Thread: Single Vision Hi Index Aspherics

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Single Vision Hi Index Aspherics

I am writing an article on SV Hi Index lenses. When do you recommend 1. 54, poly, 1.6, 1.66, 1.67, 1.71 and above? Do you go by rx, previous experience, etc? When using hi index single vision 1.6 and above are you using AR coatings? What is your favorite brand and why?:)

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the high index aspherics, surfaced, for plus powers, using poly for children, and prefer stock poly over 1.54 index minus(its lighter, and thinner most of the time), 166-167 for minus over 4 diopters as its even thinner and cosmetically sweet, and 1.7 for extreme myopes , also it depends on what the pt wants to spend/or get for their money, good or better. The A/R should be on any lens if at all possible to help with the clarity of vision, as well as the cosmetics of the lens(specs). Material is also dependant on availability in photochromics as well.IMHO

Thumbs up

We recommend the new 1.67 hi index with crizal coating lens by Essilor. This is a premium product and sell it on most plus rx's and of course hi minus rx's. Even on lower powers, the lens is so thin and weighs nothing. The scratch resistance of the Crizal makes it even better and more durable. Otherwise, we will use the Airwear with crizal (poly) or the 1.60 hi index. Of course ar coating is recommended for appearance and more glare you get off an aspheric lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ryan

I would think that there is more reflection due to the index of refraction than from asphericity. Could you explain why there is more reflection off an aspheric lens?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    For first time Hi-Index wearers I usually recommend something in the 1.6 range. This is usually enough to enable marginal hyperopes recognize the the optical benefits of an aspheric lens design. For myopes, I found that being too aggressive with high index for the first time causes a little discomfort.

Folks already wearing high index and are happy with it, I will duplicate the material and index if I previously made them and have record of the order. If it has been a while since they purchased eyewear, I will also inform them of the higher index availability since their last purchase.

Although light is refracted faster through high index the inherent density of the material contributes to much more reflected light not absorbed by the lens material. Therefore, I always will recommend AR to improve optical performance and aesthetics.

I've found Zeiss AR to give the most bang for the buck with good turnaround time and a no hastle warranty policy. Not to bash essilor but Crizal has not stood behind their so called "RX lifetime" warranty policy on more than a few occasions of lenses which I returned for credit.

Kevin

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The higher the better

Hi Bev...Anyone who comes in with an Rx over + or - 2.75 or so is told of higher index and aspheric lenses. My Rx is an -2.75 plus a bit of cyl and I have worn 1.50, 1.53, 1.60 and the whopping 1.71 by Hoya (all premium A-R)

The key for me is fitting them on center vertically as well as horozontally. The ultimate decision ($) is up to them.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you order the Nikon Performance Package, the index of refraction is optimized for you to provide your patient with the best looking lenses possible.

Just curious if anyone out there is ordering NPP, and what you think about the supplying lab optimizing indices for the dispensing Optician.

PS- Since I'm only still a few weeks out of the retail ophthalmic field, I'll toss in that I was in the practice of recommending polycarbonate for everyone from +2.00 to -4.00, Spectralite (or Ormex) for hyperopes over +2.00, and 1.67 for myopes over -4.00.

PPS- Since you began your hi-index list at 1.54, does that mean you don't consider Trivex to be a hi-index material at 1.53, Bev (possibly since it is basically the same index as standard crown glass)? Just curious...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,

I beleive Trivex and Spectralite are 1.537 or there abouts. I just rounded up. Yes, I am including them in all hi index aspherics along with ABBE. I last thought crown was 1.523 so therefore rounding off takes it to 1.53 but really is closer to 1.52. Long day at the office you see.

May be you can't say but I can....Essilor's press release today includes the new Single Vision Thin & Lite 1.67 with hard coat power range is +8 to -13.00 up to a 4 cyl, It is aspheric and says to be available for shipment August 1.

I have used the Nikon PP. My understanding is this is coat to coat technology done only in Essilor's Texas facility. Has this changed?

I like the Optima 1.66 AR and Zeiss 1.67 AR stock. Have served me well for a long time. I usually recommend at a 4D.

Hope all is well.
    :D
    Last edited by Bev Heishman; 07-23-2002 at 06:42 PM.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have used the Nikon PP. My understanding is this is coat to coat technology done only in Essilor's Texas facility. Has this changed?
    You are correct, NPP is currently produced only at Avisia in Dallas, TX.

One of the "interesting" things about the Nikon CR process is the "cushion coating" they add to the CR material to allow it to be ground to a 1.5mm CT. This allows you to thin regular plastic lenses by about 3/4 of a mm.

As usual, you are also correct concerning the relative indices of Trivex and Crown Glass (although the two major manufacturers of lenses using Trivex report slightly different Abbe values last I checked, anyone know what's up with that?). It should be no secret by now that I'm underwhelmed with Trivex (and was so before I came to work with a manufacturer that has chosen not to work with the material). At 1.537 and 1.523, I'd call them about even.

I don't think Hoya or Younger are promoting Trivex as even a "mid-index" material, but I could be wrong.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information