Thread: Out of Netowrk Insurance

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Out of Netowrk Insurance

Hello all.

As an optician, I'm not allowed to take most major insurances. Are there any tips or tricks to filing for out of network reimbursement you guys could reccomend?

Thanks!
    Last edited by johnnyocook; 07-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are out-of-network, then I think the patient would be required to pay you in full and submit your receipt along with any form their insurance company requires. The insurance company would then reimburse the patient. The forms are usually straight forward, just have to fill in the blanks with the prices...each insurance is different though.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just like NowISee said. Otherwise you gonna be fooling with the insurance company forever and still probably won't get paid.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it will go a long ways if you help them with the paperwork or submit it for them, that way they'll be okay with paying you in full and have a system of support for the ever complicated insurance billing process ... we do that for patients sometimes at our office when we don't take their eyemed or post cataract surgery and as long as you offer to do whatever you can for them, they're usually pretty amenable just don't guarantee them a certain amount of cash money, make sure they realize the reimbursement amount is up to the insurance company and if they don't like what they got to fight it out with them ... but in a nicer way haha
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    it will go a long ways if you help them with the paperwork or submit it for them, that way they'll be okay with paying you in full and have a system of support for the ever complicated insurance billing process ... we do that for patients sometimes at our office when we don't take their eyemed or post cataract surgery and as long as you offer to do whatever you can for them, they're usually pretty amenable just don't guarantee them a certain amount of cash money, make sure they realize the reimbursement amount is up to the insurance company and if they don't like what they got to fight it out with them ... but in a nicer way haha
    also, if you know what their "copays" would normally be, say poly is $40 etc, make sure you show itemized that they payed $40 for a poly upgrade, or progressive upgrade, or what have you. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Apprentice Optical Options's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a Ohio Optician owned practice with out a eye doctor on premises. Eye med sent a letter of rejection to my practice due to it not being full service yet
    another optician owned practice with out a eye doctor on premises is on the Eye med network 2 miles from me. Not that I believe eyemed or lux is God but everything helps. Does any one have any advice?
    Have a stress free day
    A.A.S., LDO, ABOC, NCLE

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Trick I learned working at one of the big chains.......

Have a $50 off coupon that can't be combined with insurance benefits.

But you will fill out the reimbursement forms (that they bring in) for them so they are a double winner.

Harry

Thread Information