Thread: Need some greener grass

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need some greener grass

I have decided to get away from Walmart. I am tired of always working nights weekends and holidays. I want to be able to advance but I am finding it very hard to do so. I think the best I can do is become a manager. Is the grass any greener on the other side? Do you have a set schedule? Closed holidays? Work a lot of weekends? It seems I cannot get away from working the 11-8 shift. I work through family functions. Last night when I got home my daughter was already sleeping. She woke up and I had to rock her. If she hadn't woken up I would not have gotten to see her.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, I understand completely. Do keep in mind that management positions may require you to be away from home for days, or even weeks. The economic conditions of the world are causing corps to pressure employees, especially management, to work extraordinarily long days, hours, and in situations unheard of a decade ago. Tread carefully.

Perhaps alert management to your need, with a new, young family, to diversify/rotate your shift slightly.

I feel that they might comply, in today's climate. It wouldn't hurt to ask!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I went into private practice, I did have a more regular schedule. Only 1-2 late nights per week, with late being 7pm. The trade off was that it was harder to get off for school trips/functions, and doctor appointments working "banking hours."

Now in the wholesale arena..working management in a lab, I spend more time at the lab than I do at home. I originally thought it would be just a few weeks while I sorted out all the mess that the prior person created.. however they left a much bigger mess than anyone knew. Monday I was there from 7am to 2:15am...

Granted... I have only been there 6 weeks..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I worked at lenscrafters when I was certified ABO and NCLE and I thought it was bad. Now after working for 4 years as a licensed DO in a private practice I have been treated in such a unprofessional manner its unreal. I have been looking for another job for three years btw but things are slim pickins. Here are some examples of my private practice experiences:

I have had my pay docked TWICE in four years (1st time was $2/hour, 2nd was $4 and less than 30days of receiving a raise!) this is no fault of mine. The owners/doctors can't pay their bills so we suffer. They are actually writing bad checks to patients and holding large refunds for weeks! The doctors have sexually harassed employees, physically and verbally. Benefits continue to decline. Doctors treat patients very poorly, they systematically get rid of long term patients (10+ years) because their insurance no longer reimburses us as much. Hours are 7am-6pm M-F and 8-12pm Sat. You can only take vacations when doctors have their vacations scheduled. Just a general lack of respect and appreciation. Oh yeah, the "CEO" told the employees: "Would you rather us get postage (to mail RX's to elderly patients) or get a paycheck!"

So be careful the private practice puts you at risk of being treated HOWEVER THE OWNERS/DOCTORS FEEL LIKE TREATING YOU. There are none of the HR safety nets to fall back on and none of the policies (that I used to think were restrictive) in a private practice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    When I went into private practice, I did have a more regular schedule. Only 1-2 late nights per week, with late being 7pm. The trade off was that it was harder to get off for school trips/functions, and doctor appointments working "banking hours."

Now in the wholesale arena..working management in a lab, I spend more time at the lab than I do at home. I originally thought it would be just a few weeks while I sorted out all the mess that the prior person created.. however they left a much bigger mess than anyone knew. Monday I was there from 7am to 2:15am...

Granted... I have only been there 6 weeks..
    Congratulations on your new position. Once you get a handle on the issues......rest, please. Smell some roses, not the high index.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by phxldo View Post
    Well, I worked at lenscrafters when I was certified ABO and NCLE and I thought it was bad. Now after working for 4 years as a licensed DO in a private practice I have been treated in such a unprofessional manner its unreal. I have been looking for another job for three years btw but things are slim pickins. Here are some examples of my private practice experiences:

I have had my pay docked TWICE in four years (1st time was $2/hour, 2nd was $4 and less than 30days of receiving a raise!) this is no fault of mine. The owners/doctors can't pay their bills so we suffer. They are actually writing bad checks to patients and holding large refunds for weeks! The doctors have sexually harassed employees, physically and verbally. Benefits continue to decline. Doctors treat patients very poorly, they systematically get rid of long term patients (10+ years) because their insurance no longer reimburses us as much. Hours are 7am-6pm M-F and 8-12pm Sat. You can only take vacations when doctors have their vacations scheduled. Just a general lack of respect and appreciation. Oh yeah, the "CEO" told the employees: "Would you rather us get postage (to mail RX's to elderly patients) or get a paycheck!"

So be careful the private practice puts you at risk of being treated HOWEVER THE OWNERS/DOCTORS FEEL LIKE TREATING YOU. There are none of the HR safety nets to fall back on and none of the policies (that I used to think were restrictive) in a private practice.
    Sounds like the horse you're hitched up to is going to bolt back to the barn. Better unhitch the wagon from that one, and take a calmer one from the pasture, for this trip to town.
    Eyes wide open

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I have decided to get away from Walmart. I am tired of always working nights weekends and holidays. I want to be able to advance but I am finding it very hard to do so. I think the best I can do is become a manager. Is the grass any greener on the other side? Do you have a set schedule? Closed holidays? Work a lot of weekends? It seems I cannot get away from working the 11-8 shift. I work through family functions. Last night when I got home my daughter was already sleeping. She woke up and I had to rock her. If she hadn't woken up I would not have gotten to see her.
    I agree. I'd worked in Wal-mart couple yrs back. It was crazy that you'd to work on all weekends! I worked as a tech and i remember staying late till abt 7 or 8p since the OD was really slow and pt's were overloaded. Opticians are being over worked too. Over all, i liked my supervisor and some of my co-workers. Now, i work in a hospital setting, where it's either 8-5p wk or 8.30-5.30p wk (which is closing, since we close at 5.30p). I think the latest i ever stayed was till 6.30p.. which is not bad. And the atmosphere is more calm instead of being too crazy abt sales. If u work in a hospital setting, it would be much better i think.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After I left LC (after 7 years of bootcamp,lol), I swore off anyplace with a lab behind my back.
    After I left retail and worked for a private OD, I swore off ever working retail again.
    After I left the OD and now work in an MD office, I swore off OD's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    having my own place was the best. Unfortunately, so many states now make you jump through too many hoops

Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    After I left LC (after 7 years of bootcamp,lol), I swore off anyplace with a lab behind my back.
    After I left retail and worked for a private OD, I swore off ever working retail again.
    After I left the OD and now work in an MD office, I swore off OD's.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for a private optometrist group in a fairly upscale area. No nights and no weekends and everyone gets one day they work 7 to 1 and get the rest of the afternoon off. The doctors are great and treat the staff well. They offer health insurance for full time employees plus paid vacations, sick, and holiday pay.

There are good places to work, don't be scared of leaving Walmart.

Thread Information