Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online sales

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Kent,

In New Hampshire the RX is good for 2 years and we are not allowed to read the old pair and duplicate.
    Is that by state law, or by regulation of the state board of optometry?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think a lot of the passion that people have expressed here in regards to Rx expiration dates really says a lot about how seriously we take our job. It's frustrating when online retail flouts all of our ethics and safeguards- we end up cleaning up the mess at the end of the day more often than not. I think all of us can look back to a time where we had a legitimate concern about a patient and we ended up saving a life or someone's vision. It's trite and short-sighted to say that it's a money game. I think we can all agree we aren't in optical for the big bucks. I totally agree that holding an rx hostage for spectacles can ridiculous- there is always a special case. However, I know I want to give my patients the best fit every time I dispense eyewear and having up-to-date information is part of my criteria.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Kent,

Is that by state law, or by regulation of the state board of optometry?
    Owners policy imo. NH is an unlicensed state.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I think a lot of the passion that people have expressed here in regards to Rx expiration dates really says a lot about how seriously we take our job. It's frustrating when online retail flouts all of our ethics and safeguards- we end up cleaning up the mess at the end of the day more often than not. I think all of us can look back to a time where we had a legitimate concern about a patient and we ended up saving a life or someone's vision. It's trite and short-sighted to say that it's a money game. I think we can all agree we aren't in optical for the big bucks. I totally agree that holding an rx hostage for spectacles can ridiculous- there is always a special case. However, I know I want to give my patients the best fit every time I dispense eyewear and having up-to-date information is part of my criteria.
    Much of the passion in this thread seems to be in favor of flounting at least one of those "safeguards," though-- one which forms a core pillar around which online optical is built (the other, obviously, being price; a topic for another thread). I see very little support here for RX expiration dates.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    maybe we should create an optiboard poll of whether or not we think there should be expirations on RX's ... really get the "war" started

p.s. i'm for them!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Much of the passion in this thread seems to be in favor of flounting at least one of those "safeguards," though-- one which forms a core pillar around which online optical is built (the other, obviously, being price; a topic for another thread). I see very little support here for RX expiration dates.
    Flouting?? I don't see that. What I see is a discussion regarding the validity of a phony balony "expiration date" on a medical device that has absolutely nothing to do with when the individual patient needs a new prescription. Now, if the expiration date on the scrip was individualized per patient instead of a default 1/2 years, then you might make a case for flouting.

Thread Information