Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longest daily commute

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    for the 2 years i worked for hellcrafters, er, um... i mean Lenscrafters in Wisconsin i had a 110 mile commute every day. round trip. last month i moved home to Alaska, and now i have about a 15 mile round trip commute... i am sure i could have found optical work closer to my location in WI, but i was offered too much money for too little work NOT to take the LC job.... but now in AK i am making DOUBLE that and less than 1/4 of the drive! plus the view is sooooo worth it

edit: also at LC this was a 6 and sometimes 7 days a week drive. i was appearently the only decent person they where capable of hiring, in a 6 month period i got maybe 9 days off....
    Last edited by Huffam; 09-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffam View Post
    for the 2 years i worked for hellcrafters, er, um... i mean Lenscrafters in Wisconsin i had a 110 mile commute every day. round trip. last month i moved home to Alaska, and now i have about a 15 mile round trip commute... i am sure i could have found optical work closer to my location in WI, but i was offered too much money for too little work NOT to take the LC job.... but now in AK i am making DOUBLE that and less than 1/4 of the drive! plus the view is sooooo worth it

edit: also at LC this was a 6 and sometimes 7 days a week drive. i was appearently the only decent person they where capable of hiring, in a 6 month period i got maybe 9 days off....
    Been there - done that. I commuted from the Mid-Hudson Valley in NY, into Manhattan for 12 years - I was teaching at a college with an Ophthalmic Dispensing program. 65 miles of hell in the morning (2 1/2 hours) and heaven forbid if one car was disabled on the West Side Highway! But - I had evening classes and left around 9 p.m., so the ride home was about 1 hour. I only posted this because today is the 11th anniversary of 9/11 - That was a horrible day for all of us, and my commute became the worst nightmare one might imagine.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    100 miles round trip for six years, one hour on a good day, 3 hours on the worst. Now 2 miles, 2 minutes. Did I like my old job better? Yep, but not beating the hell out of a car and paying 4.00 a gallon for gas twice a week makes up for it.

Thread Information