Thread: Attention Master Opticians

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Attention Master Opticians

I would like to hear from all the Masters (Zen ones as well if they feel so compelled) about the Advanced Test. Was it multiple choice, How many questions, Was it predominately optics formula driven, little known or cared for esoteric items? Any clues would certainly be helpful for those of us who are about to take the test. :D
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Lee,

Actually, anyone who took the test more than- say- two years ago will have taken a completely different test than the one current administered.

The exam portion of the ABOM certification is now the ABO-AC exam. From what I know (and I was somewhat involved with the process of its creation), it covers a LOT of territory. Pretty much everything from formulas to business theory can be on the test. Also, I hear that the passing rate has been a bit lower than anticipated...

All in all, I would say the person who has the best chance of doing well on this exam is one who has varied experience (some lab, some front optical, some management). If this describes you, don't sweat it and just go for it. If you're heavy in one area and light in another, ask someone who is strong in your weak area for some basics...

For sure, I'd love to hear your observations after you've taken the exam. Good luck, and when are you slated to take it?

Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thanks Pete! I feel a little confidence coming back. I'm cramming for Expo West and even though I have had a very rounded career, no one really uses a thick lens equation today do they? Can you tell me, what is considered passing? 70 %, 80%, 90%? These types of test always concern me as they tend to focus on the theoretical and not a whole lot of real world practicality. Just needed a feel of how far back or deep I needed to focus on.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Luck Lee

Pete is correct, as usual.

Also try this site: http://www.abo-ncle.org/advanced.html

Don't sweat the math. If you can calculate vertical imbalance with an oblique axis, understand the magnification formula and can guess at vertex compensation, you can miss the rest and be OK.

Hint: You will probably not be prepared for the management questions.

Read the test, and answer everything you know quickly. Then go back and answer the questions you understand but need to work on. Then answer all the questions you aren't really sure of. Then guess at all the rest. At least this way if you run out of time you have answered everything you know for sure.
    In addition, it keeps you from being frustrated about the thick-lens question if it appears early on.
    Last edited by Homer; 07-15-2002 at 07:17 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Good Luck Lee

Homer said:

Hint: You will probably not be prepared for the management questions.
    Well, as much as people say that the advanced pre-requisite courses aren't advanced, they help in preparing the exam candidate for the test. They won't TEACH you the test, but they will give you insight into what will be presented. The management courses are good for this particularly.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did take the ABO-AC test to check validity of questions asked a few years ago. I took the old masters in 1988. Diane is correct about the courses directing you of areas to study and review. I also teach several of the Advanced Courses for preparation to take the advanced certification exams.

I did however take the NCLC-AC exam in 1999. It at that time was closer to the Contact Lens Society of America's manuals and test questions.

The importance of both for me...satisfaction of personal acheivement and increased income as it enhanced my experience.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    All I would add to the previous two posts (the authors of which I would never contradict, because I would without doubt be in error if I should)...
    :D
    ...is this. I have seen most of the AC courses, and I think I have a pretty good idea of the topics covered by the questions on the exam... Having a sense of both, I would add emphasis to Diane's comment that the courses will not TEACH you the test. In fact, I would suggest that you not put a lot of expectation into finding information from the AC courses on the exam.

In a non-contradicting kind of way, I suppose it might be construed that I'm sort of saying the content of the courses are perhaps just a tiny bit too disconnected from the content of the exam for my liking...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Pete,

You're not contradicting in the least. I find the content of most of the Advanced Courses as being basic opticianry and contact lens knowledge and do not comparison to an opticianry school program in the least. (At least not the one I did). If I remember correctly an opticianry school graduate can take the tests without the prerequisite courses.

Now let me see...I had 2 semesters of geometric optics and 2 of mechanical optics. But them I again our instructor was an engineer by trade and a master optician secondly in the late 70's.

I hope you just didn't figure how old I am!
    Bev

Thread Information