Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...and I'm here to sell YOU a pair of glasses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile ...and I'm here to sell YOU a pair of glasses!

options upseller , options informer or options recommender.. which are you? I like to let people know everything that is available and then recommend ONLY the ones that definately cater to the needs that they have mentioned to me in conversation. (regardless of ticket amount)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I fall between informer and reccomender... I'll inform them of various features available, but only reccomend what I think will best suit their lifestyle/budget. Several of our patients are low-income and/or have lousy plans that don't cover much, and cost is frequently an issue. The biggest challenge is trying to educate individuals about the benefits of AR when they've either never had it, or only have experience with bargain-basement stuff that peels/chips away on the lenses. In the case of the never-worns I always reccomend our lowest level so that they can experience the benefits of it, with the option to upgrade when they come back for a visit the next year. Trying to get someone who's never experienced something to drop three digits on a high-end, super-duper version of it (especially when that individual is on a budget or just cautious about big-spending and fearful of gimmicks) is a surefire recipe for that patient walking out wthout AR coating (and potentially with a negative view of the office's sales ethics).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I give a quote with "the whole enchilada" of what I would recommend for a pt. with all the better products. It's always easier to downscale than to upsell. I say shoot for the moon!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Completely agree.............
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    I give a quote with "the whole enchilada" of what I would recommend for a pt. with all the better products. It's always easier to downscale than to upsell. I say shoot for the moon!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I'm here to help you select and advise you on new glasses." Sounds a lot more like what an Optician's job and function should be. We are not pushing shoes.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    "I'm here to help you select and advise you on new glasses." Sounds a lot more like what an Optician's job and function should be. We are not pushing shoes.

Chip
    Agreed. My wife was a saleswoman for a high-end retail outlet in college; she was trained in the whole "quote them high then whittle them down" technique. It's a sales method designed to increase profits. While selling and profit are certainly components of the profession, they must intersect with what is right for the patient; not too little, but also not too much. I'm too familiar with the "technique" of playing on patient's fears, doubts, and insecurities to send them out the door with a whopping package of stuff they don't need.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Agreed. My wife was a saleswoman for a high-end retail outlet in college; she was trained in the whole "quote them high then whittle them down" technique. It's a sales method designed to increase profits. While selling and profit are certainly components of the profession, they must intersect with what is right for the patient; not too little, but also not too much. I'm too familiar with the "technique" of playing on patient's fears, doubts, and insecurities to send them out the door with a whopping package of stuff they don't need.
    I have always said I am a reluctant salesperson. I recommend different "enchilada's" depending on customer needs. If a pt. wants a progressive, or a/r for example I don't offer what I wouldn't want for myself. Call me crazy but I believe in what I offer to people. With that said, we are in the real world and everyone who needs can't afford so I do the best I can with everyone.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Chip

I have always said I am a reluctant salesperson. I recommend different "enchilada's" depending on customer needs. If a pt. wants a progressive, or a/r for example I don't offer what I wouldn't want for myself. Call me crazy but I believe in what I offer to people. With that said, we are in the real world and everyone who needs can't afford so I do the best I can with everyone.

I discuss budget, lifestyle, uses, and various options that suit the aforementioned. I make recommendations on what I would want for myself or my family as if the patient was me or my family, and based on the patients needs and my knowledge of the product and ophthalmic optics. If you keep the patients needs and your reputation as your top priorities, you can't go wrong. I have, on rare ocassion, advised a patient to go elsewhere because of the limitations of the environment I part time in.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've arrived at a point where I tell clients that the price difference between "sos/ok" lenses and the "truly excellent"...the same lenses they'll be using everyday day for the next 2-3 years, is about the same as they spend on their cable or phone bill...in one month!

Simple. Math. Value.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1!!!!!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm an educator.

Shooting for the moon can sometimes result in shooting yourself in the foot.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will tell the benifits of the frames and lens options. Make sure the patient is happy with their purchase.
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never assume you know a customer's budget. Always PROFESSIONALLY assess what wil benefit your patient, recommend the options, and let the patient tell you if there is a budget issue. Would you not kick yourself if you failed to recommend AR coating, pre-judging a patient's wallet, and see them in two years wearing AR they got from another optician?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 to all!! The more we can educate and recommend, the happier our patients are. The happier our patients are the more they recommend us!
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OPTICAL SUPERSTARS= Client seeing great . Client looking great. Client feels like they got it all for a comfortable price.

Occupation
    I am a seller! My focus is making people look great and feel great, seeing through the lenses is an added benefit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    I am a seller! My focus is making people look great and feel great, seeing through the lenses is an added benefit.
    I'm sure that ALL your conquests see just fine. Right?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    QUESTION Can you make someone look great and feel great at a comfortable price for them or do you have to "persuade"? Oh yeah and help them see better too.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    QUESTION Can you make someone look great and feel great at a comfortable price for them or do you have to "persuade"? Oh yeah and help them see better too.
    Define comfortable price and you'll have your answer. I chose not to persuade anyone, I make the assumption they deserve the best, if they feel otherwise I'm listening and willing to make changes.

It's funny you might walk away re-evaluating the way you underestimate your clients, or you might continue to think that your clients dollars are better left in their pockets while their eye's suffer. (actual appendages of their body that will be with them for life) You sound better qualified to be their financial advisor.
    Last edited by MakeOptics; 08-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sell "Myself"!

After that, everything else is the olive in a martini!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question: Does "the best" translate the newest most expensive or the lens that they will see the best out of?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 Does best mean branded frames only or are ANY good looking quality sub $40 frames?

Occupation
    Question: Does "the best" translate the newest most expensive or the lens that they will see the best out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    +1 Does best mean branded frames only or are ANY good looking quality sub $40 frames?
    I currently wear a levi's frame, a lucky brand frame, an IC Berlin, and a valentino. I span the money gap in frames but they all look great on me, so they are the best.

When I wear the valentino's I hear opticians ask why I am supporting Luxottica.
    When I wear the IC Berlin I hear other opticians say you must work in a flu flu boutique optical.
    When I wear the Levi's I hear opticians say you guys must carry some low end stuff.
    When I wear the Lucky Brand I hear people say ..............

My point is who cares what I define as best, wear it like a peacock. It's all about confidence anyway, that's why I sell and not recommend. Recommending means I don't value my own opinion enough. Selling means I can be held accountable.

Thread Information