Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions with opening an Optical Shop without a doctor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rent and utilities would seem to be a huge expense for a no doctor start up.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Whether or not you have a doctor is irrelevant in terms of the rent. It's a fixed cost and you have to pay it whether you have a doc or not.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. Save money. 2. Location (share space and costs if you can i.e.... A hearing aid center. 3. No doctor is needed if your location has enough traffic. Study surrounding eye centers that have several OMD and you will notice that most likely there is no strip center nearby for competition ...buut maybe not. If you have a huge eye center nearby study the driving patterns that patients will have to follow to visit the center. A huge eye center is a big nut in salaries...but you on the other hand can adapt as to expenses and remeber the golden rule People like to save!!! People like quality and people like a good personality. If you do not have a good sales personality then you ight as well close the doors. Trust is key when you open a store.

CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, Inventory was the killer my first year in.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Actually, Inventory was the killer my first year in.
    Same here. By far the biggest expense, more so than the finish lab.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. All great and helpful thoughts to consider. Everything is adding up very quickly, which is why I'm trying to figure out what I need and how much of them I should have for start-up. This is my big challenge right now is to consider the size and amount of everything to minimize start-up cost and still start-up a shop that I have in mind.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck! Keeping overhead low low low seems to be the prudent thing to do. Also I have read on another site that It does'nt hurt to have a second source of income other than the start up (either you or spouse).Also to not go into debt if you can avoid it. But the one thing I see over and over again is a steady dependable source of RX's. Most if not all opticians (including this one) would love to be independent but let's face it we have to be tethered to sources of RX's we cannot make our product without it! I have read that a a great deal of effort should be directed toward achieving a steady flow of referrals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck! Keeping overhead low low low seems to be the prudent thing to do. Also I have read on another site that It does'nt hurt to have a second source of income other than the start up (either you or spouse).Also to not go into debt if you can avoid it. But the one thing I see over and over again is a steady dependable source of RX's. Most if not all opticians (including this one) would love to be independent but let's face it we have to be tethered to sources of RX's we cannot make our product without it! I have read that a a great deal of effort should be directed toward achieving a steady flow of referrals.
    If you offer a reason for someone to shop with you, I don't think you have to be tethered to a referral source. Of course it helps, but just like any other business, I think you can survive if you put value in the marketplace. It's all in how you approach it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your offer has to get to them to change their current buying habits. Isn't that expensive advertising and marketing? Although I suppose if one were to sell very expensive eyewear it wouldn't take too pairs stay afloat I suppose. Perhaps that's the only viable CURRENT start up model. What do you think guys and gals? Java99 you are an inspiration for the rest of us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your offer has to get to them to change their current buying habits. Isn't that expensive advertising and marketing? Although I suppose if one were to sell very expensive eyewear it wouldn't take too pairs stay afloat I suppose. Perhaps that's the only viable CURRENT start up model. What do you think guys and gals? Java99 you are an inspiration for the rest of us.
    Think about the capture rate at your office, any OD or MD office that dispenses. If it's 100% I will eat my shoe. Those folks who are already leaving don't need to change their buying habits to shop with me. Bottom line, they are leaving, and they're going somewhere, might as well be to me :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "the ones that get away" usually go straight to "big box" low prices ( because they shop there for other things too) or the chains whose tv,newspaper,radio and internet ads they have already seen or heard at least a dozen times before they came in for their appointment. You have discovered a way to start up and stay afloat in such dangerous waters. that is no small accomplishment! Fascinating!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LSUpaul20 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. All great and helpful thoughts to consider. Everything is adding up very quickly, which is why I'm trying to figure out what I need and how much of them I should have for start-up. This is my big challenge right now is to consider the size and amount of everything to minimize start-up cost and still start-up a shop that I have in mind.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks
    Please do keep us posted! We are all wishing you success! You can post your victories on my other thread "independent success?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "the ones that get away" usually go straight to "big box" low prices ( because they shop there for other things too) or the chains whose tv,newspaper,radio and internet ads they have already seen or heard at least a dozen times before they came in for their appointment. You have discovered a way to start up and stay afloat in such dangerous waters. that is no small accomplishment! Fascinating!
    There is no big box in my town, and the only two chains we have here are discount and don't stock what I stock. So that makes it easier.

I'm only 6 months in, don't listen to anything I say yet!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good post, I'm definitely bookmarking this one. Thanks for the link to score.org too.

I've been thinking about doing my own place for a while and was wondering some of the same things. Do any of you non-OD offices have any special business plans other than being a small private office? I've had the pipe dream of offering "insurance prices for the non-insured" and using that as a marketing scheme to bring in patients. We all know many of the insurance plans are just discount plans that we don't even submit to the insurance companies, why not advertise the ability to make those prices available to everybody and bring in more cash patients?!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    "insurance prices for the non-insured" - That's an interesting concept.

I am using SCORE basic business plans format right now. If anybody has a special business plan for non-OD offices, I would like to know too.

Quote Originally Posted by oopsmyeye View Post
    Good post, I'm definitely bookmarking this one. Thanks for the link to score.org too.

I've been thinking about doing my own place for a while and was wondering some of the same things. Do any of you non-OD offices have any special business plans other than being a small private office? I've had the pipe dream of offering "insurance prices for the non-insured" and using that as a marketing scheme to bring in patients. We all know many of the insurance plans are just discount plans that we don't even submit to the insurance companies, why not advertise the ability to make those prices available to everybody and bring in more cash patients?!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most if not all opticians (including this one) would love to be independent but let's face it we have to be tethered to sources of RX's we cannot make our product without it! I have read that a a great deal of effort should be directed toward achieving a steady flow of referrals.
    What does "independent" mean? It means calling your own shots, and not having to rely on outside sources. Having an OD in my office allow me to be independent, and many of the MDs in the area refer to me because my OD refers the pathology pts. to them! I hate this cliche' but I'm going to use it anyway - It's definitely a win-win.

Just because you have one, does not mean you can't have the other. Just like advertising. Just because you get great results from radio, does not mean you should avoid print...use them all and get as much of the market as possible.

Speaking of markets...an OD on site is a marketing machine in and of themselves in that they will be listed on many of the panels that will send patients DIRECTLY to you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know if you want another story or not, but I'll chime in...
    I'm an indy w/o a doctor on site. Been here for 5 years now, and all is well! I started out with a HUGE loan, and had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have done that...but, it is what it is...I'm almost done with the HUGE loan, and I'm actually counting down to the day that I write that last check! I would highly recommend having a doctor nearby that can refer patients to you. Let's face it, the RX's have to come in, otherwise we can't even start building a clientele. I do have a doc in town w/o a dispensary and he refers people to me, as does the local Walmart (they know I have things they don't, so they send them my way and vice versa), there is also a doctor w/ a dispensary that sends a few people my way because there is a particular insurance that they don't accept for glasses, but I do...they send them here, probably because they know that I can't "steal" them since I don't have a doc here. LOL!

I would also recommend having a second income as well....helps if the house and car are paid for each month....hard to get to work if your living in your car and it gets repo'ed! Also, if you can find an insurance or two that will allow indy opticians, I would look into those...if nothing else the money I get reimbursed from them pays my phone bill.

You'll have to be the judge of advertising in your area..I tried it when I first opened, D-U-M-B...put an ad in the paper over and over, nada. The best advertising for me has been via our town's Revitalization organization, I pay $150 a year and they send out my email "blurb" every week to over 2300 people. The other thing that has worked has been advertising my business along with my picture on the local upper-end grocery shopping carts. The email blurb, brings in paying customers; the shopping cart, is more for recognition than anything, it's never brought anyone in to buy, but I get people that stop me and say, 'hey, I was shopping with you the other day!'

I have considered trying to find a doc, however I have not put forth a lot of effort to find one, I have my reservations for a multitude of reasons. Do I think a doc on site would help money-wise? Yes, BUT, the doc and I would have to gel in this type of environment, otherwise it's a waste of time and money for everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which insurances will allow a non-OD dispensary on their providers list?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Superior Vision, our state's medicaid and United Health Care Vision are the only ones I have found. Medicaid and Superior are the best in my opinion, United Health is OK, but not my absolute favorite.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oopsmyeye View Post
    Which insurances will allow a non-OD dispensary on their providers list?
    Eyemed DID, but now we are hearing they are not optician friendly.

NVA does
    Optum does
    BC/BS does
    Advantica does
    Medicaid does
    Medical Mutual does...

(some of these might vary by state, so don't bet the store on it.) At my main office, we take 17 different types of insurance. (I'm an optician)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question about the requirements to open optical shop without a Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I opened my own shop, no doc, in February. I am doing great so far, about to have to hire someone. I am surrounded by MDs who do not dispense, and in a high growth area, and I am doing things very, very differently than the other opticals near me.

The right formula is very different from one area to the next. If I were you, I would do a projected cash flow for the next five years and see if you still think this is a good idea. Maybe it will be, maybe not, but you have to get from here to there. Can you financially shoulder the risk? Can you work 80 hours a week without cracking? Are you good at negotiating with vendors? Can you come up with a marketing plan?

Lots to think about.
    hello,

I saw on your blog, you started optical shop without a DR. I was wondering if you would be willing to help. I am trying to open my own optical shop but i do not have any idea where to start and how to begin with the requirements texas require to open one. I am a certified optician well i was because my license expire but im going to retake the exam. Let me know if you can help me " theopticexpress@gmail.com "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by samee-2016 View Post
    hello,

I saw on your blog, you started optical shop without a DR. I was wondering if you would be willing to help. I am trying to open my own optical shop but i do not have any idea where to start and how to begin with the requirements texas require to open one. I am a certified optician well i was because my license expire but im going to retake the exam. Let me know if you can help me " theopticexpress@gmail.com "
    I would be glad to look through a business plan once you have one written. Until then, there's really not much I can help you with.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the reply. I am still working on my business plan. I just need to know what texas state require you to have before open the optical shop.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I ain't from Texas but I did drive through there once so do not take my advise seriously. It is intended your amusement and entertainment only.

You can go right to the horses mouth by contacting:

TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
    Optician's Registry
    Professional Licensing & Certification Division
    1100 West 49th Street
    Austin, TX 78756-3183
    PHONE:(512) 834-6661
    FAX:(512) 834-6677

That will probably be the easy part. You will probably just have to fog a mirror and pay an exorbitant fee. The difficult and costly requirements will be to obtain a business license in your locale, get a Federal and possibly State Tax ID number, Insurance and God only knows what else. I, personally, would not take a single step until I had a good bean counter and shyster on my side.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know what a bean counter is but explain the shyster...or are they one and the same?

Thread Information