Thread: Hins light and HEV

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hins light and HEV

Earlier today as I was driving to work I heard an interesting piece on a new form of light bulb being installed in hospitals in the UK. Its called a HINS-Light and it actuallt decontaminates an area using a specific wave length of light. this of course got me thinking of HEV light and its affect in ARMD. After some quick research I have come to the conclusion this new tech may not be such a great ides.

In a nutshell the HINS-Light uses light in the 405nm wavelength to destroy bacteria in an area. this sounds like a great idea but HEV runs from 400-500nm and causes or possibly causes ARMD in patients with IOL's specifically. Actually you're just in a higher risk profile if you have already had a 'Clear" IOL implanted as the retina is no longer producing carotenoids in quantity and the secondary defense of a yellow lens has been removed. Thus by installing these lights you have subjected a predominately aged population in a hospital to exposure to ARMD inducing light.

I post this here to hear your thoughts.

Below is a link to the HINS presentation and a white paper from Vision Ease on HEV posted here on OptiBoard.

http://www.fitwise.co.uk/events/snn/...lleMacLean.pdf

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/cont...e-Light-Hazard

I look forward to your input.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    While it may be a "good" offense against bacteria, I **HOPE** that protective eyewear will be mandated for those who are exposed to it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WEAR SUNSCREEN! (<-clicky) ...And remember, you were not as fat as you remember... ;)
    Last edited by Uilleann; 08-24-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Earlier today as I was driving to work I heard an interesting piece on a new form of light bulb being installed in hospitals in the UK. Its called a HINS-Light and it actuallt decontaminates an area using a specific wave length of light. this of course got me thinking of HEV light and its affect in ARMD. After some quick research I have come to the conclusion this new tech may not be such a great ides.

In a nutshell the HINS-Light uses light in the 405nm wavelength to destroy bacteria in an area. this sounds like a great idea but HEV runs from 400-500nm and causes or possibly causes ARMD in patients with IOL's specifically. Actually you're just in a higher risk profile if you have already had a 'Clear" IOL implanted as the retina is no longer producing carotenoids in quantity and the secondary defense of a yellow lens has been removed. Thus by installing these lights you have subjected a predominately aged population in a hospital to exposure to ARMD inducing light.

I post this here to hear your thoughts.

Below is a link to the HINS presentation and a white paper from Vision Ease on HEV posted here on OptiBoard.

http://www.fitwise.co.uk/events/snn/...lleMacLean.pdf

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/cont...e-Light-Hazard

I look forward to your input.
    The exposure to HEV's effects are cumulative over a lifetime so one trip to the hospital isn't going to cause ARMD, but one trip with exposure to MRSA can cause death or amputation. The use of HEV light is also going to allow the cleaning staff to use less chemicals and antibacterials to clean surfaces, which is one of the reasons for the super bugs in the first place. In this case the eye's are the least of the hospitals worries.

Thread Information