Thread: What's That Smell?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's That Smell?

My store is in the midst of renovating a new location where we will be adding a lab. I have been working in labs for years but I have never been asked for my opinion on this- The optometrist would like to ensure that smells from lens finishing not distract or deter customers, so I have been asked to offer advice on how to prevent this... any thoughts? My first thoughts are to include a HEPA filtration system with 1 or 2 intakes positioned in the lab and this would also improve air quality overall. Thanks in advance for the help!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    First of all you need collection hoods over the fume emitting sources as bevel edger and tinting units. Blow the air outside if possible. Hepa system is then only needed if you can not do that.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    As Chris said...but I'll expand on that a bit.

I'm also a glassworker and we deal quite a bit with heat AND fumes/vapors from working with molten glass. I've written several articles on ventilation that you can find here: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

The ventilation primer has 3 parts, the first an overview of local ventilation; the 2nd, an overview of the math required to "do it yourself"; and 3rd, some sample hood designs.

Basically, you need a fresh air source (called makeup air) to replace the exhausted air.
    Next, you need a hood to collect the fumes and a fan and ducting system to blow them outside.

Ducting is usually best when done through a side wall -- roofs are incredibly expensive to duct through.

A properly designed and installed system will result in zero fume odors in the store.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Man, I thought this was a thread about Lynyrd Skynyrd!!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LMAO @ Skynyrd

Is there a good pre-fab hood set up or a good quality hood company you can recommend?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    AirMax filtration unit from AIT has been very successful in eliminating those pesky smells...http://www.aitindustries.com/cscart/...on-system.html
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NJEyeGuy View Post
    LMAO @ Skynyrd

Is there a good pre-fab hood set up or a good quality hood company you can recommend?
    The biggest problem with pre-fabs is that they are hideously expensive to ship, you are paying for cubage instead of weight. I've always recommended that you contact a local HVAC company and ask them to build a hood for you.

I'd stay away from the "hood-less" aka "duct only" type of venting systems. These systems collect only fumes in a direct line with the duct and are not designed to pull fumes from a wide area.

Typically speaking, you want a hood that's going to cover the source of the fumes and about 6 additional inches all the way around. You are also going to want it mounted directly over the unit, with low enough that it captures the fumes, but high enough that the operator can work under the hood. For example, a dye tank on a bench, you are going to want to have the hood no higher than about 3 feet above the tank. Any higher than that and you risk having fumes waft into the general work area, or you are going to have to go with more than 125 CFM per square foot of hood area in order to pull the fumes up into the hood, which will then require more fresh air intake.

I'm also not a fan (heh...pun intended) of recycling air that's filtered through an activated-carbon filter. The whole point is to get the fumes out of the room. Exhaust them outside. You will pay approximately the same amount of money for an exhaust system as you will for a recycler, and you will have much fresher air. Recyclers only remove so much in the way of smells, and then they get over powered. Additionally, the activated carbon filters do "wear out" and have to be replaced, so your on-going expenses are going to be much higher with a recycling system instead of an exhaust system.
    Last edited by MikeAurelius; 08-10-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional thoughts...

Thread Information