Here's a curious question. For the first time ever, I tried anti reflective lenses. After approximately 3 months of wear the anti reflective coating began to come off the left lens. I mainly wear contacts so my glasses wear is mainly at night and early morning. I clean my glasses every morning before storing them in their case for the day.

The lenses have only been cleaned with a lens cleaner marked safe for anti reflective lenses or with plain water and then dried with a clean cotton diaper only. Nothing else ever touched them. I'm very protective of my glasses.

The manufacturer who made my lenses wanted the lens back to recoat the lens. Ok, the lenses are still in good shape and not scratched; I won't be charged for it and it won't count against my one time yearly scratch warranty. However, I'm inconvenienced as I have only one lens to see with when wearing my glasses part time for 2 - 3 days. As a mainly contact lens wearer I only have one pair of glasses - the old ones had green screws and I threw them out.

So far I am extremely unimpressed with AR and don't know if I'll buy into that again. Since the lens edges were polished, I can't tell if the AR is doing any good as I can still see prism lights out of the sides of my glasses. The only advantage I can say about AR is when someone else looks at me they can see my eyes without glare.

Regardless of how much the employees at the optical place "understood" how I felt we (I) seemed to be at the mercy of the lens manufacturer. I purposely went to a smaller optical place (no cold chains for me) to avoid the chain mentality of the WalMart's only 90 day scratch guarantee and other move 'em in move 'em out tactics. It's surprising how many optical places WILL NOT offer a one year scratch replacement, from the swanky expensive optical salons to the bargain basement variety.

My questions:

Is this common with anti reflective?

Is it common to send the original lens back to the manufacturer and inconvenience the customer when the problem clearly is a manufacturing defect caused by their materials?

Any replies, words of encouragement, or chain recommendations welcome.

Thanks for reading my post,

Dannette

:( :) :bbg: