forums dealing with optics

There are 11 forums dealing with optics as far as I know, you can find them listed under Indexing Optical Forum Websites
    at : http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

..............and no, I am not participating in any other forum, lack of time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Badger and Blade
    Glock Talk
    The High Road
    The Firing Line
    Blades and Bushcraft

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    USACarry, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum and FN forum (FN Herstal).
    Last edited by mdeimler; 08-10-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to contribute to a scrapbooking website but the forums became pretty dull. Just a lot of housewives complaining back and forth.

I like Livejournal but I rarely get to contribute unfortunately.

This is the only other forum I can stomach, I know who the trolls are and I like the scientific discussions amongst my peers. Even when I can't contribute I love to read the threads.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum

Me too!

I don't participate much, but I just sold a gun on there Wednesday and am picking one up from there tomorrow!

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    dresden.forumotion.com

It's a play-by-post rpg website based on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher that I'm currently setting up with my best friend, and will hopefully be starting play sometime in the next week or so. So that will probably be a massive time sink.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    opticianshandbook

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Home Theater Forum
    Heroclix Realms
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also a member of the firing line but haven't been on in a while. Not to highjack your thread but I did notice a HUGE difference in the way people treat "newbs". I asked several questions that a quick search could have answered but I wanted the most up to date opinions and was never treated like an idiot. I was also a member of a Jiu Jitsu forum when I was training and the sense of cummunity and support there was awesome! (I realize these are both forums for hobbies and not for a professional forum but the point remains valid)
    Last edited by Sledzinator; 08-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I am also a member of the firing line but haven't been on in a while. Not to highjack your thread but I did notice a HUGE difference in the way people treat "newbs". I asked several questions that a quick search could have answered but I wanted the most up to date opinions and was never treated like an idiot.

Yeah, our fatal flaw. Some people are more interested in rubbing your nose in their optical pedigrees than actually giving a straightforward answer.

I will say this about the search option here. The threads are dated and so you can pretty much bet that one from six months ago still holds water. Or, in my case, I had a question about a SightStar from Luzerne. I did a search and found out that Judy Canty mentioned the lens a lot. So instead of started a NEW thread, I sent her a PM and we ended up having a nice conversation on the phone and I got the answer I needed. Sometimes critial thinking skills go a long way and not using these skills might be what sparks the ire of the seasoned Optiboarder.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :)
    Last edited by NCspecs; 08-21-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clarify
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree on the use of the search function fwiw but my point is it's simply easier to not respond instead of going out of your way to tell the person to use the search function and be rude about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I agree on the use of the search function fwiw but my point is it's simply easier to not respond instead of going out of your way to tell the person to use the search function and be rude about it.
    I wouldn't get your feelings hurt. Trolls is trolls. Single out who likes to get chippy and take them with a grain of salt. If a lot of users tend to agree that a subject could have been researched better then that's when I would start to consider your approach. :)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I like the www.theoptom.com forum, the people there are funny and they don't get all kinds of sensitive about the littlest thing. I try not to post here much on purpose, when I was newer I was meet with a few long time posters who were less than polite but they expected me to be polite. I don't have time for that, I was actually kicked off for a few days for asking why I was reprimanded and never did get a response, just came back one day and my username was working again. The forum seems to be getting a little better so I like to poke in every now and again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like reading different points of view on things. As long as a thread keeps on topic I welcome all comments. That being said..thanks to all of you who contibute. I will check out some theses other forums that I might be interested in.

Thread Information