Thread: Suggestions on selecting a lab?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Suggestions on selecting a lab?

Hi-

I am new to this board and would like to solicit some insight into the various labs that you are using.

I have recently acquired an Ophthalmology Practice from a retiring MD who has an optical shop in New Jersey. Currently they are using B&W Lab in Baltimore and Kosh lab (not sure where that is). I don't know much about these 2 labs. I know this will sound backwards, but my primary goal is to find a lab that integrates with DVI, Optivision, or Labzilla (so that it interfaces with my Practice Management software), and then I would like that lab to provide great customer service and a high quality product... oh and I would like affordability. That's not asking too much is it?

My experience is entirely with Zeiss products, although I am not adverse to learning about Varilux, Essilor or other products depending on what the lab offers. My preference would be to keep all my business with one lab. We accept VSP, so must be a VSP lab. The practice is a small practice, with 1 optometrist taking the place of the retiring MD. I would approximate the office does 25 jobs per week currently (I hope that number increases). All of the jobs they currently do they send the frame to the lab, I hope down the road I can get a tracer, but for now that will probably continue.

I hope that small amount of background helps with your suggestions. So my questions are:

1) Do you have lab recommendations that can integrate with my PM software and is a VSP lab?
    2) Is it realistic to find one lab that can meet all of our needs?
    3) Does distance from our practice to a chosen lab matter? I'm assuming if it's on the East Coast then whether it's 100 or 500 miles won't matter much, but could be wrong.

If you have any further questions that will help with suggestions fire away.

Thanks, Matt

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    www.luzerneoptical.com will fill the bill for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Contact fellow Optiboarder, Judy Canty.

She is a rep for Luzerne Optical and they should be able to help!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She beat me to it!

Lol!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2939 View Post
    Hi-

I am new to this board and would like to solicit some insight into the various labs that you are using.

I have recently acquired an Ophthalmology Practice from a retiring MD who has an optical shop in New Jersey. Currently they are using B&W Lab in Baltimore and Kosh lab (not sure where that is). I don't know much about these 2 labs. I know this will sound backwards, but my primary goal is to find a lab that integrates with DVI, Optivision, or Labzilla (so that it interfaces with my Practice Management software), and then I would like that lab to provide great customer service and a high quality product... oh and I would like affordability. That's not asking too much is it?

My experience is entirely with Zeiss products, although I am not adverse to learning about Varilux, Essilor or other products depending on what the lab offers. My preference would be to keep all my business with one lab. We accept VSP, so must be a VSP lab. The practice is a small practice, with 1 optometrist taking the place of the retiring MD. I would approximate the office does 25 jobs per week currently (I hope that number increases). All of the jobs they currently do they send the frame to the lab, I hope down the road I can get a tracer, but for now that will probably continue.

I hope that small amount of background helps with your suggestions. So my questions are:

1) Do you have lab recommendations that can integrate with my PM software and is a VSP lab?
    2) Is it realistic to find one lab that can meet all of our needs?
    3) Does distance from our practice to a chosen lab matter? I'm assuming if it's on the East Coast then whether it's 100 or 500 miles won't matter much, but could be wrong.

If you have any further questions that will help with suggestions fire away.

Thanks, Matt
    1. If you insist on using only one lab go to VSP website and pick. I think you might find better deals from smaller and medium size non VSP labs!
    2. You have to compromise!
    3. No! With todays shipping times it makes no diff. As long as the lab does not charge you a fortune for shipping.

Why not stay with the same labs for a while and see?

I always loved the saying about advantages of ANY lab.

Quality, Price, Turnaround
    Now just pick any two! You will never find ALL 3 in the same lab!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    She beat me to it!

Lol!!
    No flies on this old broad!

Occupation
    Thank you for the quick replies! Judy I have submitted a new account & credit application to Luzerne via the email address listed on the website. I listed you as the referrer on my app, thanks again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bravo! Welcome to the family!!

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi! I believe I worked with someone who was a big fan of Luzerne Optical...definitely worth checking out. I've also had success with DBL. They were fast, accurate, and friendly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    our practice uses DBL and we've been very happy with them :) very friendly and typically pretty fast. we do almost all of our edging in house, and barring any errors usually have lenses within 2 - 5 days (depending on the complexities and such ;) ... everything comes overnight so its pretty fast! hope this helps :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I work at a wholesale lab, but we don't do VSP and that's a bit of a distance right now. I would stick with Luzerne. We outsource to them a few times a month and they never disappoint.

As the Customer Service Supervisor in our lab, my advice to you would be to actually call into the lab you choose and talk to the C.S. team get to know them. My team and I love it when we can make a connection with our accounts. Makes it easier for us to understand what they expect and what they want from us. Good Luck!!
    -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
    ---"No. this is a seg height."--
    Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
    Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the board.....

I'd advise you to Shop around. I have and it' makes a big difference and ensuring that you get the right one...... As in all business it's Location Location Location.
    Where are you versus where is the lab.
    Where they stand on policies.
    And where they stand on pricing.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard.
    Luzern is great, also you can try Rite Style Optical and also I-Coat both do great digital work. I-Coat also does great 8-9 base curve jobs.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Judy - I'd encourage you to contact me via a personal message. I have some feedback I think you should hear re: your lab that I don't want to share publicly. Thanks.

Thank you everyone else for your replies. I will take your advice and continue to look around.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2939 View Post
    Judy - I'd encourage you to contact me via a personal message. I have some feedback I think you should hear re: your lab that I don't want to share publicly. Thanks.

Thank you everyone else for your replies. I will take your advice and continue to look around.
    This does not sound good......

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure you negotiate a good remake policy for drs. RX changes and other remake issues

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luzerne is good as well as Perfect Optics and CSC Labs

Thread Information