Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This always cracks me up

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This always cracks me up

I don't know if this only happens to us younger ladies, or to you men as well, but I always get a kick out of patients who come in and let me know they've 'discovered' how to fix their glasses, and have to share this with you as the optician. This morning, very nice older man, came in with a broken nose pad, and he felt the need as an experienced retired engineer, to share his new found knowledge of the inner workings of guard arms and tiny little screws. The difference today was he actually thought he was helping me out, as opposed to most who talk down and are condescending when they tell me how to fix their glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My area is LOADED with engineers and they all try to tell me of ways and machines they could make to "Align" and repair glasses..... Often, yes, they do more harm then good. And then I have the very oppsite, those engineers who look me straight in the eye and ask "How do you get that screw out?" ..... I look them square in the eye and tell them "I have a box that contains a special machine to remove the screws." .... It's called a "Screwdriver"
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is an old French saying about engineers: Engineers know EVERYTHING and.... nothing else.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    And then I have the very oppsite, those engineers who look me straight in the eye and ask "How do you get that screw out?" ..... I look them square in the eye and tell them "I have a box that contains a special machine to remove the screws." .... It's called a "Screwdriver"
    I tell them that I whack it with a hammer!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just nod politely...:)then go to the back room to fix them.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I tell them that I whack it with a hammer!
    Al ot of them ask me for their old lenses back so they can "Test" if we have been giving them shatter resistent lenses. I asked how they were going to test them, one told me he wanted to shoot them with a 22 cal at 30 yards just like the military does...... I fought back the laughter so hard
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had one today that I was delivering a new artificial eye to, every time I took it out, worked on it and put it back in his female companion had to stare at for several minites. If finally had to ask him if he wanted her to work on it or me.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Or when someone comes in and says they can't see out of their new glasses and then says, my husband put the on, and he couldn't see either!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I don't know if this only happens to us younger ladies, or to you men as well, but I always get a kick out of patients who come in and let me know they've 'discovered' how to fix their glasses, and have to share this with you as the optician. This morning, very nice older man, came in with a broken nose pad, and he felt the need as an experienced retired engineer, to share his new found knowledge of the inner workings of guard arms and tiny little screws. The difference today was he actually thought he was helping me out, as opposed to most who talk down and are condescending when they tell me how to fix their glasses.
    I hate it when people TELL me how to fix their glasses. If they know so much, why don't they fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I just nod politely...:)then go to the back room to fix them.

Diane
    ...and this is what I do about it. GRR

Al ot of them ask me for their old lenses back so they can "Test" if we have been giving them shatter resistent lenses. I asked how they were going to test them, one told me he wanted to shoot them with a 22 cal at 30 yards just like the military does...... I fought back the laughter so hard
    I'm going to shoot some poly lenses with a 5.56 tonight. I'll try to take pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes1208 View Post
    Or when someone comes in and says they can't see out of their new glasses and then says, my husband put the on, and he couldn't see either!
    Interestingly enough, my lady-friend has the same PD and almost exactly the same rx as I have. We can see much better with either of our glasses than without.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Wes;429955]I'm going to shoot some poly lenses with a 5.56 tonight. I'll try to take pictures. [QUOTE]

I can't Wait to see this. What's the RX or thickness of the lenses?
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Ahh crap. I forgot em at the house. I'll have to do it the next time. +/-6, 68mm finished blanks. Come to think of it, I think I'll try a couple thick unfinished ones too. ;)

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Ahh crap. I forgot em at the house. I'll have to do it the next time. +/-6, 68mm finished blanks. Come to think of it, I think I'll try a couple thick unfinished ones too. ;)
    Wes, Open Invite to come to North Alabama any time and shot with me and the Doc, we love distruction of items, LOL
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last time somebody asked me how they should fix their glasses I told them to grab their car keys and insert them into their ignition, and then bring them to me, and I would fix them properly...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan barber View Post
    the last time somebody asked me how they should fix their glasses i told them to grab their car keys and insert them into their ignition, and then bring them to me, and i would fix them properly...
    love it!!!!!
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Wes, Open Invite to come to North Alabama any time and shot with me and the Doc, we love distruction of items, LOL
    Sweet. What are you shooting?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wanna come too! I'll bring popcorn, ammo and beer!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes it bothers me when people tell me how to fix glasses. However, when adjusting glasses sometimes they can tell me exactly what they want and I can do it or they tell me what to do and it does not work and they realize I know what I am talking about. I figure either way they are happy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a cr39 lens and a poly lens that we tested with a hammer in the shop. One look at those shards, and people want poly. We had to hit the poly over 15 times before it would even crack, and you can see the multiple strike marks. Very effective.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I have a cr39 lens and a poly lens that we tested with a hammer in the shop. One look at those shards, and people want poly. We had to hit the poly over 15 times before it would even crack, and you can see the multiple strike marks. Very effective.
    Wish I had a pic to share, but I had a poly returned under warranty the other day. Semi-rim with both lenses chipped in a half moon shape that showed layers at the top. Was it edged a bit too big and excess compression made it do that?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many people are gonna git hit with a hammer in the eye? None. How many people wish thier glasses stayed clear without scratches and micro-scratches for several years at least? All.

This week-end I ruined a pair of $500.00 lenses with "a coating that has a rockwell hardness higher than glass" bush hoging.
    Remeber every sword has two edges. And most of our marketing is BS.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    This week-end I ruined a pair of $500.00 lenses with "a coating that has a rockwell hardness higher than glass" bush hoging.
    Remeber every sword has two edges. And most of our marketing is BS.
    Um, what were you thinking doing heavy yard work in $500. lenses? That's what your back-ups are for. That and to find your $500. lenses when they've moved someplace you don't remember putting them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Falsename:

The point is that people do ordinary things and we are selling them super duper lenses and coatings and making silly statements sometimes on optiboards that: " I have lots of farmer (mechanic, automotive painter, etc.) customers and have never had a problem.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Falsename:

The point is that people do ordinary things and we are selling them super duper lenses and coatings and making silly statements sometimes on optiboards that: " I have lots of farmer (mechanic, automotive painter, etc.) customers and have never had a problem.

Chip
    That's Ms. FalseName to you and my point is what were you doing out there working in $500. lenses, when you clearly know better. And where in heck did you pay $500. for a FT-28? Isn't that all you wear?

I don't sell AR to mechanics, painters, plumbers, farmers, etc. Even if they say they want AR, I convince them they don't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Sweet. What are you shooting?
    Well we've got an older Printer/Scanner and I've got a ton of Plexy POP signs, and a bunch of displays and random crap we can shoot...... Frankly, who cares what we shoot? LOL
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    I wanna come too! I'll bring popcorn, ammo and beer!
    Come on, Guns and Beer...... What could go wrong?
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Thread Information