Thread: Any suggestions

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any suggestions

I am going to start pounding the pavement looking for a new job. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. i live in the Kansas city area north of the river. I would also like to know of places to avoid. I know of at least two placing hire but I know I don't want to work at either one.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A new job...as in a new career, or just a different location?

My son (15 yr old) painted houses this summer with 2 of his cousins, and made $4,320.00 in 6 weeks. (He put in long hours) His cousins (19 & 21 yr olds) made more than $7k each. They own the company, but only operate it as they are both college students (business). Ironically, they both hate to paint, and this is motivating them to finish their education.

Now I KNOW I'm in the wrong business.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    May the fortunes of job search rain down upon you, and your answering machine jam up with interview calls!! Good luck, Miz!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Send a PM to BobV and ask him, he is in the area

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/member.php/48-BobV

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I am going to start pounding the pavement looking for a new job. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. i live in the Kansas city area north of the river. I would also like to know of places to avoid. I know of at least two placing hire but I know I don't want to work at either one.
    Without getting too specific, are you currently in private practice, or with a chain? Are you looking for a similar type of environment, or looking for a total change?

I looked at two practices that were for sale in that area 3 years ago, and at the time, the economy seemed relatively strong, but I had heard that Hallmark, Ford, and Sprint had made cuts that were starting to have a negative affect. In anticipation of buying one, or both of the practices, I placed an ad in the local paper for opticians, and the response was very strong (I received more than 50 e-mails, and 28 (qualified)resumes.) Most of the applicants had jobs, but were looking to make a change like you.

Maybe 2 part-time jobs that you enjoy (even if optical) might be better than one you don't like. Or, advertise yourself out as a fill-in only. I had someone stop in and leave a card advertising that, but both times that I called him to see if he could fill in, he was already working. His business must be good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to try private practice. I work for a chain now and working weekends, nights and holidays are starting to get old.I have advantages to working at a chain and I don't want to give them all up.401k, vacation, and health insurance. I do feel I might make more in private practice. I have heard horror stories about some local places though and I want to make sure I don't end up working in a place like that.

It pains me to say this but if I found a good job outside of optical I would most likely take it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It pains me to say this but if I found a good job outside of optical I would most likely take it.
    That's what I was alluding to in my first post. Optical is NOT the end all be all! Just keep your credentials up so you can get back in, if you need to. If you take a job outside the field, optical will always be here if it doesn't work out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nothing wrong with that!

I hope you find what you are searching for!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    That's what I was alluding to in my first post. Optical is NOT the end all be all! Just keep your credentials up so you can get back in, if you need to. If you take a job outside the field, optical will always be here if it doesn't work out.
    How true is that! I joke around a lot that while people might change positions, take vacations, etc.. those who have been in optical for at least 5 years will always get drawn back in :P

Twice now I left the industry, and ended up back. This last time, I had a job I loved.. but I still got sucked back in!

Many of your skills with working with the public, dealing with insurance, administrative will apply to other fields as well.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to keep my job and work part time. I even talked to my manager about working at a lab but she said that would be working for the competition . I disagree but not my call to make I guess.I don't want to give up three weeks vacation.

Thread Information