Thread: Brand compulsion

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Brand compulsion

What are some of the brand named frames that clients buy from you mainly because of the name on it?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anything they buy at an upper end clothing or accessory shop qualifies if the "designer" has the same name. Even if the designer knows nothing about anything other than dresses or perfume, it's a must have!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, Most people are Shocked that frames have designer and non designer names on them.

One guy pointed to some frames and said "I thought they only made camping gear, now they are making glasses too, what's next?"

Some women are more perceptive to the name brand aspect in my shop, and will constantly say "They must be expensive because of the name on it." and then I have to burt their bubble and prove them wrong, lol.

So all in all, YES designer names do sell better then non designer names because it's a known name they trust.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd say it's less about trust, and more about familiarity and resonance.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vera Bradley seems to have a "cult following" right now. I remember Kate Spade did about two years ago.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd how people "trust" designer or well known names (which has no relevance to the product). Just think perhaps we should be selling: "Hines", "Frenches" "Helman's" "Lea and Perins" as these names have been "trusted" forever in certian products.

People actually believe that a well known brand (at least those that have the concept that Vera Bradley doesn't acually "make" frames) that a designer wouldn't allow thier name to be put on a less than excellent product. But then that's what severly injured if not nearly killed Polo.

Goodyear makes good tires but I wouldn't buy one if they made a motorcycle.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Vera Bradley seems to have a "cult following" right now. I remember Kate Spade did about two years ago.
    Both are HUGE in my shop, and it's the first thing every woman from 12-85 goes to because they know it's name
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back when I worked at the LC, Versace, Prada and Dolce and Gabana were the top three names asked for in the 18 to 45 year old crowd. Where I am now, very few people ask for brands of anything.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Oakley seems to have an obsessive, almost cult-ish following in our area. Two or three times a month, someone will come in asking if we carry them; without exception, they leave when we tell them that we do not. This is the only brand that people have asked for in our store that's proven to be a dealbreaker (ie, if someone comes in asking for x brand and we don't have it, they'll be disappointed but still browse. Oakley folks up and leave). I was aware of the fascination with them around our parts before I became an optician-- their devotees will routinely refer to their sunglasses as "Oakleys" instead of simply "sunglasses"-- but the degree to which they're dedicated to the brand was lost on me before I actually began work in the field.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 On Oakley. I don't live in a big town and seems everyone is either wearing half jackets or gascans. I was happy to find out that dillards carries them so I just send them there (We almost bought in good thing we didnt)

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We make an effort not to carry any brand names. Our clientele doesn't buy them.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chanel ....chanel....chanel ppl will see the sign and come into our office without knowing we sell eyeglasses lol. They saw the chanel p.o.p. came in and usually buy a sunglass. Its amazing the amount of non RX that this name brand sells for our office. Plus the added foot traffic is crazy! so many new patients generated this way....Oh just fyi, almost exclusively females.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Oakley seems to have an obsessive, almost cult-ish following in our area. Two or three times a month, someone will come in asking if we carry them; without exception, they leave when we tell them that we do not. This is the only brand that people have asked for in our store that's proven to be a dealbreaker (ie, if someone comes in asking for x brand and we don't have it, they'll be disappointed but still browse. Oakley folks up and leave). I was aware of the fascination with them around our parts before I became an optician-- their devotees will routinely refer to their sunglasses as "Oakleys" instead of simply "sunglasses"-- but the degree to which they're dedicated to the brand was lost on me before I actually began work in the field.
    i HAVE 6 PAIRS OF oAKLEY otd rX SUNGLASSES AND 3 PAIRS OF rEG rx.

They are amongst my favorites.

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have 3 pairs of Oakleys myself, all gifts. My current Rx sunglasses are in a Square Whisker. I do not understand the fanboi cult following they have. IMHO they are $1.88 in materials and the rest in advertising, marketing and merchandising.

BTW: Flame on Oakley fanbois

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper "Do you want a designer frame, or something better ?"............................

There was a time when the manufacturers name defined the quality and pricing as it is still in the watch industry. Rolex is still one, or the top brand for over a 100 years, and no designer has been able to pass them over.

Watches are a mechanical wonderpieces and so should be glasses. All the designer names in glasses are available on line at different prices and opticians should get out of it and create high quality brands to differentiate. "Do you want a designer frame, or something better ?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There was a time when the manufacturers name defined the quality and pricing as it is still in the watch industry. Rolex is still one, or the top brand for over a 100 years, and no designer has been able to pass them over.

Watches are a mechanical wonderpieces and so should be glasses. All the designer names in glasses are available on line at different prices and opticians should get out of it and create high quality brands to differentiate. "Do you want a designer frame, or something better ?"
    In our woods the answer will be yes give me Versace and Prada!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kate Spade. But I like Kate Spade. I never get returns due to quality issues. That's what is important to me. I have the occasional Label Zombie but then we have the brand licensing "talk" and they either walk out the door with both arms stuck out in front of them, blindly stumbling towards the mall, or they stick around and I fit them in something cute and hip but blessedly devoid of free advertising. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    We make an effort not to carry any brand names. Our clientele doesn't buy them.
    Interesting... Do you carry high dollar non-branded (ie OGI, prodesign ,etc) or just middle to lower dollar lines?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a lot of people ask for Oakley and Ray-Ban. Coach sold from the name very strongly when we had it. Juicy Couture and Kate Spade sell from the name somewhat. But mostly we sell what we're excited about.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Kate Spade sells well, but not especially well, and it certainly hasn't drawn in any brand-zombies. I'm actually fairly impressed with their zyl frames, and female patients across age and social demographics love them.

Thread Information