Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and people allergic to them.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Cats and people allergic to them.

Hey guys.

Needing some advice. My Fiancee and I have decided to move back in with my mother for about 3 months to save some money up. It works out because she's got a back room that is slightly disconnected from most of the house that is quite spacious. The problem is we have two beloved cats that I am in no way getting rid of. I have tried to find a friend to help us by providing them with a temporary home, but so far no one is up for it.

My step-father is allergic to cats, and well to say the least, he hates them. They've grudgingly agreed to let them come with us as long as we try to make it as comfortable for him as possible.

We have already promised to keep the cats in our area of the house at all times. Change the air filters. Vacuum as often as possible(probably every other day). I will also be amping up their baths to at least once a week. Other than all of that, I'm not really sure what else we could do to help.

Anyone suffer from cat allergies that have any helpful remedies? I'm checking online, and so far I've only found what I already plan on doing. May also go check pet stores for any products, but since you all have been so helpful in the past, thought I would check here too.

Thanks!
    Kara
    -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
    ---"No. this is a seg height."--
    Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
    Thomas Jefferson

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Air purifiers may help?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no allergies, being a Kat myself, that said, I have heard from people that are allergic that you need to make sure that you have an enclosed style vaccuum (Dyson, Rainbow) that will now release anything back into the air as cat dander can float up to 500 feet while vacuumming. Have you gone to your local humane society? They often have temporary long-term boarding available.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Air purifiers may help?
    Just saw that one. Was going to go look into it. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    I have no allergies, being a Kat myself, that said, I have heard from people that are allergic that you need to make sure that you have an enclosed style vaccuum (Dyson, Rainbow) that will now release anything back into the air as cat dander can float up to 500 feet while vacuumming. Have you gone to your local humane society? They often have temporary long-term boarding available.
    I didn't check with a society, not sure I'm up for that. If it gets bad enough I will keep that in mind though.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never had allergies as a kid but am allergic to cats now. If I pat one and then touch my face without washing my hands first KABOOM!

I would insist they be restricted to the smallest area of the house possible. It's the dander I think more than the fur that's the problem.

Any way you can do a dry run and bring them for a visit for a few days just to be sure he is not so allergic that they cannot be anywhere in the house?

Offer to rent one or hire, (the pro's can be surprisingly affordable) a carpet cleaning service when you move out.
    My2 cents

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also suggest your step-dad going on claritin or something. Vacuum every day. Dust everyday with some kind of dusting agent (pledge, murphy's oil). Try not to actually go into their side of the house through a central door if it can be avoided. Also, if there is a door way that can be permanently shut, block it with a heavy blanket so the hair and dander can't get underneath. good luck. I couldn't give up my cats very easily either.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I never had allergies as a kid but am allergic to cats now. If I pat one and then touch my face without washing my hands first KABOOM!

I would insist they be restricted to the smallest area of the house possible. It's the dander I think more than the fur that's the problem.

Any way you can do a dry run and bring them for a visit for a few days just to be sure he is not so allergic that they cannot be anywhere in the house?

Offer to rent one or hire, (the pro's can be surprisingly affordable) a carpet cleaning service when you move out.
    My2 cents

When he and my mom were dating I had two cats then that ran all over the house. So when he moved in, he pretty much stayed in his room. He had TV and computer, and other sorts of entertainment so it wasn't like a prison. He insisted I keep the cats because it was their home first. He was ok that time period. He would come out briefly to eat dinner and still be just fine. So I think if we keep them in one small area he should be ok again for awhile. Since it's his house we're invading this time I just want to make it as comfortable as possible for everyone.

I had read if you shampoo the carpets it should eliminate any leftover dander so I plan to try that maybe once a month as well. Specially when we leave. Thanks!
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Also suggest your step-dad going on claritin or something. Vacuum every day. Dust everyday with some kind of dusting agent (pledge, murphy's oil). Try not to actually go into their side of the house through a central door if it can be avoided. Also, if there is a door way that can be permanently shut, block it with a heavy blanket so the hair and dander can't get underneath. good luck. I couldn't give up my cats very easily either.

My Fiance, who was not thrilled about them when we started dating, has gotten as attached to them as much as I have. When I had told him the original plan was to find a temporary home for them. He said, "But!!!! They're our babies!" Now I know he can't pretend to not care for them anymore. hahaha.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might concider consulting an allergist. Otherwise coat the cat with two coats of polyurethane. Problem will go away.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    You might concider consulting an allergist. Otherwise coat the cat with two coats of polyurethane. Problem will go away.
    Ha Ha.... Wouldn't have to worry about food, water, litter or treats anymore either. Terrible.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My spouse says you don't need to shampoo. Instead, wipe them down with...
    http://www.amazon.com/Allerpet-Groom...2737966&sr=1-1

If you have an Aprilaire air cleaner on your furnace, run the furnace fan 24/7.

If they have carpets and drapes, clean/treat when you leave.
    http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Anti-Aller.../dp/B000RWFFHY

http://www.messybeast.com/allergy.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Makes...em?&id=1803426
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Heavens forbid, but have you considered taking responsibility for your own housing situation and standing on your own two feet rather than invading your parents home with not only yourself and your fiancee but with a couple of cats.

Honor thy father and thy mother.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Heavens forbid, but have you considered taking responsibility for your own housing situation and standing on your own two feet rather than invading your parents home with not only yourself and your fiancee but with a couple of cats.

I think you may be being a little harsh.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Yea, you have no idea what My Fiance and I have been through actually. I have been on my own two feet since I was 18 years old(before I even graduated hs) and have paid my way through my life on my OWN since then. WITHOUT assistance from my mom(other than her undying love). In fact, I can remember several times that I have bought my mothers groceries, paid for her gas and given her money to get by when she struggled a little.

WE both work hard. Our hours got cut at the lab a few months ago. To make up for it I got a second job. My fiance started doing housework and yard work for friends/family/neighbors. He also started donating plasma twice a week. Despite all our efforts and hard work these past few months we fell behind. I don't like the idea of "intruding" in my mothers home, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Oh, and it was my mom AND step dads insistence that we "intrude". Made that decision when they saw how hard we were having to work, how much stress we are under, how little sleep we were getting, and finally how much weight I've lost. I think by listening to their insistence that would be considered "Honoring Thy Mother and Father"

My suggestion to you would be to Do not pass judgement on others. Especially when you haven't even met me, and have never heard my story.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    I think you may be being a little harsh.
    Thank you.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Occupation
    sorry for my little rant there....now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    My spouse says you don't need to shampoo. Instead, wipe them down with...
    http://www.amazon.com/Allerpet-Groom...2737966&sr=1-1

If you have an Aprilaire air cleaner on your furnace, run the furnace fan 24/7.

If they have carpets and drapes, clean/treat when you leave.
    http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Anti-Aller.../dp/B000RWFFHY

http://www.messybeast.com/allergy.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Makes...em?&id=1803426

Those wipes may be a heck of a lot easier than baths. Gizmo isn't too bad when it comes to water, but Baby thinks she's dying a slow a painful death. lol. I'm going to give those wipes a try. Thanks!
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Brush the cats and wipe them down with baby wipes every day. It helps keep the allergens off of them in between baths.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kelanor View Post
    Brush the cats and wipe them down with baby wipes every day. It helps keep the allergens off of them in between baths.
    Thank you. I will do that. I gave them both baths yesterday. Even though we haven't moved in yet, I want them to get used to possibly increased bath times.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Those wipes may be a heck of a lot easier than baths. Gizmo isn't too bad when it comes to water, but Baby thinks she's dying a slow a painful death. lol. I'm going to give those wipes a try. Thanks!
    Your welcome. We have three, my wife is in the business (animals), and I have a grade four allergy to cats. More power to you if you can bathe your cats. We might be able to get Zoe wet, but Django and Eddie would claw and eat us alive, pretty much like this example of how to pill a cat...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Ho...s/show/1364044
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Your welcome. We have three, my wife is in the business (animals), and I have a grade four allergy to cats. More power to you if you can bathe your cats. We might be able to get Zoe wet, but Django and Eddie would claw and eat us alive, pretty much like this example of how to pill a cat...

That made me laugh really hard. Thanks for that!
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Im laughing so hard tears are streaming down my cheeks. My husband thinks I'm insane. So true!

Occupation
    Here's another one based on giving your cat a bath. Thought it would make you laugh. too.
    http://www.chemteam.info/Humor/Give-Cat-Bath.html
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Here's another one based on giving your cat a bath. Thought it would make you laugh. too.
    http://www.chemteam.info/Humor/Give-Cat-Bath.html
    Again, very funny. I've always thought it was propaganda when you see a video of a cat enjoying a shower or swimming in a pool. I'm not sure who is trying to fool you into some kind of false sense of "Hmmmmm..... Maybe I too can bathe my cat/clip his nails/give him medicine".

Occupation
    Again, very funny. I've always thought it was propaganda when you see a video of a cat enjoying a shower or swimming in a pool. I'm not sure who is trying to fool you into some kind of false sense of "Hmmmmm..... Maybe I too can bathe my cat/clip his nails/give him medicine".

Gizmo is fairly easy to bathe, and clip toenails. She's a pretty docile cat. She is also very small for a cat so as long as I keep the water warm, don't put her head under the water, and keep hold of her she really doesn't fight me. Baby on the other hand, is very muscular and quite strong for a cat. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure she is schizo. She thinks her shadow is out to get her. Bathing her is like wrestling a baby alligator.
    Seth, and Dalene

Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information