Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition lenses and football

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Transition lenses and football

This morning I was berated by a patient for not knowing that her child was not supposed to wear transition lenses in his football rec specs. She informed me that "pretty much everyone in the United States" does not allow transition lenses for use in football so it would be easier to see if an injured player has a concussion.

If this is a widespread rule, I admit that I am ignorant of it. Up until now, I have always encouraged transitions for use in any rec specs that could be used in outdoor sports. I called Liberty optical and three of my local labs and none of them heard of this "widespread rule" (as the patient said).

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if I am in fact ill advised on this issue I would like to correct myself and have the supporting literature so I don't make the same mistake again.

Thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elona View Post
    This morning I was berated by a patient for not knowing that her child was not supposed to wear transition lenses in his football rec specs. She informed me that "pretty much everyone in the United States" does not allow transition lenses for use in football so it would be easier to see if an injured player has a concussion.

If this is a widespread rule, I admit that I am ignorant of it. Up until now, I have always encouraged transitions for use in any rec specs that could be used in outdoor sports. I called Liberty optical and three of my local labs and none of them heard of this "widespread rule" (as the patient said).

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if I am in fact ill advised on this issue I would like to correct myself and have the supporting literature so I don't make the same mistake again.

Thank you!
    Never heard of it and I've been around a long time. As a matter of fact, the statement regarding "so it would be easier to see if an injured player has a concussion" wouldn't even make sense since the observer should be taking the glasses off the player anyway. However, since I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, check directly with Transitions. :)
    Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Diane and I've been around a long time too.

Welcome to Optiboard!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simply not true. NFL players even wear dark sunglasses in place of the clear visor.
    In the event of a concussion, yes the specs/helmet would be removed.
    In event of a spinal injury, where they prefer to not move the injured, they have tools to remove the lenses/visors.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simple response is "show me the rule". Sometimes these people just make it up as they go along. We ran into a similar situation with our son at a Tae Kwon Do competition where the refs wouldn't let him wear his Rx protective eyewear giving his opponent a very unfair advantage. Ben was so angry, he kicked the crap out of the guy and won anyway. Later on, we found that there was no "rule".

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This is the first I ever heard of a ban on Transitions or any other photochromic rec specs type of sports safety goggle. I contacted AYF, the largest national youth football organization and asked their policy on safety eyewear and also checking with youth coaches that work here in our Florida location.

Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Google NFHS rules for high school football. They specifically ban tinted visors but allow tinted eyewear worn under the mask.

http://www.sfoa.us/2011%20NFHS%20Rul...ase%20Book.pdf

*1.5.3 COMMENT: What are some examples of illegal and legal uniform adorn- ments? There are many items that would be considered to be illegal uniform adornments. Examples include but are not limited to: 1) Play cards designed for the wrist, but strapped to the belt; 2) Eye shade as detailed in 1-5-3c(3) or that extends outside the eye socket or below the cheek bone; 3) Bandanas and other items if exposed from under the football helmet; and 4) Bicep bands and other sweat bands not placed properly. Examples of items that have been determined to be legal are 1) Spats that properly cover the shoes as intended by the manu- facturer; 2) Skull caps manufactured to be worn on the head that do not alter the fit of the football helmet and are not exposed outside of the football helmet; 3) Tinted eyewear worn on the face and under the face mask.
    RT

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    not illegal.

played for 12 years and have coached for the 12 years since. totally legal. if there was a question about a concussion for a HS player they would remove the facemask and cut the glasses off anyway (if they couldnt be removed normally).

sounds like the same law requiring kids are in poly.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I encountered a similar "ban" on photochromic lenses in industrial safety eyewear. Some companies also banned metal safety frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been using Transition in sports glasses for years with no problems. I've even had coach's ask for it.
    I came, I saw, I left

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    This is the first I ever heard of a ban on Transitions or any other photochromic rec specs type of sports safety goggle. I contacted AYF, the largest national youth football organization and asked their policy on safety eyewear and also checking with youth coaches that work here in our Florida location.

Jim
    Are you still waiting for the answer? This is an interesting topic.

OP, did you replace the lenses to clear as C-Sat?
    Sincerely,David

Phone:866.923.5600
    Fax: 1.866.923.5601

http://national-lens.com/

https://national-lens.com/catalog/index.html

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by national lens View Post
    Are you still waiting for the answer? This is an interesting topic.

OP, did you replace the lenses to clear as C-Sat?
    Thank you so much for your help! I'm printing out a copy of the rule manual to show the doctor as I'm not too thrilled to have a patient imply that I'm negligent in my job.

I will be remaking the rec specs since the pt's mom brought this up as I was calling her to let her know that the glasses were done. Its just frustrating since the first order was a "hot rush" and processed as such, if we had been less diligent about ordering I might not have to do a remake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have a safety account that doesn't allow it unless the employee works outside ... the other safety account their manager has transitions and loves them so lets the employees order them ... you know, weirdos all around but i've never heard of it being any rule in school sports, and isn't it mom's job to research what is and isn't allowed per that school's athletic program?? patients are crazeeeee ... i had a mom call me when i worked at a summer camp and tell me that i was endangering her child because i couldnt walk around with him all day to make sure he kept his water shoes on because his feet are very sensitive.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember years ago being told it was an OSHA issue with transitions (easily could have been an excuse)... then a few years later that it had been changed. i dont do safety anymore, but a couple years ago, most of our safety jobs had them. the requirements were usually set by the safety rep for the company we were making them for though.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOptical View Post
    i dont do safety anymore, but a couple years ago, most of our safety jobs had them. the requirements were usually set by the safety rep for the company we were making them for though.
    He who pays the bill makes the rules.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    ANSI Z87.1 - 2010 Annex J.9 specifically deals with photochromic lenses in safety protectors. Depending upon the results of a complete hazard assessment, photochromic lenses may be used for some situations. Photochromics should be used with care for safety protectors.
    RT

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I encountered a similar "ban" on photochromic lenses in industrial safety eyewear. Some companies also banned metal safety frames.
    For many years, our local power company did not allow its linemen to wear metal frames. And come to think of it, I haven't seen any of them wearing metal frames, just zyl.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    For many years, our local power company did not allow its linemen to wear metal frames. And come to think of it, I haven't seen any of them wearing metal frames, just zyl.
    @ Mike; my father was a lineman for an electric company. They didn't allow their guys to wear metal frames either. They were pretty strict about any exposed metal, but especially anything not secured, like glasses.
    @ the OP, crazy people make up crazy stuff to avoid responsibility for their errors all the time. Sounds like you got one of them.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Electrical hazards are specifically mentioned in ANSI Z87.1 as part of the hazard assessment when choosing the proper type of protector.
    RT

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    On photochromic safety eyewear..
    Transitions Optical, Inc. historical position on use of Transitions lenses for safety lens mirrored those of the parent company PPG Industries, in that the state and local jurisdictions safety requirements must be met, the local safety manager must approve and the eyewear is used in passive industrial settings. Transitions Optical Inc. does not promote Transitions Lenses as a blanket universal safety lens; the local authority (Safety Manager or Safety Engineer) must make sure the lens photochromic performance is safe to wear in that locations environment and the particular required work task.

I have not heard back from the AYF as of this morning and the in house coaches are on vacation.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    In spite of all the rules and regulations from ANSI, OSHA, product manufacturers and Industrial Hygenists and plant safety engineers the ultimate arbitor in what is or is not allowed rests squarely in the hands of the employers liability insurance carrier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In spite of all the rules and regulations from ANSI, OSHA, product manufacturers and Industrial Hygenists and plant safety engineers the ultimate arbitor in what is or is not allowed rests squarely in the hands of the employers liability insurance carrier.
    That's pretty much the long and short of it!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Perhaps, but how many times have you seen a liability insurance carrier actually get involved with that segment of plant safety? I've done a fair number of consultations for x-ray and laser safety, and not once have I seen a liability insurance company involved.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Never heard about suck a rule

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Perhaps, but how many times have you seen a liability insurance carrier actually get involved with that segment of plant safety? I've done a fair number of consultations for x-ray and laser safety, and not once have I seen a liability insurance company involved.
    For a number of years we had four vision vans on the road in New England and provided on site PPE to over 500 accounts. I can assure you that the workmans compensation inspectors were as thick as fleas on a hound dog. I believe that an annual visit was the norm and some companies with high claims had loss prevention people visiting randomly three or four times a year.

Since it is usually the workmans compensation carriers that take the biggest financial hit when there is an industrial accident they have the greatest incentive to provide a safe workplace.

Thread Information