Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti Reflective Lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Jo,

You are right. I went through 2 different front counter people over several days before being put in touch with Carl. At that point I was glad to get a lens - any lens - in my glasses. Basically the counter people were not too concerned about my inconvenience so when I finally spoke to Carl on the phone he did seem like he was being most helpful.

As far as removing the polished edges, I decided not to bring it up to them again as I was afraid having the polished edges roughed up or removed would not be the best thing for my lenses. The process sounded like it would take quite a bit of finesse and I figured I'd be better off keeping what I had.

Yes, I do have astigmatism. My glasses RX reads:
    OD -6.25 -3.50 004
    OS -6.75 -2.75 180

Several years ago, before learning about high index my lenses were polycarb, but I do prefer the high index. I have never liked the edges polished for either polycarb or high index.

Dannette

Big Smile Dannette/AR Coatings

Dannette,

I know that most of population is under the inpression that Wal*Mart uses low end products because the prices are so low. That could not be any further from the truth. Just for instance Wal*Mart uses one of the best AR Coatings in the market for their patients. They offer a warranty but I am not sure how long. I do believe if you are not satisfied they have a no hassle policy. They use Varilux and Sola lenses for very low prices. So, maybe Wal*Mart wouldn't be such a bad place to go after all.

Believe me AR Coatings today are very reliable. Zeiss invented AR coatings in Europe way back in 1935. They just came out with Foundation which is a hard coat that is under the AR and makes the AR coating harder so it won't come off. They call their coatings Super ET and Gold ET. Check them out. Good Luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thank you Grady. I was overlooking WalMart for glasses, they do have very low prices. In the future, I will definately consider them.

Dannette

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Danette, I believe that Walmart just within the past couple months were pretty much forced to do a considerable upgrade to Zeiss AR, which has several AR's, the Foundation just recently, which is just their version of Crizal which Essilor has had on the market for 4 yrs. their ET AR's have a 1 time, 1 year warranty. Walmart only sells Varilux lenses if the pt comes in and demands it, and they charge more than our shop, they general have non-certified staff with little experience, so why pay more, not less; ( i'm only aware of what's going on in my market area. fact is, most pals are 90% success fitted by a "qualified optician", and even the premium designs are only 70% success when fitted by inexperienced sales clerks. so, which would you like? Walmart is not the least expensive, on identical product, they do have some inexpensive loss leaders....

Bad address email on file APV Optical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As far as Walmart I will consider them for milk and lunch meat, but when It comes to my eyes only qualified and certified professional staff will do. Thats just me, on the other hand, AR Coated lenses can and should be warranted against crazing/or bad coating for 1 year. Also if the lens has a bad coating it is at the expense of the manufacturer and should be done at no charge while your wearing the glasses. Please let me know if I can assist you in any other matters.:)

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey now guys. There are Certified Opticians and, in licensed states, Licensed Opticians working at chains and independents alike.

Dannette, as a patient and a consumer, it is up to you to ask if the person assisting you is either Licensed (if your state requires a license to fit, fabricate and dispense glasses) or American Board of Opticianry, ABO, Certified. Certified opticians have taken the National Opticianry Competency Examination (NOCE) given by the ABO. If they are Licensed opticians, in addition to being ABO Certified, many have formal college educations in ophthalmic dispensing, many have also taken state written exams, state practical exams and apprenticed under other professionals for a minimum amount of time in order to obtain their licensure.

You can find information about ABO Certified Opticians at this website below:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I called WalMart and yes they now have the Zeiss AR with a 2 year warranty. Cost for single vision lens 80.00, add AR for 30.00 for a total of $110.00 lenses only.

It really does depends on who one talks to at WalMart optical as Jo stated. The first WalMart I called to get pricing information, had no idea what Crizal was. So I called another WalMart - we have 3 in the area- and the person on the phone was very knowledgeable. He even cleared up a question I had about Pearle's ultralight polycarb lens. Even though it is thinner than high index it is a different material and would not be the best for my high astigmatism. I believe Jo pointed that out to me too.

Dannette

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a patient today, in for the forth time for Crizal AR replacement under free two year warranty. This time she made it only two months. Got very mad at me when I told her she had hair spray on lenses: " I hardly ever use hair spray except when I go to de beauty parlor and then I hold my glasses in my hand." I cleaned the hair spray off they were still scratched, but only on the seg(a +3.25 add plastic lens) "But you can ask my daugher or anyone, I never have put my glasses down on a flat surface!".

Don't even try to say ARC is durable and it's scratch problems have been solved. Every year for the last year we have had "new and improved" but in real life the improvments are only in the cost. If we add enough terms like substrate, hydrophobic, hydroscopic, underlayer, overlayer, multi-multi layer, we keep the faith and buy and re-sell. It still scratches, it's still delicate, it's expensive and we argue about how good it is now. A rose by any other name?

Chip

Bad address email on file APV Optical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    AMEN!!!!

OptiBoard Novice

Smilie Anti-Reflective Coating Care

Some tips and advice:

Avoid high heat never clean a lens with a dry cloth or a shirt, try not to handel your lenses with your hands as you will leave an oil based residue, use warm water to rise lenses (once again avoid hot temps) to remove oils use dish detergent and warm water, If your lenses apear to be streaked check your detergent for lotions and softeners as these additive should be avoided.
    You may also use AR aproved lens cleaners

Avoid contact with: House hold spray cleaners, chemicals, clorine, ammonia or amonia based products, and dreaded hairspray

(optician note ) do not use acetone on AR coating

I hope this helps
    Rain

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Don't even try to say ARC is durable and it's scratch problems have been solved........................ . It still scratches, it's still delicate, it's expensive and we argue about how good it is now. A rose by any other name?

Chip
    There is just about nothing that will not scratch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can name them anything you want..................it can be made by whoever you want...............glasses are delicate matter and should be taken care of by the patient/customer.

I wish that this BS with free replacements and warranties would disapear into the dust, Optics would become much simpler at it used to be.

Madam you have scratched lenses....................you want a new one for .............$, If yes she pays. If she breaks a lens she pays.

It would also solve a lot of paper on the optibard:idea:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Decided not to post

edited by me.
    Last edited by Dannette; 03-02-2005 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Decided not to post

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worn AR for at least 16 years. I have only had problems with one pair of stock lenses that degraded. Now everything is surfaced using good labs that control all aspects of manufacturing & coating. Early on, Iwas instructed by the manufacturer, DBL, to swish my glasses in dish detergent soapy water, than rinse and dry with a soft cloth. This removes the body oils and debris that occur in the eyewire and on the nose pads.

Today, we inform our patients how to do this and also give them a kit from Nanofilm to be used when the detergent is not accesible. Those with the most complaints decide not to swish but spray only. Why on earth would you like to extract the oils an debris and wipe it across your lens. This instruction method increased positive outcomes and the use of AR by 30% over the last year.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I would like to thank both you and Rain for your replies. The AR lenses that I had written about in this post were defective. I have since purchased another pair of AR lenses that I've had for almost 2 years and have had no problems, no scratches either for that matter. It is true Rain, that one has to be careful when washing the glasses cloths and keep all fabric softner out of the washer/dryer. I run my lenses under water & dry with a soft cotton cloth daily. Occassionally I will use a cleaner specifically for cleaning glasses that is labeled safe for AR.Dannette

Thread Information