Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Am I Missing?

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    With every pair of progressive lens change, due to age of the patient, whater the design, make or manufacturer or material or price..................the areas of distortions get larger and more noticable, the progressive area changes to smaller and narrower and the reading area gets smaller through re increase in power.

Progressive lenses have originally been brought on the market to hide the age indications of wearing bifocals and selling for a lot more money. They have been around for some 50+ years and made a lot of money to some corporations as well as opticians ................not because they are better optically.

They have been renamed and repackaged a few dozen time over a period of time to make them a new novelty but nobody has been able to produce them without majour distortions and smaller reading areas as patients get more and more wrinkles, ...............because the laws of physics do not allow it.

A local courier driver ( on the mid 50s) in the optical that comes by every day, changed from a $ 400.00 par of progressives he had the last 3 years
    Chris.........I got somone you change eyegalsess every 1 eear for the same D Bifocal for $ 550.......But thats add of Frame Price too Lol :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Does adapted mean got used to seeing poorly?
    Not if I can see everything I need and want to see.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy:
    How many times in your carier have you seen a patient that thought they were seeing all there was to see and upon getting new glasses or thier first glasses exclaimed: "Geeze, I had no idea what I've been missing?"
    You get your glasses free, go put it to the test!
    I know I am violating our "friendlier Optiboard" here but we have two "eyecare professionals" of long standing one of whom won't do a simple comparision test and another that rebels at even suggesting an older design that might give improved vision. Us be professionals?

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-23-2012 at 03:50 PM.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know I am violating our "friendlier Optiboard" here but we have two "eyecare professionals" of long standing one of whom won't do a simple comparision test and another that rebels at even suggesting an older design that might give improved vision. Us be professionals?

Chip
    I really don't have any issue in recommending a FT if I feel it would be an improvement. However, for what this patient needs I'd be making a poor suggestion. He relies on his intermediate far too much, and the frame won't accommodate a trifocal...and with it being a pof, I don't feel I should both suggest a lined tri and tell him he has to purchase a new frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy: Make yourself a pair of 7/28's or Bifocals if you are under 54 in the same frame at the same power, PD's etc. As I have done in the past. Compare the vision. Also see how long it takes you to adjust to "the lines" when you switch from one to the other.
    In my own case it takes less than 30 seconds to adjust to "the lines" and I find that vision at near, and vision peripherally is much better in the 7/28's. Don't think one can really evaluate this any other way. The things we hear at CEC "courses" and from sales "technical" information are obviously squewed. Of course your results may be different, but give it a shot.

Chip
    Chip (and Chris), I have tried bifocals and trifocals, but prefer a PAL. Personally, lined lenses make the ground view unacceptable. They also stair step you through focal lengths. A good PAL design has very clear distance vision from edge to edge above the fitting cross. Better designs also have very little swim effect.

PAL's are the "swiss army knife" of lenses. They do a little bit of everything. But would I build a house with the screwdriver on a swiss army knife? No, I'd use a power tool. Right tool for a given job. Do we only have a screwdriver at our work bench? No, we have different tools for specific tasks.

This is why many patients find benefit to task specific glasses. Like reading glasses, computer glasses, golf lenses, ect. And these task specific glasses don't have to cost an arm and a leg. They many times can be simple CR SV lenses. Before you say we are gouging a client's wallet, keep in mind that it's not our job to police their money. Most folks are very capable at doing that themselves. My job is to make suggestions of products that will aid them. And yes, sometimes those include lined lenses.

I can't recall the last client that didn't find benefit to their computer glasses they purchased. In fact many say it was one of the smartest investments they've made, and re-order as their Rx changes.

Today's market dictates what the public wants. You can call it marketing or brain washing, but the public wants PAL's. But we should also offer solutions to specific needs that not even a bi or tri will do as well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    i think the problem is that the prescription has change so little, that he cant see the difference, and now feel "robbed" so he is complaining at a very slight difference between the lenses, but he just want to say "i am not paying for this" my english so good, so maybe i have got this all wrong, but i would never make that litle a change. what was his complaints and reasoon for getting new lenses ?

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately I wasn't the one who worked with him initially. My guess is he just wanted more clarity, but I agree that the change is minimal and not necessarily worth the update.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I discovered a backside PAL (not from me) that had the near reference point outset instead of inset in one eye, creating plenty of grief for the wearer at near. Semi-finished PALs can have the same problem if the 180 line is off-axis. The symptoms you describe are what I would expect if the near reference point is mispositioned. It's certainly worth a look, if you haven't done so already.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information